Did you give up on no-poo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been almost two weeks and I think I'm quitting no-poo. greensad.gif We're going on a week vacation for my birthday next week and my hair has been greasy every single day no matter what I do. I've used BS, ACV, honey, TTO, and lavender EO. I've done the BS wash every other day, I've diluted the ACV rinse even more. I've skipped the ACV all together (which made my hair feel like straw, and then the next morning (today) it is totally greasy again.

My hair looks like greasy beach hair, KWIM? I'm not willing to forever look like I am sporting the greasy "wet look" and have my hair in a bun eternally just to avoid shampoo. greensad.gif I'm SO bummed this isn't working.

Thoughts? Help! I really want to continue, but I can't go out in public like this.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 30 Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Going no poo can take a month or more for some people's hair to adjust. Give it time! It's totally worth it! (Check out the forums at naturallycurly.com if you haven't already. It's very helpful.)

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#3 of 30 Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 PM

I quit no-poo.  I did it for 3 months, and it didn't work.  It was OK for a while, but then it was awful, and my hair was just oily, gross, and disgusting.  Now, its still not perfect, but at least it looks clean.

#4 of 30 Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaV View Post

Going no poo can take a month or more for some people's hair to adjust. Give it time! It's totally worth it! (Check out the forums at naturallycurly.com if you haven't already. It's very helpful.)

A month?!? Oh no! How do you look decent out in public until then? Yikes. I have straight hair, and it looks really greasy all over, not just on the roots.

#5 of 30 Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post

A month?!? Oh no! How do you look decent out in public until then? Yikes. I have straight hair, and it looks really greasy all over, not just on the roots.

The bolded made me giggle.  I had the same question and problem when I tried it.  I did wear my hair up, but it really did not look good - I thought it looked like I didn't want to wash it so I just wore it up.  It didn't lay nicely because it was heavy and greasy.  No poo did not work for me after a fairly lengthy trial.  

I have gone through both a funky stage with no-poo and a flat out greasy stage.  The funky stage was okay because I could wear my hair up, but the greasy/heavy stage was just pure awful.

#6 of 30 Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 PM

Good luck to you... I think you should stick it through though!

I have to admit though that I've been no poo over 2 months and have had bad greasy hair since about day 4... I'm working on it still! There are many different things to try, though I haven't had too much lucky.

It's definitely a waiting game though, and it will be worth it for us! Our hair doesn't need all those chemicals. Just be patient and put your hair up if it looks bad... always works for me! :)

#7 of 30 Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I did it when I was visiting Europe for the summer and nobody knew who I was smile.gif you could try that wink1.gif

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#8 of 30 Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM
2xy

I tried it a few years ago and it made my hair look greasy and feel like straw.

FWIW, not all of us have hair long enough to pull up. My hair is cut in a chin-length choppy bob. It's also straight and fine.

#9 of 30 Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I tried it a few years ago and it made my hair look greasy and feel like straw.

FWIW, not all of us have hair long enough to pull up. My hair is cut in a chin-length choppy bob. It's also straight and fine.

Yes, true, but when your hair isn't long enough to go up, you can use other accessories to help.

#10 of 30 Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

Yes, true, but when your hair isn't long enough to go up, you can use other accessories to help.

I suppose, but I don't think my boss would have approved of me showing up for work week after week with dirty-looking hair. Turns customers off.

#11 of 30 Old 08-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I suppose, but I don't think my boss would have approved of me showing up for work week after week with dirty-looking hair. Turns customers off.

Advice is given with the assumption that people will use common sense on what will and won't work for them/their situation.  wink1.gif

I had a problem with no-poo, too, and though I work from home, if I had a client meeting or something else business-related to attend, I would simply do something to correct the problem.  That is what would work for me.  I am not willing to sacrifice my business or a client relationship over shampoo use.  

