Enable me or talk me down (Diva cup) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So our local HFS has finally started carrying menstrual cups -- I don't remember the brand, but it may be Diva....

I have resisted the urge to try them based on reading so many experiences of newbies who have problems or women who couldn't get it to work for them at all. I had resigned myself to using cloth pads the rest of my life, and was fine with that. Then summer hit, and DS can't get enough pool time. I hate the pool, so for the past few years it has been very easy for me to avoid it for a few days here and there when needed. Not now. We go in(to a pool, any pool, ours, community, friends', etc.) EVERY DAY, often multiple times a day. I have to go in with him; this is not optional. Sooo..... I'm thinking about buying a cup. (I can't really use tampons -- describing the issue would be way TMI, but I just can't.)

My concern is that if it doesn't work, I'm out a LOT of money. I mean, it's not like I can resell the thing on craigslist (or anywhere, really). If it were $10, I'd gamble. But I hate the idea of spending so much money on something I will only use a few times a year and that has a high likelihood of not working at all for me.

Talk me into (or out of) this!

#2 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had a Diva cup for about a year and I LOVE it! yes there is a bit of a learning curve at first. My biggest issue was taking it out. There were times when I managed to get blood EVERYWHERE. But, after a cycle or two, you learn. I've had no more trouble putting the cup in properly than with a tampon. And one advantage the cup has over a tampon is that if you put it in wrong - you just take it out and try again. Unlike with a tampon, where if you don't have a second one with you you're screwed. I've done that with tampons - been at work and just grabbed one to run to the restroom - only to have issues and have to do the folded up toilet paper routine because I had to take the tampon out. Another thing I love is that it doesn't matter where I go or what I'm doing as long as my period doesn't START unexpectedly while I'm out - everything I need to manage things is right with me. I once was trapped overnight by a storm at my pregnant sister's house. She obviously had NOTHING due to not needing it. If I had been using pads or tampons I would have been in serious trouble - but the cup was a breeze.

#3 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I use the mooncup and its awesome, makes me not mind my period, lol. I get rash from disposable pads and could never insert tampons on the first try. The cup takes practice at first, and can be very awkward. There were times when I had trouble removing it, and once dropped it in the toilet (always flush before trying to remove/insert), but once I got the hang of using it after a few cycles, I never looked back. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#4 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tried the keeper and the diva cup.  I loved them, but prefer the diva cup because it felt less rigid for me so was more comfortable.

As others have said, there is a learning curve, but for me it didn't take long.  There are even videos online.  That's saying something, because tampons were a challenge for me.  I will definately go back to using my diva cup when the time comes!

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#5 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 AM

Well, I'm not sure why tampons don't work for you but a Diva cup may. Who knows if you'll have issues until you try it but I definitely think it's worth it. I've used a diva cup for a few years now without problems, and I figured out the best way to use it for myself quickly.

The only thing is that I'm still using the size 1, post childbirth (because I'd just bought a replacement before getting pregnant) and I had to cut the tip off after having my son and I think it does shift a little now so I will be buying a size 2, as recommended, and I think it'll work fine since I had no issues before having my son.

Mama to Chu born July 2010

Excitedly expecting somebody new in August 2012

#6 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes. That's ANOTHER factor I forgot about... Size!

I have never been pg/given birth, but I am "older" -- How do I know what size to get???

#7 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM

I'd say go for it! It might be a bit of a risk but if it ends up working for you it will save you so much money in the long run. Plus if for some reason you don't get the hang of it after a few cycles (which I am sure you will), it's not like you have to give up and throw the cup away. You can always put it away and come back to it later when you feel like trying again.

I'm not sure how much they were charging for the cup at your health food store but we have them on sale on Lunapads.com for $34.99. Plus you can sign up for our Newsletter and get a $5 off coupon so your shipping will basically be free!

If you are over 30 you will need a size 2 cup.

#8 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Just curious-- so do you HAVE to buy the new size after childbirth or after you've reached 30? I gave birth last month and will be 30 soon. I was hoping I would be able to still use the same one.... 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#9 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, doing even more reading... Umm... Anyone DTD while the cup is in? (Not that this is a selling point at all in any way... I just read that it was a "pro" for cups v. tampons, and had no idea you could do such a thing! Can you? Do you?)

#10 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM

@azhie: I'd say keep using it and see what happens. The difference in diameter between Size 1 and 2 is 1/8 of an inch, so it's pretty neglible IMO.

@swd12422: Get Size 2. The manufacturer suggests that our hips and body gets a bit wider as we age. 

