Do you make your own bug spray? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What is your recipe?

I read that lavender EO works great. I mixed some with water in a spray bottle but we are still getting ate up. My poor baby boy is sweet like me. The bugs love us.

I have lavender, clove, tea tree and eucalyptus oils currently on hand. I also grow lavender, lemon balm, mint and chamomile. Does anyone have any simple ways of using any of these thay work?

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Lemon Eucalyptus rocks! Not lemon and eucalyptus thought... i usually mix it with a carrier oil  and rub it on thick before hiking. if you're going to be in the open sunlight that might be a problem though...

be good family...

Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use citronella EO. I mix it with witch hazel for a spray application, but you could put it in oil too, I guess. I do about 20 or 30 drops per oz of witch hazel. add whatever else to make it smell better, I usually add lemon balm.

At any rate, don't put lavender EO on your boy anymore until you do some research. I'm under the impression that lavender is a hormone disruptor and increases estrogen production in males, especially kids. Check for yourself, I think i read the study a few years ago... Maybe 2007?

Best of luck.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Vitamin B12 works well for people who are loved by the bugs.  I don't know about using it with kids, though.  For myself, though, it greatly reduced my bites and doesn't smell.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 PM

I do not make my own but have been using All Terrain Herbal Armor.

http://www.allterrainco.com/ecommerce/natural-insect-repellents/4-oz-herbal-armor-spray.html

We camp at least 1 weekend per month from April to December and it's been great!  One bottle lasted me two seasons.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM

I use 2 parts citronella to 1 part eucalyptus, patchouli, lavender, and rosemary, then dilute in a few ounces of cheap vodka for spraying.  The alcohol makes the EO's smell stronger.  :)  I have no idea how well it works on "sweet people," as mosquitos usually avoid me anyway, but it smells nice, anyway.  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!

User Tag List