#12 of 30 Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM

I've been no-poo for about 4 months now.  At first it was definitely the greasy beach hair feeling.  I just wore my hair in a bun.  For short hair, you could use barrettes to create a messy looking style... maybe?  But, after the first month or so, my hair evened out.  Now, I only wash it every 4 days or so.  My only issues with no-poo is that my hair is still kind of frizzy.  It also lays totally flat on top which looks awful.  I'm not sure how to remedy it, but I think I'm going to try what this gal does.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q67PhC8V1bE  My hair is also wavy, so I want to start using a straight iron, I think.  Or, if I can make the waves look more like curls and less frizzy, then I'd do that.  The video link also shows how to make no-heat waves.  I've been looking more into that too.  I love no-poo in that I hardly have to wash my hair and it isn't oily anymore.  I basically wash it to liven it up a bit and freshen the smell. :)

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#13 of 30 Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

OP here. Not sure if this is cheating or not, but what I ended up doing (since we were going on vacation for my birthday and I didn't want to look so greasy in the photos) was to "wash" with a very natural conditioner, one that has no bad ingredients. I massaged my scalp with it, and did a bit on my ends. It helped take away some of the greasiness. I also started doing BS/ACV every other day (with less BS and ACV than I was using before), with the conditioner "wash" on the off days. Basically I stopped the hot water washes, and have always used *something* every night in the shower.

I think I am going to gradually put in a hot water wash here and there to see how my hair reacts and take it slowly. I may not be doing no-poo 100% according to the letter of the law, but at least I haven't used any shampoo smile.gif and so far it works for me.

#14 of 30 Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have finally been able to go no poo after cutting my hair all the way off.  I plan on growing out again nice and healthy.  When my hair was longer (shoulder length), it was very hard to go through the adjustment period.  With short hair, there is no adjustment period!  Cutting your hair is clearly not for everyone, but it's a suggestion...

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried this... would your scalp produce less oil if you actually added MORE oil to your hair (like coconut or jojoba?). 

#15 of 30 Old 10-02-2011, 11:12 AM

I tried no-poo for two weeks.  I stopped when my husband, who is eternally oblivious to my hair or any aspect of my appearance, finally commented that my hair felt really greasy.  But I was on the edge because my hair became SO ITCHY.  I don't see others complaining about that.  

I've found my hair gets super itchy unless I do a double shampoo / then conditioner every second or third day.  I generally now use Jason's anti- dandruff/seborreah shampoo w/sulfer and that really helps let me go longer between shampoos, but again, not much over a third day.

My hair is very thick and love the no-poo look ... looks gorgeous on me, all wavy and shiny.  But if feels terrible.  Even to my hubber.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#16 of 30 Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM

I had to slowly step down to be even vaguely presentable and not feel like I should wring my hair out over the salad bowl or something. It looked something like this: first, use less and less shampoo. Then skip a day every once in a while and use a ton of BS instead. Then alternate BS/shampoo days. Then dilute the shampoo with water. And so on, until I didn't need shampoo at all and only did BS about twice a week. This took months, but in the meanwhile I didn't feel completely gross or start breaking out all over my face from my nasty greasy hair. redface.gif

If I had to go somewhere and couldn't have greasy hair, I would just wash it in whatever manner made it look okay.
#17 of 30 Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 AM

I'm glad I didn't give up. My hair has quit being greasy and now is AMAZING! I can't believe the difference. I'm glad I stuck it through more than 2 months of grease. The thing I did change though was that my weekly baking soda/water routine became more in depth. I made it less watery and more pastey and scrubbed it more and let it sit. Someone recommended that and it changed it all.

#18 of 30 Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Don't give up! My hair took months, but I think it would have adjusted faster if I'd just gone water-only sooner. BS/ACV was great b/c I felt like I was cleaning my hair, but then it was greasy. So I cut back to weekly, then bi-weekly, and got greasy anyway. Finally, after months of grossness (I'm a SAHM....) I shampooed with regular clarifying shampoo and then went water only. I "wash" my hair every day, just without anything. I scrub my scalp like I did with shampoo, rinse, comb  through like I did with conditioner, then rinse with cold water. It works great! (But I have curly, frizzy hair. YMMV if you have straight/fine hair. Worth a try, though!)

#19 of 30 Old 10-06-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't given up yet, but I am using a clarifying *conditioner* from time to time (on scalp and hair shaft/ends, too) Is that cheating?

Also, my hair is falling out LIKE CRAZY. Hopefully this is just a postpartum thing, and not to do with no-poo.

#20 of 30 Old 11-02-2011, 07:12 AM

I am Water Only, but from what I've read about BS/ACV it sounds like you are washing your hair too often. Baking soda can have the same effect as shampoo as far as stripping your hair if you use it too often and your hair will go into sebum production overdrive.

