California Baby changes :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So...if you are like many mamas I know and have love(d) and trust(ed)California Baby, and paid the higher prices because it (was) all natural, you might want to know that almost every product in their line has changed somewhat. One of the biggest changes is the inclusion of Sodium Benzoate, a lab made preservative. A product that their labels used to proudly proclaim they were free of.

Despite many complaints on their facebook page, and many people saying they will no longer buy, they just keep saying 'it's safe". 

nono02.gifWhat do you think? I'm pretty much done with them, and based on all that I am reading, can't trust them anymore. 

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
#2 of 9 Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 PM

I don't even know what to think. Maybe if they would have said, "Due to the economy, to keep prices somewhat affordable, we are switching to a cheaper ingredient." or something similar, I would feel different. But this whole, "its more eco-friendly" business is not sitting right with me. 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#3 of 9 Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

The claims that it is more eco-friendly are just...mind boggling. But, I think what is really getting me at this point is their whole attitude towards the whole situation and their refusal to address customer concerns other than just posting the same quotes at them over and over. 

They've now shut down posting on their FB wall. But, the comments on the posts (until they get deleted) are full of unhappy mamas. nono02.gif

I really think this has to be the worst customer service I have EVER seen. 

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
#4 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

I'm disgusted by the whole ordeal and was sure to write letters to all Whole Food Markets in the state of Michigan to let them know of the issues at hand. There were many changes made to the formulation of the "new" products on top of the addition of Sodium Benzoate. Another notable and controversial ingredient added to the Calendula balm is Canola Oil and the number of organic ingredients in all the products have dropped significantly. I loved their stuff but the way the situation was handled from the get go has left a horrible impression of what the owner truly is all about. $$$

#5 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 PM

Did the company get sold? I haven't been able to find their products anywhere. No, I will no longer buy them....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#6 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 06:09 PM

I've been reading about this too. This grosses me out that they won't even talk to us about it. What would be a good alternative? 

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#7 of 9 Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 PM

This is awful to hear :( 

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#8 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM

Oh no. I am so glad you posted this OP, because i had no idea, and I have used them for my son since he was a baby. Ugh. I guess it's time to switch brands. I am so disappointed in Ca Baby!

#9 of 9 Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 PM

This is really frustrating. It seems just when I really fall in love with a company or product & let my guard down because I've researched it etc. BAM! The company is sold or "acquired" or they change the ingredients. GGRRR.  dizzy.gif

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page