What do you wash your face with? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Let's talk face care!

I currently use a lot of Aveeno products, but am moving toward more natural, homemade products. I'm liking coconut oil as a moisturizer. I like witch hazel as a toner (I'm thinking of adding something to it, not sure what), but I'm clueless on actual face wash.

For the record, I'm 46 and have a few winkles. I still get about 1 zit per month, at the same time of the month, but that's really a minor problem.

My skin is better since I cleaned processed foods and caffeine out of my diet, and starting making a point of eating healthy oils and drinking TONS of water every day.

thoughts? suggestions?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#2 of 25 Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For a soapy wash I use Kiss my face liquid castile soap or Dr. Bronners in a self foaming bottle.  For a deep, massaging, pore cleaning cleanser I use a mix of coconut oil, jojoba oil, evening primrose oil, and borage oil.  And let me tell you, my skin has never looked better in my life!  It's the oil cleansing method if you're not familiar.  Anyways does wonders for this 30 something skin! I do this oil cleansing about every 3 days.  In winter I'm imagine I might even do it every day or every other day.

I use a spray bottle of organic aloe juice and witch hazel as toner over the top.  

My skin has never looked better and people tell me all the time I look like I'm 25, not kidding.  

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#3 of 25 Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM

I have found the most luck just using bar soap on my face, the same as I use on my body.  I buy them at Farmer's Markets or from other people who make their own.  My skin can be super dry, and my face is never dry when I use bar soap.  DH bought some face wash from the store, I don't remember which brand, but after using it a few times, my skin was all dry and tight again. 

Mama to three

#4 of 25 Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimara View Post

For a deep, massaging, pore cleaning cleanser I use a mix of coconut oil, jojoba oil, evening primrose oil, and borage oil.  And let me tell you, my skin has never looked better in my life!  It's the oil cleansing method if you're not familiar. .  

Tell me more. Do you just mix these together, rub them in, and then rinse off with water?

It seems like you would feel greasy afterward.  But I'm intrigued. I want to hear more because I want to try it. notes.gif

#5 of 25 Old 09-14-2011, 05:12 PM

I took an old amber glass dropper bottle and added about 50/50 mix of melted coconut oil and jojoba oil.  Then I punctured about 3 liquigels each of evening primrose and borage oils (I take these for my skin but recently purchased a fish/flax/borage blend so I didn't need the individual ones) and put that in the dropper bottle too,  shake it all up.  I keep it in the bathroom.  Now a quick sidenote: coconut is solid below 75 deg I think so if your house is cool I'm not sure if it would stay liquid mixed with the jojoba,  but probably would.

Anyways, I put a dropper or 2 in my hand and rub it into my face, neck, all over, massaging it in, getting the blood flowing, leave it for about 1-2 min, then take a hot washcloth, as hot as you can stand it and scrub all the oil off.  Dry off and spritz toner.  

The premise of the oil cleansing method is that oil attracts oil, so as you massage it in it is collecting all the dirt, extra oil, etc. and when you scrub it off, you wipe it all off along with dead skin cells, etc.  It does not make my skin oily, in fact it balances my skin in such a way so that I don't need much moisturizer but it's not oily at all.  I have normal/oily skin normally, getting oilier as my period approaches.

The Evening primrose and borage oils have GLA in it which is great for.....ahem.. aging skin... I'm referring to myself that is :)  it keeps the skin supple and fresh looking.  

Some people use all kinds of oils, grapeseed, apricot kernel (this is a good one too) but I like the blend I made for me.  Experiment with it and you might like it!

#6 of 25 Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for typing all that up for me!  It is EXACTLY the information I was looking for!!!

#7 of 25 Old 09-15-2011, 01:55 PM

No problem!  Let us know how you like it if you decide to try it  :)

#8 of 25 Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM

I use OCM (different blend of oils) for the nights when I have worn makeup that day. It is AWESOME for removing makeup!!! No stinging or pulling or any icky smells or feelings. I love it!

