cloth for preteen/tween - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm researching the options before having a shopping discussion with my 11 year old (who hasn't started her period, but I really want to be prepared).  Right now, her reaction every time I try to discuss periods or bras is extreme denial.  I won't force her to wear a bra, but obviously, you can't really avoid menstruation.

My first memories are cloudy, but I do remember my mother trying to explain how to use an OB tampon in a Kmart bathroom.  I'd like to avoid that type of experience with my DD.

I have been using cloth since she was born, so it's really all my DD's know.  I realize that disposables are much more common, but I'd like for her to at least TRY cloth.  

Any recommendations?  Ideas for saving money?  I'm not going to make them - and I want her to have something she *wants*.

thanks

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#2 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 PM

maybe you can shop online with her and find her some that are patterns and colours she really likes?

Wolfcat likes this.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

That is the plan, but I don't even know where to start since I've never "shopped" for them before!  I bought 4 different types over the past 11 years from diaper companies for me, just "because" they were easy to tag onto the orders.  I will show them to her, but I just really don't think I'd "want" to use them if I were in her shoes ...

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#4 of 8 Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Kinda expensive but these are the ones I've seen recommended before http://lunapads.com/pads-and-liners.html

I just use flannel I cut up, myself, but as a teen I'd definitely not want to do that, these nice ones could work if she's used to the idea already. A handy, discrete recepticle in the bathroom for them is a must. Disposable pads for when she goes out all day should be around as an option, she's def. not going to want to carry used ones around much. Don't try to make her talk about it, just get nice ones let her know where the cloth and disposables are and that it could happen any time in the next couple years. Let her know it's not too big a deal just wear a pad and eat some chocolate if she feels like it :).

#5 of 8 Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 PM

etsy is your friend! I have pads from mom's crafts 4u, naturally hip, blossom pads and punky pads and there are some pretty funky patterns and styles. Even if you just search "cloth pad" on etsy you can find tons :)

#6 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM

I have a few different kinds and find GEM Cloth to be a good balance between quality and cost:

http://gemcloth.webs.com/padsinstock.htm

And she has some shorter "petite" pads here: http://gemcloth.webs.com/clearance.htm

Her pads are the majority of my stash, they are pretty, well made, and affordable.

If you have a bigger budget Homestead Emporium has lovely stuff - bamboo or silk instead of cotton, custom dyed fabrics, etc.  She is pretty popular, her store stocks on Fridays:

http://hyenacart.com/HomesteadEmporium/

I really prefer supporting WAHM sellers and there are so many options out there no matter what you're looking for!

ETA: Maybe also consider getting her a double-sided wetbag for clean/used pads for when she's out of the house?

#7 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 PM

double sided wet bags is what i use! I got a nice one from sweet baby bottoms for 12 bucks

#8 of 8 Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 AM

I give my daughter money and she buys what she wants.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page