~~ Dready Mamas 2012?~~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 376 Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like the idea of a foamer. Hmmmm. Anyone use Doc Bronner's on your hair? I've read mixed reviews but I'm wondering if the Baby Mild in a foamer would work well. And I could add a few essential oils of my own to give it that perfect scent! 

stephanie asl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 376 Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 AM

I started using shampoo bars, and I think someone on here mentioned them.  I can't remember where I ordered from right now... Never used Dr. Bronners.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#123 of 376 Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey there! I'm new to this thread, but have had dreads since October of last year. I've been using about a teaspoon of either Dr. Bronners or Kiss My Face liquid castile soap every 3ish days diluted in an old kombucha bottle with water and about a tablespoon of baking soda since then. My hair is growing super fast and dreading up pretty quickly. (I had a set of twist & rip dreads for about 2.5 months, then brushed them out and have not brushed my hair since the turn of the year. I'm only washing and separating them now.)   

I love the liquid soaps because they are pretty good for the earth and on my wallet. I haven't bought any more since October and still have half of the smaller size Dr. Bronners bottle left. 

I have a friend who uses Dr. Bronners in a foamer as a body wash and she swears by it...

Natalie, doula lady & wife to A, mama & teacher to DD (4/07), DD (10/09), DS (12/12), & Surprise babe (3/15)
*~~*~*~Love eachother!!~*~*~~*
  Diabetes Sucks     
#124 of 376 Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 AM

I've used bronner's, shampoo bars, and baking soda, but I haven't used anything in MONTHS! I spray ACV on sometimes, but otherwise I just rinse w/water. Never smells;) Your scalp gets used to not using shampoo and doesn't need it...it'll just dry your hair out and my hair is so dry to begin with! Though I'm sure I'll start needing to wash more in the hot summer.

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#125 of 376 Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Here's a link to my dreadlock progress fb album if anyone cares to have a look :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.543030511388.2023088.104700964&type=1&l=10fb82b6b5

#126 of 376 Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Awesome album! As soon as I get a camera I think I'll post some pics of mine. Also I really want to touch up my roots with henna. Has anyone used henna on their dreads. I'm afraid it will be so conditioning that it will cause them to unlock some...

be good family...

#127 of 376 Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Well it's pouring rain and I work outside with my kids so I'm staying home today and hennaing my roots. I mixed it up last night with some theives oil and lemon juice then thawed it about an hour ago. I applied it by rubbing my roots and twisting with my fingers to get the roots well covered. I hope it does not effect the dreading process too much, and if it does it's just the roots so it won't be too bad. Having unraveled roots will look better than grey/brown roots with auburn dreads like they looked before, lol!

be good family...

#128 of 376 Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM

DelicateSunshine, cute album!  I need to take some more pics, maybe of some of the ways I wear them.

I have hennaed some of my dreads.  I was thinking about doing it again, but just to some like last time.  It did not unravel them, but they were much older than yours when I did it.  I think I'm going to wait awhile to make a decision about dyeing everything, including my roots, again.  I am working on embracing my natural self more (except I just *have* to shave some stuff, lol), and my gray hair is definitely a part of me--I turn 40 this year.  I am not ever nursing a baby again, I am not going to get pregnant again, I am not going to have another amazing homebirth, my periods are getting wonky from perimenopause, etc....I'm not old, but I am certainly in a different stage of my life now than some of my friends w/babies, lol.  I will just be the crone before they are.  My dread journey is all part of this and I'll see how I feel about my gray hair after seeing what the sun does to it this year.

mamayogibear likes this.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#129 of 376 Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM

chicky2, that is a beautiful response to have toward your aging body.  

Does anyone have any tips for wrapping a dread?  I see pictures of dreads wrapped up in some sort of string and it looks so pretty.  What kind of string do you use and is there a special technique?

#130 of 376 Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicate_sunshine View Post

chicky2, that is a beautiful response to have toward your aging body.  

Does anyone have any tips for wrapping a dread?  I see pictures of dreads wrapped up in some sort of string and it looks so pretty.  What kind of string do you use and is there a special technique?

I use hemp and just tie it like when making a necklace. But instead of having four strands with one going over three there is one strand going over the dread. I hope that made sense!

be good family...

#131 of 376 Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 PM

No, it doesn't, lol!  I don't know how to make a necklace.  Is it like braiding?

#132 of 376 Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 PM

I use either colored hemp and just start at the top and tie a good knot and then wrap til I"m done, lol.  Or I like to use embroidery thread, which won't become part of your dread.  If they are slipping off, sew the darn things in at the top and bottom!  I think my dd doubles a piece of embroidery thread and then wraps each piece of thread the opposite way all the way around and down the dread--yes, kinda like braiding, but your dread is one of the 3 strands of the braid. 

I need to do some wrapping just for fun. 

