How to go no poo during the summer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been trying to switch out, but with the summer, it's making my hair feel really greasy, and it's gross. No amount of baking soda of ACV will help. 

any suggestions?

#2 of 4 Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I found summer the easiest time to transition, b/c I could slick my hair back and wear it up, and no one would know it was greasy rather than gelled back. Gross, I know, but there is a transition period that is really hard. Also, I found the more BS/ACV I used (both quantity and frequency) the worse my hair got. I finally realized that if I just left it alone and used water-only to "shampoo" my hair, the roots are far less greasy than with BS/ACV.

What I would do is clean my hair with a tiny bit of BS just on the roots, rinse with diluted ACV, and then do water-only for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. It can't get too much worse, right? And if your hair is long enough to pull back/up in a pony tail, it won't matter much.

I've found that the key to water-only for me is that you have to scrub your scalp just like you do with shampoo and conditioner, not just wet your hair down. Also, I turn my head upside down while scrubbing and rinsing, to get as much of my scalp/roots clean. Then I rinse in cold water upside down. It gives my hair a lift and keeps the grease from weighing it down too much. (I have wavy hair, YMMV if your hair is straight/thin/fine.)

#3 of 4 Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM

It has been a few months since I dumped petroleum body care products. I am basically on a twice a week experimental treatment plan. BS does not do a great job for me. I am a fine haired blond mama, so 80% of the ideas for no poo hair care are not meant for me. Tommorrow I will make my own camomile shampoo. Here is my hard to find recipes.

http://hairrecipes.homestead.com/shampoorecipes.html

Cool hair info

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Holistic-Approach-to-Hair-Care

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#4 of 4 Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 PM

How long have you been going without shampoo? I'm approaching my third year without, I started in October of '08. It took a few weeks until I was happy with how it looked and even a couple months until I was totally sold on the idea. Now it's shiny and tangle free (my hair is thin, blond and beyond my shoulder blades).

Keep with it and just keep experimenting if you like the idea. My biggest tip is to boil 5 cups of water, then turn off the heat, add 4 Tbs. of baking soda and fill an old Dr. Bronners bottle with that. For some reason heating the water up and dissolving the b/s in that makes a huge difference. If I don't do that my hair is a gross mess. Give that a try. I also rinse with a solution of 50/50 water/acv.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page