Mama Cloth-Help with GladRags and such!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hoping I am posting this in the right section-I haven't used the mothering forums in quite a while....but here goes..

Jumping right in and purchasing my first mama cloth. Having huge issues with pads (can not wear tampons).

I purchased from Glad Rags

1 Heavy Flow Night pad which comes with 2 inserts,

1 Day Pad with 2 Inserts

Plus I purchased 2 extra inserts.

1 wet/dry bag

1 Extra day holder

I also purchased a 14' pad from a WAHM

And a pack of 6 8 1/2 from another WAHM. (for lighter days)

I am waiting for arrival but need some help...

I tend to have heavy flow day 2-3, should I buy more inserts? Or more AIO pads with PUL...I hear a lot of ladies do not like the PUL....any suggestions/ideas why??

I wanted LunaPads but this early on I am thinking I shouldn't "jump ship" and get too many different pad types going...any ideas about this?

Also....I have searched their (GladRags) website and it is just NOT as good as Lunapads with instruction.... shy.gif

Is the "extra day holder" used as a pad because now the website makes me think it's a "carrier" for inserts...????? dizzy.gif

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#2 of 10 Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 AM

I dont have any glad rags but lots of cloth! When I started out I got a few cloth from a bunch of different companies because I wasnt sure exactly what I wanted. I have AIO pads, a few with PUL which are ok, most of mine dont have it and I have a heavy flow and had NO issues! It looks like the extra day holder is the anchor pad that holds inserts. Since I dont use gladrags I cant comment on how many inserts you will need but I will tell you that cloth is a lot more absorbant then disposable pads so you may not need as much as you think. What instructions are you looking for? (im leaving for mexico today so cant provide answers to that for a week).

A few AIO brands I really like are Mom's Crafts 4u (my absolute fave), naturally hip, mimis dreams and punky pads. They are all available on etsy (along with tons of other brands!)

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 10 Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I also ordered several items from 4 different WAHM. I will be happy to receive everything in the mail.

Have a safe trip! :)

Thank you! I also bought some WAHM mama cloth. I will be excited to get them in the mail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post

I dont have any glad rags but lots of cloth! When I started out I got a few cloth from a bunch of different companies because I wasnt sure exactly what I wanted. I have AIO pads, a few with PUL which are ok, most of mine dont have it and I have a heavy flow and had NO issues! It looks like the extra day holder is the anchor pad that holds inserts. Since I dont use gladrags I cant comment on how many inserts you will need but I will tell you that cloth is a lot more absorbant then disposable pads so you may not need as much as you think. What instructions are you looking for? (im leaving for mexico today so cant provide answers to that for a week).

A few AIO brands I really like are Mom's Crafts 4u (my absolute fave), naturally hip, mimis dreams and punky pads. They are all available on etsy (along with tons of other brands!)

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#4 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 AM

thanks!

Have you gotten any yet? I remember anxiously waiting by the mailbox everyday when I ordered mine!

#5 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I did! I did!!! love.gif

I have to say......I am not a "gladrag" fan....I am a fan of some I bought from a WAHM via online auction! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! And GEM CLOTH, from Michelle! TOTALLY my favorites!

And getting the mail every day was so much fun! :)

#6 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

My favorites are the Gem Cloth (she is super sweet and sent me a free item) ....the others do have the PUL....I can't say how happy I was for that item at night a few nights ago.... can't believe I'm 41 and just now using cloth....*sigh*

My other favorites (and SUPER CHEAP) are from littlebeecreations.com.

I just ordered one more from a local mom I found via online auction....oh, and I ordered from Hyenacart (Krista's Cloth).

#7 of 10 Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 AM

ooh i will check those out! So glad you are enjoying them, they are fantastic!

#8 of 10 Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 AM

GEM cloth!! Love mine! They are fleece-backed, which I think slips around much less than PUL would. I bought two grab bags and am very happy with them.

I've also bought some OBV pads from Rachel's Legal Pad before but I'm not sure if she's still selling on Hyena Cart.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#9 of 10 Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM

Hi, sorry it took me a while to see this!  Hopefully you figured everything out to your satisfaction, but since the thread is still active I thought I would answer you just in case.

The gladrags pads come in three pieces:  a "holder" which snaps around your panties, and two "inserts" that you stuff inside the holder to make it extra absorbant.  That's to give you more options for how much absorbancy you want without you having to buy a bunch of different pads.  If you're having a light flow day, you can just use the holder.  (Alternatively, gladrags also sells light flow days cloth pads that are smaller and lightly padded--they don't come as a holder and inserts, but are sewn together.)  If you're having a heavier flow, you can stuff inserts into the holder before snapping it in place, to make it more absorbant.  The holders & inserts can also be bought separately (like you did), but basically, a holder + 2 inserts is the same thing as a day pad.

Personally, per cycle I go through about 1-2 days of using an overnight pad (with 2 inserts) at night and a holder + 2 inserts during the day (that sounds odd...I mean that I do change it out during the day, but I use a holder and two inserts at a time :P sorry for confusion); 1-2 days of using a holder + 1 insert; and then for the rest of my period, I use the light flow pads.  I like them better than just using a holder alone.  I've never really gotten into the habit of using extra inserts...I prefer to just change out the entire pad more often.  But that's more of a personal preference thing.

Hope that helped and if you have any more questions, please ask!  I'm so glad you switched to cloth pads (whichever brand you end up liking best!)--I switched a couple of years ago and it is sooo much nicer, there is just no comparison!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#10 of 10 Old 03-10-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post

GEM cloth!! Love mine! They are fleece-backed, which I think slips around much less than PUL would. I bought two grab bags and am very happy with them.
I've also bought some OBV pads from Rachel's Legal Pad before but I'm not sure if she's still selling on Hyena Cart.

I will have to check into the Rachel's Legal Pad..... I have to say my favorites to have the PUL, I haven't noticed any slipping. They do have flannel backing.

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page