Before you quit think about why you started no poo in the first place. Was it just an experiment? Do you want to stick it to the man? Was your hair awful and you're trying to improve it?

There are many different ways to go no poo. Some people start by diluting their shampoo and using it less often. You can cut your shampoo consumption in half that way without sacrificing much.  If you're trying to improve the health and texture of your hair Conditioner Only is a good option to try. A lot of people have problems with baking soda (especially people with dry, fine hair that is fragile like mine) and find that water only is the best way to wash. You can run into a whole host of complications if you have hard water, and some peoples problems are cured by using filtered or boiled water followed by an acid rinse (which could be diluted ACV, but could also be white vinegar, lemon juice, or tea).

There are also lots of ways to make your hair look better on in between days. I have short hair and I can't put it up so before I go out I "brush" my hair with a hot wash cloth and follow it up with a cold water "brush". It takes about 5 minutes and breaks up the stringy greasy look. If I follow up with a boar bristle brush my hair feels clean and looks like it has some of that "bed head" product in it. There are a lot of options for you to try before you quit!

If it is important to you to look your best on your vacation, you can always use shampoo and then try again when you get back.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#21 of 30 Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 AM

My hair fell out like crazy after both babies. It was summertime when I shed after my second baby, hair fell on my back and arms and made me feel like I had creepy crawlies. I hate it!

Anyone who tells you that you are "cheating" on your own personal hair-care choice really has some issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post

I haven't given up yet, but I am using a clarifying *conditioner* from time to time (on scalp and hair shaft/ends, too) Is that cheating?
Also, my hair is falling out LIKE CRAZY. Hopefully this is just a postpartum thing, and not to do with no-poo.

#22 of 30 Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 AM

My husband did it for several months several years ago.  It took about 4-5 weeks for his scalp to adjust (and he's an oily guy).  Once it did, he looked great!  His curls were lovely, his hair was definitely clean.  But then we went on a roadtrip (camping) to the semi-arid west and the extremely dry air did a number on both of us.  He had to go back to a conditioner and shampoo regimen after that and hasn't felt the need to experiment with no poo again.  Doing CO made his hair really oily, so he went back to traditional methods.

I was pregnant and my hair had increased growth then and some pretty horrible results from the arid climate. Think bushy straw bales.  I recall sitting under the hand dryers at Badlands NP campground, soaking myself (face, hands, hair) in olive oil to try to stop resembling a mummy.  My skin cracked and my hair just turned to straw.

I never gave no poo much of a chance (3-4 weeks) because the baking soda solution stripped the henna from my hair and made my roots look really dull.  And it itched.  A lot.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#23 of 30 Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM

I do "no-poo lite". I still use shampoo, but only every 4 or 5 days. I started with every other day about five months ago. Before I get in the shower, I give my hair a very good brushing. Then, when I am showering, I scrub my scalp with hot water and rinse thoroughly. After a month or so, as my hair adjusts, i've been adding one more water only day. If my hair seems exceptionally greasy on day 4, I rub conditioner in to the roots and then rinse it out in the shower. I can't stand the greasy look or smell of my hair, so this gradual stepping method has been great for me. My hair looks and feels so so so much better now.
#24 of 30 Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 PM

I tried no-poo and loved it. I used baking soda but found I liked bentonite clay even better for the wash and still used diluted ACV for the rinse. I had to find the right mix of water and ACV and it took a few times or else my hair felt like straw. But when I got it right, it was lovely. 

I only used the clay or baking soda at the roots, never all the way through the hair. i figured it washes through the hair anyway as I rinse.

The problem was - it completely stripped the hair color out of my hair. I am grey and color my hair back to my natural brown. Both the baking soda and the clay stripped the color out of my hair more and more. This was over 4 weeks and only washing my hair with the no-poo every 3-4 days or so. 

But I found that if I brush my hair really well daily, it isn't greasy. I find a natural bristle brush is good, but even better seems to be a wooden comb. It distributes the oils and leaves my hair very clean. I can wait to shampoo my hair for 5-6 days or so. 