The one thing about using the DivaCup (or any menstrual cup) is to be patient with yourself. You may not get it right the first few times. There are lots of decent videos on YouTube etc. to refer to. (and the Lunagals are always just a phone call away.) I hadn't used my cup for several years while pregnant and breastfeeding. When I finally got back to using it, it got stuck the first time I tried to remove it. I kinda freaked out and told my husband I might need his help. He chuckled and said to me "why don't you wait 30 minutes, go for a walk, relax and try again later?" which he knows is what I tell women when they call me! And of course he was right. It came out fine.

The other problem women sometimes experience is leaking. Again, that is simply a matter of practice in getting the cup to open up properly, positioned low enough, etc. Just be patient, practice and once you get the hang of it, you'll be soooooo happy!

As for using it while DTD? Ouch! I'd say no. I think it would be very uncomfortable. But then again, I've never tried it! Maybe others have? I've also heard some women turn the cup inside out so the stem isn't poking out. (hmm, period sex, as my sexual health pal Kim Anami calls it, can be fun if your partner is up for it...) winky.gif

I'm Suzanne, mom to 2 boys aged 8 & 4.
#11 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 05:25 PM

I've been using the Diva cup/Keeper for 15 years, and I highly recommend them.  The keeper wore out after the first 7 years, and I switched to the diva cup 1.  I have now switched to #2 after giving birth.  I tried using #1 for the first few months, and it worked, but things just felt "looser" and for the first time I felt nervous about an accident.  I'm back to feeling super confident with #2.  To new users who are just learning how to use the diva cup, I recommend practicing in the shower, the mess just washes away.  Once you figure it out, the comfort will amaze you.

#12 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 PM

I've been using the diva cup for about 4 years and I wish I had found it wayyyy sooner. For the first couple months my hand was covered in blood every time I removed it.  I just kept a package of baby wipes in my purse and used that to clean off the cup/my hand if I was out in public.  You must try it!  I'm not sure how much you are paying for it but I've gotten some good deals by shopping around online.  My first cup was only $15 with some awesome deals.  I think I paid $26 including shipping when I bought a new one in January.  I do recommend cutting the stem off when you get it though.  I was never able to use it with the stem and since there are ridges on the bottom of the cup you can use those to grip onto when removing it.

As for the sex while wearing it.. that sounds pretty impossible!

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#13 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 PM

I don't think you can DTD with real menstrual cups like Diva/Lunette/Keeper etc.... There are stemless cups called Instead that are supposed to be disposed of after one period. I've heard that it is possible to DTD with the Instead cups in... I had a Diva before I had kids and I got a size 2 Keeper cup and used it four times between kids. I think the Keeper was a bit more comfortable and less leaky. I would get a Keeper again any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Okay, doing even more reading... Umm... Anyone DTD while the cup is in? (Not that this is a selling point at all in any way... I just read that it was a "pro" for cups v. tampons, and had no idea you could do such a thing! Can you? Do you?)

be good family...

#14 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Just making sure because you said DS (i assume it stands for "dear son")... and pg stands for pregnant?

#15 of 40 Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Yikes. That's ANOTHER factor I forgot about... Size!

I have never been pg/given birth, but I am "older" -- How do I know what size to get???

I went with the whole "tightness" thing. My OB told me I can't dilate to a full 10 cm, which is why my son got stuck during labor. So I'm more inclined to say, smaller may be safer for me. Either way, I have the Diva Cup Size #1 and I adore it!

The only "warning" I would give is that you canNOT be squeamish about your blood/fluids, cuz at first you will end up getting your hands dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaz-b View Post

I've been using the Diva cup/Keeper for 15 years, and I highly recommend them.  The keeper wore out after the first 7 years, and I switched to the diva cup 1.  I have now switched to #2 after giving birth.  I tried using #1 for the first few months, and it worked, but things just felt "looser" and for the first time I felt nervous about an accident.  I'm back to feeling super confident with #2.  To new users who are just learning how to use the diva cup, I recommend practicing in the shower, the mess just washes away.  Once you figure it out, the comfort will amaze you.

I totally agree with the shower. That's still my fav place to change it.

FYI, since I'm still bfing, my periods are light and sporadic, and because of that, I sometimes go 24 hours between changing. As long as I clean the cup off thoroughly when I have the chance, I have NEVER had an issue. I am very sensitive to chemicals and latex, but the silicone of the Diva Cup doesn't bother me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelinesMama View Post

I've been using the diva cup for about 4 years and I wish I had found it wayyyy sooner. For the first couple months my hand was covered in blood every time I removed it.  I just kept a package of baby wipes in my purse and used that to clean off the cup/my hand if I was out in public.  You must try it!  I'm not sure how much you are paying for it but I've gotten some good deals by shopping around online.  My first cup was only $15 with some awesome deals.  I think I paid $26 including shipping when I bought a new one in January.  I do recommend cutting the stem off when you get it though.  I was never able to use it with the stem and since there are ridges on the bottom of the cup you can use those to grip onto when removing it.

