DH and I are Accidental Paleos? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-16-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Isn't it funny how often we just revert back to the more natural way of living when the "unnatural" way ends up making us so sick?

I got pregnant in June of 2011 (baby was "planned" using the Fertility Awareness Method) and at every prenatal appointment since, I have been diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis, a bladder infection, or a yeast infection. greensad.gif

This last bout has left me kind of broken as I felt like I was doing all I could to help. We only eat organic local foods, I was taking a probiotic, eating DH's yogurt daily, and keeping up with my cranberry supplements. I had totally given up on sex with DH to stop from irritating everything but it was all in vain when I tested positive for BV yet again.

Finally my husband came up with a game plan. No more sugar. No more gluten. We eliminated almost all grains from our diet. We upped the saturated plant and animal fats to make up for the lost calories, are eating a ton more local organic eggs, and started eating way more leafy greens even in the fall (we found a local hydroponic farm to get lettuce from in the winter - awesome!). It made sense to do so. Eliminate sugar and eliminate yeast/bacterial. And cholesterol in food is a non-issue because it's not actually harmful like the FDA and WHO want you to believe. [Side note: The real dangerous food in American's diet is grain. Grain causes insulin spikes and are inflammatory foods. When the body (and arteries) become inflamed, the body tries to repair this by sending cholesterol to the damaged sites. The more grain you eat, the more inflammation, and the more cholesterol your body tries to fix it with. Cholesterol is naturally occuring in the body, you don't really repair with cholesterol you get from food, so heart disease is actually caused by grains NOT eggs and fats.]

At the advice of my midwife, I stopped using a feminine cleanser at all. No soaps anywhere near that area. I then had a thought, "If I'm not going to soap up my crotch, why soap up my body? Why my face?" I stopped using all cleansers on my body (except for shampoo, I had just purchased 4 bottles of my favorite kind). When I told DH what I was doing, I was a little embarrassed, thinking that he would think I went extreme. He jumped on board! He hasn't used a shampoo, conditioner, body soap, or anything, in a couple of weeks now! And he doesn't smell! He just smells like him, which is quite attractive to me...

With no more cleansers means no more lotions needed. Our skin is soft and creamy now and my breakouts are going away, as are DH's (he hated how he would still occasionally breakout at almost 30 years old).

Though we make our own laundry detergent (have for several years now) I thought it would be nice to find something unscented (I had been flaking various scented soaps). We found Grab Green on sale on Amazon, and got some. Now all of our laundry soaps and bleaches are all-natural and unscented. 

So in doing more research, my husband found out there is actually a diet and lifestyle that we were mimicking called the Paleo or Primal diet/lifestyle. He bought some cookbooks and now we are slowly working though what little gluten/grain foods are still in the house (can't waste them throwing them away and we can't donate opened food) so that we can become totally Primal. I love it, and hopefully at my next prenatal I will test negative for everything! I am already feeling better and with the lack of insulin spikes from carbs I have a ton more energy. 

In addition to all that we have changed I'm on a new probiotic, D-Mannose for the UTIs, Elderberry for my immune system, and seeing an acupuncturist. If all this doesn't work nothing else will.

Pagan mama, married to DH since 10/27/09. Had a wonderful h20homebirth.gif with baby D in 2012!

#2 of 2 Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, that is really neat. I am so glad you are feeling better.  My Nephew started a diet where he only shops at the perimeter of the grocery store.  Fruits, veggies, dairy, eggs, meat etc.  Nothing from the middle, no processed foods etc.  I hope you continue to feel well and that your pregnancy is easier.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page