Flame-retardant-free PJs for boys size 12+ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-02-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

headscratch.gif  

Hey, I'm sure many of you can relate:  I was pretty good at finding the PJs sans flame retardant for my son -- until he grew.

First, Kohl's fitted jersey PJs were too small, then Children's Place & Gymboree. I see some stuff online (Company Store, Hanna Andersson), but it's all really pricey. Does anyone have a clue for me? I may just have to resort to stalking the sales or 2nd-hand Hannas, but those are so chancy. I prefer cotton or similarly breathable jersey fabric. I was considering thermal underwear, but then I discovered that those seem just as high-priced (or even higher, yikes!). I definitely don't care if it's previous years' designs...  Anyone? 

Thanks so much for any help you can offer! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We mostly use t-shirts/thermal tops and underwear/gym shorts/flannel lounge pants or sweats, depending on the season. Cute PJs are cute, but too hard to find w/o the flame retardant.

#3 of 11 Old 10-06-2011, 03:28 PM

I buy both of my kids (almost 5 and 3.5) Carter's pajamas. I buy the fitted cotton 2-pieces that are specifically labeled "Not flame resistant. Wear tight fitting."

#4 of 11 Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.blueturtlekids.com/category.jhtm?cid=1015 

I found this place (above) online that offers *some* PJs in the bigger sizes (size 14 seems to be the max). Not all of them are offered in the larger sizes, and not all the PJs they offer are flame-retardant-free, so read carefully (and maybe call to verify before placing an order). I signed up for the newsletter & got a discount code for $25 off an order of $125 or more; that's more than I can spend on PJs, but maybe it's helpful for someone who does plan to buy from them. 

#5 of 11 Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Oh, I'm sorry.  When I first replied, I read it as 12 months not size 12 and up.  Whoops.

In that case, I'd just do what I do for myself and wear cotton Ts and light sweats.

#6 of 11 Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

No worries. MDC is so baby-centric, it makes an 8-yo very old/big in comparison. I would be thrilled if Carter's still worked him, but no sizes this big. Actually, my (totally average-sized) 8-yo doesn't wear a size 12 generally, but I always buy big enough to grow into, and in the the tight-fitting PJs, he takes a larger size. 

#7 of 11 Old 10-09-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.6pm.com/boys-sleepwear/CKvXARDJ1wHAAQTiAgMBGAI.zso?s=goliveRecentSalesStyle/desc/#!/boys-sleepwear/CKvXARDJ1wHAAQTiAgMBGAI.zso?s=percentOff/desc

*Some* are chemical-free, but not all. The discount is pretty tepid, so I'm still on the search. Who pays $30 (and up!) for kids' pajamas? 

#8 of 11 Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I am in the same boat -- 8 year old boy who has outgrown most brands of cotton pj's.  

I bought him a bunch of cheap t-shirts from sierratradingpost.com.  Most of them were under $2.  And then I picked up some light weight cotton sweat pants.  He seems to like it just fine -- I added a warm hooded sweatshirt and he has his 'comfy, around the house clothes that double as pajamas'.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#9 of 11 Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

RG, that sounds like it may be the route I go. I do use STP for cheapie t-shirts and I really can't justify the prices for any of the PJ sets I've seen. I'm pretty particular about in-bed vs not-in-bed parts of the wardrobe, but it sure won't offend my ds's sensibilities -- dude is very pro-loungewear. Thanks for sharing your experience! 

#10 of 11 Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I did wind up going with t-shirts/thermal underwear pants, but I wanted to share that I just found Oshkosh PJs up through size 10 for $15/set. I'm afraid to buy that size (he wears that now, and I have to buy them a size up) but I thought maybe someone else could benefit. Not all the PJs are the tight, jersey, chemical-free kind, but many cute (but not tooooo juvenile) designs are.  

#11 of 11 Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Who wears pajamas after they are 6 anyway?

Tshirts and loose cotton shorts in the summer.

Tshirts and sweats or loungepants in the winter.

DS is only 4, but I can hypothesize that this is the direction we'll be heading. He's worn Tshirts and shorts in the summer and leggings in the winter. We will probably have to transition from leggings as he figures out they are "girls" clothing and as the number of gender-neutral options dwindles.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page