As for the sex while wearing it.. that sounds pretty impossible!

Sex is a definite no, but I've found that by not "stoppering" the flow, you can take the cup out and have almost no mess for about an hour... Just saying... thumb.gif

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#16 of 40 Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 AM

I've been using my diva cup for about 6 months. I love it! It is a trial and error process until you figure out what works for you and it takes a couple of days. You also have to be very comfortable with your body. I decided to go with the diva cup because with an IUD I have an extremely heavy flow day. When I was looking for mine I discovered that the diva holds the most which sold me.

If you shop around you can get one pretty cheap. I got mine on amazon for $20 or $25.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#17 of 40 Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Dia

Okay, I will attempt to talk you into it! 

I LOVE the Diva cup. I have been using it about 1 1/2 years. Will never, ever go back to anything else. I'd guess I have saved hundreds of dollars in disposable products since making the switch.

The first two cycles I had to practice with it, as others say, there is a learning curve. But it is so worth it. I never stress out about my period now, like it coinciding with a trip, etc. It's totally changed how I feel about it. Really, I love it! 

Interesting side effect I also noticed: no cramps and lighter flow.

Regarding the sex question, I would say that's a no, to P in V sex, but you can very easily enjoy other, ah, activities, (unlike with pad or tampon usage), if you catch what I am saying. ;-)

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#18 of 40 Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Do you ladies have some advice about getting it out? I tried it for the first time today and while I figured out how to put it in easily (the videos are good) I freaked when I checked after 30 minutes and couldn't feel it (I did not trim the stem). Sure enough while squatting down and like pushing out a baby I could move it down and grasp it, but it left me quite freaked! Is it normal to "disappear" and that you have to bear down to get it out? Can it disappear at all with me needing a doc to fish it out? It scared me lots!!!! LOL!

#19 of 40 Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, that happens sometimes. It depends on how "deep" you are.

No, it cannot get "lost" as it is way too big to enter through the cervix.

That is actually a characteristic that I like. With tampons, I could feel the bottom end of it while sitting and it bugged me so much. The Diva gets up there and sits all nice and not bothering.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#20 of 40 Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Is there a trick to get it out more easily? I felt like I had to bear down and the grasp the stem at the same time and I couldn't fold it at all so it came out all opened which is quite huge and ouchie? Sorry TMI...

#21 of 40 Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

Is there a trick to get it out more easily? I felt like I had to bear down and the grasp the stem at the same time and I couldn't fold it at all so it came out all opened which is quite huge and ouchie? Sorry TMI...

I wear mine inside out because the stem was poking me. Anyway, I pinch the base of the cup which causes it to fold a little and slowly pull at an angle. That way, one edge of the cup comes out first and it dumps into the toilet. Once I have it a little bit out and it's dumped, then I pinch it a bit harder and force it to fold in on itself a little more which makes it more comfortable to pull out.

That makes it sound really complicated but it only takes about 2 seconds.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#22 of 40 Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm convinced! Thank you all. I'm waiting for my gyn visit next month to make sure there are no issues that might make it a bad idea, and maybe she can help me figure out what size/type I need, since I have NO idea if I'm "short" or "long"!

#23 of 40 Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM

I think one mistake a lot of women make is inserting the DivaCup too far up in the first place. It is supposed to sit low in the vaginal canal with the stem 'almost' poking out.

As for removal, the few times I've had trouble getting it out, I did need to bear down. But, once I learned not to insert it so high in the first place, it didn't 'migrate' higher or disappear.

If it is truly stuck, relax, and try again later. I once tried for 15 minutes and had a bit of a panic like you. But, I went for a relaxing walk/bath and tried again later. It sometimes helps if your flow is heavier. Are you able to break the seal when you remove it? That can sometimes be an issue.

@dia: I totally get what you mean and agree it is an unmentioned benefit!

I'm Suzanne, mom to 2 boys aged 8 & 4.
#24 of 40 Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 PM

You have already gotten a lot of great responses. I didn't read all of them but had to comment. 