However, it takes awhile and I am not always that patient. ;)

I use honey in the mornings and the evenings when I did not wear makeup. So fast and easy!!! I do it after I brush my teeth. I rinse my mouth by using my (clean) hand as a "cup". I leave my hand wet (rinsed) and use a tiny amount of honey (1/2 teaspoon, approx). Rub it between the first three fingertips of both hands and apply it all over my face in slow circular motions. If I am showering, then I hop in at this point. If not, then I splash my face with tepid water (barely above body temperature). Takes me two quick splashes and the honey is all gone. Like OCM, the honey carries the "stuff" away.

Raw honey is best and I particularly like it when it has crystallized a bit since it gives a gentle exfoliation that way. I control the texture with how much water I use. Less water means more exfoliation. More water means smoother texture. A couple times a week, I leave the honey on the entire time I am showering as a "mask" and then rinse with tepid water (cooler water temperatures have been rather beneficial for my whole body).

I have infused some raw honey with rose petals (grown without pesticides by friends; traded with me for homegrown veggies/fruits) and this stuff is downright heavenly!!!! Fill a clean, sterilized clear glass jar with clean rose petals (they don't have to be completely dry, but more dry than wet); pour honey over them and tamp them down so everything is covered in honey; secure the lid on the jar and set it in the sun for about two weeks. (I used a sunny windowsill.) Gently shake/roll several times. Strain petals out by pouring contents of jar through a fine mesh SS strainer into a glass measuring cup. [I made rose tea with the honey-drenched rose petals. YUM!!!] Lastly, pour your rose-infused honey into a clean, sterilized dark glass jar. It'll last for years. You can eat it and use it on your face.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#9 of 25 Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post

No problem!  Let us know how you like it if you decide to try it  :)

I finally tried it!  I washed with just coconut oil last night and did a honey mask this morning. My skin looks and feels great! I think I overscrubbed last night because I feared leaving oil on, but I rubbed so hard my face was a bit red. I'll be more gentle with myself next time.

I'm going to keep playing around and adding more things.

Thank you!

marimara likes this.

#10 of 25 Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I use my Enjo face glove. I love it more than anything I have ever used. I used to wash my face with honey every day and loved the results but this is even easier and does a better job. It exfoliates and cleanses gently and deeply and only requires water. Nothing is added to my skin, just dirt and dry skin removed. I find that I need less moisturizer, my skin no longer breaks out and it looks and feels great. I have used the same glove for about three years - will probably get a new one sometime this winter but it has cost me a lot less over the three years than the ingredients I used to use to make cleaners, moisturizers and exfoliating rubs.

When I have the time and feel like doing something extra I will still rub honey into my face before a shower and then rinse and wash with my Enjo glove, just because I love honey love.gif

#11 of 25 Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM

I use olive oil soap and exfoliaring face glove/mitt each time I shower! Mine is Harem Secret.

#12 of 25 Old 10-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just use raw honey. If I have time I smear it on a few minutes before I wash my face, so it's sort of a mask treatment too, then get in the shower or wet my hands a bit and massage it around some, then wipe off with a warm wet washcloth. I love it when the honey gets a little crystallized, b/c then it's like a sugar scrub and it's a great exfoliant.

#13 of 25 Old 10-06-2011, 02:26 PM

I use the OCM also.  Mine is a mix of 80% organic EVOO and 20% castor oil.  I keep it in a cobalt blue apothecary bottle with a squirt top. I use it to wash my face, remove makeup and eye makeup.  The first few times it feels weird but now I love the way it feels. I can literally feel all kinds of little pieces of dead skin under my fingers as I'm massaging it in.  If my skin feels dry after wiping the oil off, I just put a little more on and massage it in.

I haven't used anything other than my oil mixture on my face in over a year and my skin has never looked better!

#14 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 06:34 AM

I use the oil cleansing method, too. I have really dry skin but it is acne prone so I use 60% olive oil 40% castor oil. That's a pretty high percentage of castor oil but it keeps the acne away! My face always feels dry afterwards so I use my almond oil and beeswax homemade lotion.

