Sensitive Lips (dry and itchy) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This started basically at the very beginning of my pregnancy--before I even thought it was an option that I was pregnant. My lips got really dry and I had to use chap stick often, then after about a month, they developed an itch. I put up with it until I'd wake up in the middle of the night scratching my lips (which of course, only make them hurt). I tried all kinds of chap sticks, then moved on to lotions. Vaseline worked, though I didn't want to have to use it all the time, especially since it was about 3 times every day, but then even that stopped working and the itch would come. My midwife suggested coconut oil, olive oil, my neighbor suggested Crisco, I tried vitamin E oil... it would either stop the itch or fail to moisturize my skin, but nothing would do both. A friend finally suggested Nivea lip gloss. It worked decently--still a slight itch now and then, but nothing too bad. The problem is, I will have more days now where the itch comes back almost bad enough to wake me and I'm having to apply the stuff more often than I want (I did also try the Nivea Milk and Honey chap stick so it's not just a gloss, but it's pretty much the same effect).

I read some helpful advice on dry skin in a thread about chapped lips, but I was wondering if anyone has had it so bad that it itches and hurts as well, and what you did to remedy it? (Preferably natural stuff, but I know the Nivea has fragrance and color and junk so I'm not TOO picky)

(I have also thought about allergic reactions, but it's been pretty constant no matter what I eat or don't eat)

Happily married to Tigger, SAHM to baby Roo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page