I had been researching the diva cup for 7 months and was so scared to try it. Mainly because of the price. I only knew one person in real life who used one and hated it. I too can't do tampons and that made me even more nervous. But I love it! I forget I am even on my period! For me I got the hang of it right away but it wasn't comfortable because it was too long. But I had read of people trimming the stem or even turning it inside out. So I trimmed the stem all the way to the base of the cup (I just bear down to get it out) and that didn't fix the problem so I flipped it inside out. Perfect!! I couldn't even tell it was there. Let me tell you I have had mine for around a yr and will never go back! 

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#25 of 40 Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 AM

I had one, it was ok.  I didn't love it, but it served its purpose.  It didn't leak, and I couldn't feel it.  Getting it out was a pain.  I couldn't ever do it without a major mess (and I had the thing for 3 years).  Sometimes it would cause cramping, but nothing major.  

Then I lost it.  I packed it for a trip, and never saw it again, I looked EVERYWHERE.  

About a year of just pads, and sometimes tampons, I got sick of dealing with those, I was about to buy another Diva. Then I remembered the Instead Softcups, and decided to give them a try.

They are disposable, you're technically supposed to use it once and toss it, but no one actually does that.  I wash and reuse for one cycle.  They have all the conveniences of the diva cup (wear it for 12 hours, can't feel it, doesn't dry you out), but are much easier to remove and insert, and they're cheap, about $7 for a box of 14.  That lasts a year!  Still messy to remove (maybe I'm just uncoordinated), but there's a trick to emptying it without removing it (if you have heavy days).  You can bear down and get it to empty, then it slides back into place, and and hands stay clean.  Takes some practice, but it does work.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#26 of 40 Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhie View Post

Just curious-- so do you HAVE to buy the new size after childbirth or after you've reached 30? I gave birth last month and will be 30 soon. I was hoping I would be able to still use the same one.... 

Give it a try, it worked fine for me - I'm 31 and just had a baby in March.  I was worried it wouldn't suction or would slide down after I insert it but it seems to work just the same as before (I tried it right from my first PP period at 2.5 months post partum).

#27 of 40 Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 PM

@swd12422 I just want to assure that that tampons and the DivaCup are totally apples and oranges (more like pineapples and spaghetti!) when it comes to use and how they feel. So, just because tampons are a no-go for you does not necessarily indicate the same being true for cups. I was actually afraid to try the DivaCup (and prior to that, the Keeper) because I had been allergic to tampons, and am also fairly petite with light periods. As most of the women who have posted have said, I agree that it can take some getting used to, however the important thing is to keep trying and to give it time. I reckon that it probably took me about 3-4 cycles both before and after I had DD to feel really confident using it - now it's not a problem and I LOVE it, especially for the reason you state: swimming with kids in the summer!

@nia82 About removal, I have found that it's most comfortable for me to take it out on an angle (ie so the opening is almost vertical), fairly quickly, with my other hand just below to catch any spills that may happen.

Good luck, everyone!

#28 of 40 Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 PM

go for it!  i started using my diva cup a few months ago and i went swimming with it the first weekend!  i still back it up with cloth pads just because i am still getting the hang of it and i have a very heavy flow.  i talked myself out of it for YEARS because i have a heavy flow and i figured i wouldn't be able to use it.  that is totally not the case at all.  i wish i would have purchased one years ago because it is amazing!  as others have said, yes, there is a learning curve but i would just back it up with a cloth pad for the first few cycles and you will get the hang of it.  i actually just recommended it to a friend of mine and she loves it!  i haven't ever heard anything bad from people who actually use them.  

#29 of 40 Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 AM

I LOVE cups compared to tampons or pads. I don't have to worry about leaks, and they don't have to be changed every couple hours. It was a little tricky to get in the first few times, and I did need to trim the stem. After awhile I figured out that getting the cup wet helps it go in easier. I don't think I'll go back, except for the postpartum period when I can't use cups.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#30 of 40 Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM

I have been using my Diva Cup for 4 years.  I was a tampon user before taking the plunge and giving the cup a try.  I love my cup for every reason mentioned above, but also because there is no waste.  I live in the country and am on a septic system.  I can not dispose of tampons in the toilet.  I used to use half a roll of toilet paper to wrap up my used tampons so they could go into the garbage can and pray that the cat or the kids wouldn't accidently find it.  I love that I don't have that worry anymore!  I also can use the toilet many times between cup dumps, where with tampons I found that every time I used the toilet (#1 or #2) I'd need to change my tampon.  (poop moved the tampon down and almost out, and pee on the string is GROSS)  I plan on introducing my daughter to her own Diva Cup as soon as her menstrual cycles begin, and I think she'll love me for it! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page