Instead of rubbing my face with the hot washcloth I "steam" the oil away. This is actually a really important step because it opens your pores and allows the oil to penetrate the skin. After massaging the oil in, take your hot washcloth (as hot as you can stand it) and just lay it over your face. Keep it there until the cloth is at room temperature (it takes about 30 sec), then gently wipe away the oil, no rubbing. I steam 3 times. There is NO oil or oily feeling left on my face.

I use the OCM most nights, unless I'm late getting ready for bed and I don't feel like washing my face for 5 minutes, then I wash with raw honey. I also use the raw honey in the morning.

This is the best thing that ever happened to my face. I started using the OCM after I had an allergic reaction to a commercial acne wash that made my eyes swell shut. I got really angry that they market these products as good for your face when they are really NOT, and castor oil has been better at eliminating acne then any commercial product was. I've since stopped using commercial toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and soap as well because I've found things that are cheaper, more effective and don't put my money in the pockets of billionaires.

ETA: To shrink your pores, splash your face with cold water after washing. It's also very refreshing.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#15 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Witch hazel and castor oil.  I go by my great grandma's ideas on facial cleansing.  That woman had beautiful skin!  I think it had a lot to do with genetics though since all my great aunts and grandpa do too.  When I visited her before she passed I remember thinking I better look that good!  No wrinkles!  No huge pores!  Just beautiful flawless skin.  And she always said to use basic products.

#16 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 AM

To those with acne prone skin, coconut oil is known to cause acne.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#17 of 25 Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

To those with acne prone skin, coconut oil is known to cause acne.

Really?!? Oh no!!! I've been putting it on my little DS because he's had little teeny blackhead looking pores on his cheeks, and I thought it would help...maybe it's causing it?

I use Kiss My Face olive oil bar for my face and body, and I also do the OCM with jojoba and castor oil mix. I've also added a few drops of tea tree oil on occasion to combat breakouts. Now, just need to add something for the wrinkles since I am 33 and I know they're coming!!! lol.gif

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#18 of 25 Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 AM

I mostly just wash my face with cold water. If I've worn makeup that day, though, I use the OCM.

#19 of 25 Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Another vote for water only, in the shower.

If I've been sweating or if I put lotion on my face I'll scrape the skin to remove residue.

If I've gotten really dirty I'll use soap.  That's rare though.

I'm 33, have clear but dry-ish skin, some fine lines on my forehead that have been there since I was a kid (no joke, my newborn has the same ones), and am just starting to look crepey around the eyes when I smile.  I figure I want to keep the natural oils in my skin, not deplete them with washing and then replace with an alternative non-human oil.  :)

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#20 of 25 Old 11-12-2011, 05:19 AM

I like Liz Earle's Hot Cloth Cleanser, paired with an Ikea muslin cloth. Gentle and effective. I've tried so many things, but I do keep coming back to this since it does not dry my skin out, nor does it cause sensitivity because of over exfoliation.

#21 of 25 Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 AM

I'm another OCM user!  I have been using OCM for several years.  I use a mix of castor oil and organic olive oil at a ratio of about 50/50, & I add 1 drop of tea trea oil to the bottle to help prevent pimples.  Which I rarely get anymore!  I do adjust the oils in the winter to about 60 % olive oil, & 40 % castor oil.  Castor oil can be drying, so take that into consideration when you make your mix!  I keep my mixture in a 2 oz bottle & I can't beleive how long it lasts!  Then I mositurize with organic jojoba oil.  I use mineral makeup (Sheer Miracle) & OCM works so perfectly with it.  Occasionaly I do a scrub mixing a little bit of brown sugar in the palm of my hand into the oils or into honey.      

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#22 of 25 Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM

I just use water and have no acne or anything, I don't wear makeup most days though so there's not really much to wash off. If I wore makeup I would use OCM.

#23 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 PM

I use Avalon Organics cleansing milk (it's soap free and super gentle).

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#24 of 25 Old 12-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I use cool water and coconut oil. I have used raw honey in the past and may try it again...

be good family...

#25 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 06:35 AM

i use water and coconut oil also, and i love it. After I started i couldn't believe i used to pay for chemically facewash for so long!

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page