curly kid morning routine -- comb or just wet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm trying to overhaul and improve what had been our morning routine for my 3 year old DD's curly hair (the kind of curls that form ringlets by themselves).

I've learned to stop brushing it, and we're going to start experimenting with conditioners, detanglers, etc.

My remaining question is: when she wakes up in the morning, her hair looks messy. So I should spray it with water or detangler or leave-in conditioner, or some combination of the three. Should I also comb it, or just spray it, scrunch, and leave it alone?
#2 of 6 Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd also has very curly hair that forms ringlets.  Her hair is really fine, and if I don't wet it and comb it everyday it starts tangling and forming little dreadlocks.  So in the morning I wet her hair, brush, scrunch up her curls and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  It usually ends up really messy less than an hour later (but she is only 2 y.o. winky.gif ).  Once a week or so I'll give it a good conditioning in the bath, but other than that I don't shampoo or anything.  I'm on the lookout for a good homemade detangler recipe if you know of any!

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#3 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Spraying water and a little finger combing can help.  What really helps with my messy-in-the-morning curly hair is using a silk scarf as a pillow case (took one of the kids' old silk playscarfs and just knotted it over the pillow).  It cuts down tremendously on fuzzy hair and snarls.  Don't know why but it does- it works for my friend whose hair is even more prone to tangling too. 

Oyin Handmade makes awesome product for curly hair. 

#4 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLuna View Post

Spraying water and a little finger combing can help.  What really helps with my messy-in-the-morning curly hair is using a silk scarf as a pillow case (took one of the kids' old silk playscarfs and just knotted it over the pillow).  It cuts down tremendously on fuzzy hair and snarls.  Don't know why but it does- it works for my friend whose hair is even more prone to tangling too. 

Oyin Handmade makes awesome product for curly hair. 

I wish my mom tried to figure out what to do with my curly hair when I was little...she used to brush it out, YOW!, and it was looooonnggg.  I think the above is really good advice.

Your DD's lucky - ringlets are GORGEOUS.  love.gif

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 02:35 PM

Meee tooooo!!!  That right there is why I cropped my hair short as a teen and took about 15 years to grow it out again! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraze View Post

I wish my mom tried to figure out what to do with my curly hair when I was little...she used to brush it out, YOW!, and it was looooonnggg. 

#6 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We wash my DD's hair with Beautiful Curls shampoo and then put a little leave-in conditioner from the same line in after she's out of the tub.  In the morning we just spritz with water and finger comb or use a wide toothed comb if it's really a mess.  Her hair is a bit longer now than it was in my avi picture, is really fine, and very curly.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page