I guess my response to my aging body today is different than yesterday when I just felt old, achey, and fat, lol.  ;o)

#133 of 376 Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM

http://www.madebyhippies.com/hemp/howtotiehempjewelry.html

kind of like this but you pretty much just repeat nubmer 10 and 11 over the dread. I used to love putting charms midway through the wrap.... I haven't had any hemp since my last set of dreads two years ago. I really need to get me some!

also, after about a month hemp gets smelly. it doesn't smell bad in my opinion it just smells like hemp but some people think it smells bad.

and to update the henna went well! my roots are now bright orange and I hope they oxidize to match the rest of my locks, they did come unraveled a little bit but i'm not going to crochet them back in place i will just wait for it to happen naturally, probably it will take as long to tighten up as it will for my roots to grow out and need henna again;)

be good family...

#134 of 376 Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Loving all the photos & experience! I'm definitely sticking with my baking soda washing routine. I detoured for a while to use up some dread shampoo (from DreadheadHQ before I even had dreads) but it's making my hair so greasy, as expected. I need my scalp to tone down the oil production. 

Question....I bought some dread bling (loving my little silver sleeves & clay beads!) but do you leave them in? I took them out to wash my hair today but have been wearing them 24/7 otherwise. Just curious what everyone else does. I love the wrapped look, too, but not sure I can tackle that project. 

stephanie asl.gif

#135 of 376 Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM

mylocks.JPGFinally a picture of my locks!

be good family...

#136 of 376 Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post

Loving all the photos & experience! I'm definitely sticking with my baking soda washing routine. I detoured for a while to use up some dread shampoo (from DreadheadHQ before I even had dreads) but it's making my hair so greasy, as expected. I need my scalp to tone down the oil production. 

Question....I bought some dread bling (loving my little silver sleeves & clay beads!) but do you leave them in? I took them out to wash my hair today but have been wearing them 24/7 otherwise. Just curious what everyone else does. I love the wrapped look, too, but not sure I can tackle that project. 

I loved acv and bs until I tried the dreadlock shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com their liquid nag champa soap has sea salt in it.

As for the bling *if* I remember to take it out before I shower I do, but most of the time I forget that they are there. I have a mayan calender charm that has worked its way into one of my dreads so I can't really take that one out without damaging the dread. I think with clay and glass it is fine to was with them in. But with metal I'm kind of worried about not getting it dry quick enough and having it rust from all the sea salt....

be good family...

#137 of 376 Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM

I'm 4 months in & these dreadies are finally starting to feel real! I remember reading that it takes a good 6-12 months for them to mature & I couldn't believe it....but now I know. I still have some hair at the nape of my neck that won't dread at all, keeps falling out no matter what I do, which makes sense because of the oil production around the edges. I've finally managed to get the "sideburn" hair to knot up because I kept backcombing it & putting in a little wax (no longer afraid of the stuff but I only use a teeny weeny bit). The crown of my head is still pretty loose, too, but I keep twisting & rolling & separating & can see the light!

Last week I had my girls (ages 7 & 9) trim the tips of all my dreads because they were so wispy. I love it! The blunt ends make them look & feel so much more like dreadlocks. 

And my bling...love 'em. I want more! I have 5 clay beads & a few metal ones here & there but I'm not crazy about the metal ones & would like to get a few more clay & some wood. I haven't taken them out since I put them in but I occasionally slide them up & down to ensure they don't get knotted up. 

I'm still eyeing the nag champ shampoo but I'm nervous! I've gotten into such a good groove with the baking soda that I don't want to mess up my scalp. I rarely itch anymore, have very few flakes & only need to wash about once a week even though I get it wet every time I shower (every other day, usually). I so adore nag champa, though, and should just take the plunge & try it out. 

I'm excited that my dreads have inspired a couple other friends, one of whom I put a few dreads in her hair to try out & another wants to get them after she has her baby. Dread revolution! Lol!

mamayogibear likes this.

stephanie asl.gif

#138 of 376 Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Had some fun playing with my hair today. It was hot so I needed to get those knotty ropes off my neck!

IMG_0618.jpg

stephanie asl.gif

#139 of 376 Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Ok mamas,

I've got a question for all you wise ladies. I don't have dreads (I'm not great with commitment :) but DH does--down to his lower back. My hubby would like to dread our little guy's hair (DS is 2) in the next couple years, but I have mixed feelings about making such an extreme hair choice for our LO. Don't get me wrong, I love dreads, and would love for DS to have dreads...if that's what he wants. But I feel like it's a big decision for a 3 or 4 year old! 

Maybe I'm overthinking this (I tend to do that....) but I thought I'd check in for some outside perspectives. Do any of your kiddos have dreads? If so, how old were they when they dreaded their hair. And what are your thoughts on dreads for little ones?

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#140 of 376 Old 05-27-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitanamama View Post

Ok mamas,

I've got a question for all you wise ladies. I don't have dreads (I'm not great with commitment :) but DH does--down to his lower back. My hubby would like to dread our little guy's hair (DS is 2) in the next couple years, but I have mixed feelings about making such an extreme hair choice for our LO. Don't get me wrong, I love dreads, and would love for DS to have dreads...if that's what he wants. But I feel like it's a big decision for a 3 or 4 year old! 