If anyone has any suggestions for a no-poo for color treated hair, I'd love to know. I have tried plain 'shampoo' bars which are more natural, but my hair feels horrible when I use those.

#25 of 30 Old 11-04-2011, 05:43 AM

Maybe you can try new techniques with the shampoo bar.

Shampoo bars require an acid rinse, especially if you have hard water otherwise you will literally get soap scum on your hair! (eep!) An acid rinse should take care of most of it but you might get some buildup. If you find your hair getting waxy and stiff, do a clarifying wash with a good shampoo or a soap/baking soda mix. Also, it doesn't need to be special "shampoo" soap.. you can use any brand of pure castile soap. Try a couple different ones and see which is right for you.

The best way to wash with a shampoo bar is to lather up a washcloth and then ring the washcloth out over your head, this dilutes the soap so it is not as harsh on your hair.

Or you could always be a renegray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbithorns View Post

I tried no-poo and loved it. I used baking soda but found I liked bentonite clay even better for the wash and still used diluted ACV for the rinse. I had to find the right mix of water and ACV and it took a few times or else my hair felt like straw. But when I got it right, it was lovely. 

I only used the clay or baking soda at the roots, never all the way through the hair. i figured it washes through the hair anyway as I rinse.

The problem was - it completely stripped the hair color out of my hair. I am grey and color my hair back to my natural brown. Both the baking soda and the clay stripped the color out of my hair more and more. This was over 4 weeks and only washing my hair with the no-poo every 3-4 days or so. 

But I found that if I brush my hair really well daily, it isn't greasy. I find a natural bristle brush is good, but even better seems to be a wooden comb. It distributes the oils and leaves my hair very clean. I can wait to shampoo my hair for 5-6 days or so. 

If anyone has any suggestions for a no-poo for color treated hair, I'd love to know. I have tried plain 'shampoo' bars which are more natural, but my hair feels horrible when I use those.

#26 of 30 Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM

sometimes i wonder how 'clean' hair is supposed to feel and how naturally clean hair actually feels. i haven't washed my hair since i colored and conditioned it on tuesday (just the roots) and now on saturday it's got that slightly flat and oily feel, but i'm brushing it like crazy and it's feeling a less of both. i've heard some people say you could just wash with water in the shower and if you keep it well brushed, that's enough. the fact that i have really oily hair and have never gone for more than 2 days without it looking like an oil slick until i started washing it less but brushing it more gives me some hope for cutting out all washing products altogether. (okay except for the color every three weeks but i rarely color all the hair - just root touch-ups) but i understand how that slightly oily feel would make us think our hair is dirty.

maybe that's what healthy hair feels like. how would we know if our only gauge has been shampooed hair and 'not yet shampooed' hair. what does completely unshampooed healthy hair feel like? i'm intrigued.

#27 of 30 Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM

I'm started water only two weeks ago. I'm still in that transition period so I don't know how it's going to end up feeling. I'm doing it mostly out of the same curiosity. I wonder what my hair's natural texture is.

#28 of 30 Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

One thing I learned the hard way about water only -- you're not just rinsing your hair and calling it a day. Scrub your scalp with your fingertips to "shampoo" and then rub some more to "rinse" and THEN you may want to do a little more for the "condition" phase, so that you're rubbing and scrubbing as much as you would with shampoo and conditioner. I was just rinsing and rubbing a bit, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working for me. Once I started really "washing" my hair just with water, I got to see what "natural" is, and it's great! I only use regular shampoo on the roots once a month or less now, and that's it.

#29 of 30 Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 AM

Well, I ordered Wen yesterday.  I was going no-poo for the sake of ridding my body of chemicals.  My hair went through transitioning and started looking great.  I could go 4 days between washings.  However, now... my hair is like straw on the ends.  It is brittle and breaking off.  It is extremely hard to comb out after washing.  If I let it air dry it looks like a frizzy mess.  I've tried every from putting on coconut oil just on the ends.  Switching from ACV rinse to honey.  Decreasing the BS I use.  Nothing has helped.  So, I'm going to try Wen to see what happens.  :(  I wish it had made my hair look amazing,  Instead it kind of looks unhealthy.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#30 of 30 Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Have you tried scritching/massaging/preening your hair? Also, catnip rinses are really good.

I mean, do Wen if you want but you still have some WO options to try.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page