What age did you stop using body lotion on your kids and what kind did you use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2011, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 8, and I still put body lotion on him after his showers and baths. I've always moisturized my entire body daily since I was really young and I consider it to be an important part of hygiene so I use it on him as well. I've been doing it since he was a baby to keep his skin healthy and I've kept doing it ever since. He has swimming lessons 3x a week so after swimming lessons I lather him in body lotion as well to prevent dryness and to keep his skin moisturized. If you used lotion on your child, when did you stop or if you still do use it on them how old are they? Should I stop doing it myself soon or is it fine? (of course now he's a little older he has shorts or boxers on while I do it, its just part of the routine and comes naturally and it only takes 3 or 4 minutes every day day. I see other moms in the family changing rooms at the pool putting it on their kids who are around the same age as mine, so I just decided to ask.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Interesting! I didn't use lotion on my little ones.  I'd look at those bottles of baby lotion and wonder if I was supposed to be using them on my babies.   But they neither of them seemed to need it.  They never got particularly dry.  

Maybe it's a location/environment thing?  We've got the heater on these days so, for myself, I find myself slathering on the lip balm every night before bed, and I'm using more facial lotion. 

My youngest, my son, is twelve years old.  In spring he gets horrible allergies, including itchy patches on the backs of his legs.  So he uses a medicated lotion for that. 

We have a pool, and both my kids had lessons at the community pool for every single summer for many years. I do notice that ds's legs get a bit white and dry during swim season. But he doesn't seem to care.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I do not use lotion at all. I use coconut oil on my kids when their skin is still slightly moist then I blot off the excess with a towel. I do the same for myself unless my skin gets very dry then I use either shea butter or mango butter. As for age I can't give advice because my oldest is four. However she likes to try to use it herself and with instruction she does okay. Maybe you could start instructing your son to use lotion after the shower.

be good family...

Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM

I would like to ask why you think that lotion is an important part of hygiene... I'm not judging, I'm genuinely curious. I've never heard that before. smile.gif

I don't use lotion and I've never used lotion on the kids. It didn't seem necessary. My husband had really bad skin issues (dry, scaly) and spent a fortune on body lotions. Then we ran out and he tried some of my coconut oil on my suggestion and it worked better for him than the expensive lotions. I use coconut oil on my legs sometimes and I've used it on the kids - but rarely.

I think it feels really NICE to get oil put on you. I love getting massages (even from myself, heh) with coconut oil. But that's a pleasant sensual thing to me instead of a necessity.

ETA: I've always heard/read that if you have dry skin or chapped lips (which I struggled with SO much) it's not a matter of putting something ON you from the outside, it's about drinking more water to hydrate from the inside. I don't know if that's true, and surely there are cases when it's a medical necessity to put medicated lotion on instead of just drinking more water, but I think those would be the exceptions, not the rule.

coolshine.gif
Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Shawnac, I have to point out that you posted this same question already, almost a year ago.  Why did you ask again?  

It's also the only question you've asked.  In light of this I'm going to answer again, differently. 

I never did put body lotion on my kids and I think it's a bad idea for anyone, generally, to use lotion on babies, or any other product that marketers want us to believe is necessary. 

I think you should ask your son if he wants the lotion.  If he does, he should apply it himself.

Sunscreen, which you mentioned on another thread, is a different matter.  My kids started applying it to their legs and arms, themselves, when they were maybe 10.  I still do their backs, though they ask, or I offer to do it for them as a favor.  The tone is different.  

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Wow, um, yeah. I just realized that that's the only topic this poster talked about... That's a bit odd, innit?

coolshine.gif
Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM

I have always showered daily, and put on some type of moisturizer immediately after.

My kids get a daily bath.  When they were younger, I put coconut oil on them after their bath.  After they were older, I switched to almond oil. 

I still help my 8-year-olds with bathing, and putting on oil after their bath.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seawitch View Post

ETA: I've always heard/read that if you have dry skin or chapped lips (which I struggled with SO much) it's not a matter of putting something ON you from the outside, it's about drinking more water to hydrate from the inside. I don't know if that's true, and surely there are cases when it's a medical necessity to put medicated lotion on instead of just drinking more water, but I think those would be the exceptions, not the rule.

I think this is true- a lot of dry skin issues can be helped by getting more good fats like fish oil, coconut oil. 

I've never used lotion on anyone in my family.

Honestly I am creeped out by the fact this question has been posted 7 times...

Old 01-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Me too.

coolshine.gif
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM

My midwife told me to avoid using lotion on babies and kids to avoid disturbing the body's natural ability to regulate oil production.  Has anyone else heard this? 

I don't use lotion on my older child and never had, but I started using a baby oil and coconut oil on my infant son's face because he has dry patches (which I've attributed to dry winter air).  Once the dryness clears up, I'll stop putting anything on hos skin.

Tags
Natural Body Care
User Tag List