Maybe I'm overthinking this (I tend to do that....) but I thought I'd check in for some outside perspectives. Do any of your kiddos have dreads? If so, how old were they when they dreaded their hair. And what are your thoughts on dreads for little ones?

I don't think it's that big of a choice for them b/c if he doesn't like them you can just cut them out. I would just make sure he realizes that, though! I have a 2 yr old DS too and wouldn't hesitate to dread in the next couple years, but, alas, his hair is fine and soft and doubt it will dread! That's one thing, IMO, it should be a natural process for someone that young - I personally wouldn't start dreads, but just stop combing and messing with it;)

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#141 of 376 Old 05-27-2012, 07:33 PM

I spent some time on my dreadies this weekend! They're looking much better after I finally cut off all the ends (debated about this for a long time, finally went for it!). There's maybe 3 locks that are much longer now since they didn't have loose hairs at the end. I can't decide if I should leave em or cut em, they look pretty quirky, but thinking maybe I like that for now, lol! I also did a bunch of crocheting and always think it tames my head after that:) I will make it a goal to take a pic and p;ost soon!

#142 of 376 Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM

Yes, I would love to see a pic! When I trimmed mine, I debated cutting the longer ones that were completely knotted but after living with it for a few days, I chopped them. 

My newest quest is to congo a few of my thinner dreads that tend to fall apart. I rubber banded them at the base & try to roll them regularly. I wish I understood the crochet thing because I'd probably try to weave them together somehow. I often tuck in stray hairs & put a little aloe on the dread to keep it together but it doesn't always work. Note to self: figure out how to crochet dreads!

stephanie asl.gif

#143 of 376 Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post

Yes, I would love to see a pic! When I trimmed mine, I debated cutting the longer ones that were completely knotted but after living with it for a few days, I chopped them. 

My newest quest is to congo a few of my thinner dreads that tend to fall apart. I rubber banded them at the base & try to roll them regularly. I wish I understood the crochet thing because I'd probably try to weave them together somehow. I often tuck in stray hairs & put a little aloe on the dread to keep it together but it doesn't always work. Note to self: figure out how to crochet dreads!

Crocheting dreads is a lot easier than it sounds at first. It's not actually crocheting, lol. It is beyond easy to make a congo if your dreads are still a bit holey and immature. Get a really small 1mm or less needle and hold with the hook facing your thumb. Then maneuver the hook at a downward angle working from the root of the dreads to be congoed. Start out slow or you will stab yourself and get the dang thing stuck under your fingernail. This can be traumatizing but as a nurse I'm sure you can handle it. The hand with out the needle in it will be holding the two locks together making a small tricuspid  out of the three distal phalanges. Your goal is to stab the needle through the dreads into the cup; then on the way back through you will pull all the loose hairs into the dread closest to the hook. I prefer to roate the two locks every ten to twenty stabs but I'm not sure if this is necessary.

Another way to get good congos is to take some hemp or other string and tie the string to the base of the two dreads. Then macrame your way down to the tips. This method rocks because you can add cute necklace pendants to the hemp twist and give your new congo some extra character while it begins to form. The only downside of this is that after several weeks of constantly washing the hemp it smells funny, not like rot but like wet hemp, lol.

Oh and if you go to youtube you can find some awesome videos showing these two techniques which would probably make more sense than my rambling:)

Blessings to you mama

be good family...

#144 of 376 Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Mamayogibear, I lol'd at the end of your post because as I was reading your post & re-reading & trying to understand I thought, "I bet I can find a youtube video." Even though I'm sure it's easy & after figuring it out I'll read your post again & realize it was a great description...but I don't do needlework so it's all Greek to me!

We're moving soon & I have my hands full but this is on my list of things to tackle....in July!

stephanie asl.gif

#145 of 376 Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 PM

Got myself a 1mm crochet hook today!! We're packing up to move & I'm crazy busy but I hope to find a few minutes tomorrow to play with my locs! love.gif

stephanie asl.gif

#146 of 376 Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Love the pics!

Here's mine from today, which is just 3 days shy of 1 year and 9 mos dready.

012.JPG009.JPG

#147 of 376 Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Um, bad lighting, lol.

#148 of 376 Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Um, bad lighting, lol.

I was just about to say I love your hair color too! LOL

be good family...

#149 of 376 Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 PM

I don't have dreads but I love the way they look. Beautiful dreads, mamas!

#150 of 376 Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Chicky - your dreadies look so much more mature than their age, love em!

mamayogibear/koru - So funny, that's not how I crochet mine, I didn't realize that would work, lol! I guess, though, I'm crocheting strays back in, not two dreads together, so there should be a difference;) Koru, it should work well for you since you say yours are thinner. Here's what I do for strays to make my hair look much cleaner: Push the hook through the dread and wrap the strays around it a few times (I like to use a fairly big hook for this). Then pull it back out the way you came in. Repeat all the way down so you're basically weaving the stay hairs in and out of the dread. It makes them look nice and the strays dread right in in no time! I must warn you, it's hard to stop once you start, lol! I do this for those darned thin hairs around the neckline too regularly.

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page