Calling all no 'poo Mammas! - No 'Poo Support Thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't understand why hard water would negate BS, as it never did for me. We probably have very different hair types. Greasy meant use more baking soda and less vinegar. Dry or frizzy meant the opposite. I certainly didn't need as much BS when I was living with crazy nasty hard water, though. 

I totally understand what you mean about personal grooming, though! I had a shaved head in my teens and omg I loved it! And miss it so much. It would be not be a functional choice in the climate I live in now, though. lol Long hair that I can pull into a ponytail or throw a hat over is my best bet anymore. 

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#62 of 106 Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 PM

Well, I tried just rinsing with water yesterday and my hair seemed waxy so I put on some dry shampoo.  I accidentally did too much but I couldn't quite get it to work in before I left so I had grey roots.  :/  Today i wore it all back with a headband and a bun because my bangs are funky.  My bangs we something I was concerned about anyway.  Since they also touch my skin more they pick up oil from it so it seems like they need to be washed more.  Do any of you veterans have bangs?  I just cut them a month ago and hate them so I'll be growing them out again but that will be a while. 

I think I will wash with BS/honey tomorrow night which I think is about a week.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#63 of 106 Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Incorrigible - I don't know how hard our water is, but I know that BS worked fine when we lived in another city, and when we moved it stopped working. If I add baking soda to water it just sits there - nothing dissolves, no amount of stirring will help. Adding it to boiling water helps some, but not completely. Super frustrating.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#64 of 106 Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 PM

dang! That's crazy!

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#65 of 106 Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

Well, I tried just rinsing with water yesterday and my hair seemed waxy so I put on some dry shampoo.  I accidentally did too much but I couldn't quite get it to work in before I left so I had grey roots.  :/  Today i wore it all back with a headband and a bun because my bangs are funky.  My bangs we something I was concerned about anyway.  Since they also touch my skin more they pick up oil from it so it seems like they need to be washed more.  Do any of you veterans have bangs?  I just cut them a month ago and hate them so I'll be growing them out again but that will be a while. 

I think I will wash with BS/honey tomorrow night which I think is about a week.

Co, I have bangs. They are pretty heavy, blunt bangs to my brows.  I would just brush them really well with a boar bristle brush (but I didn't ever try dry shampoo) until they transitioned along with the rest of my hair.  They don't really get dirty any faster than the rest of my hair now.

The water only wash really just rinses your hair, it'll be the bs/acv that will really "wash" it.  But in another week or two you will really see a change in your hair between washes.  It won't get very waxy or greasy.  I eventually found the bs/acv too drying and switched to water only for several months, but in the last month or two I've started conditioning my hair only as it was too dry without conditioner even though I was washing with water only. 

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#66 of 106 Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM

I did BS/coconut vinegar last night.  Aaaah, clean!  I am trying to get used to not having a lather but that's not a big deal.  I do feel like there is already more wave in my hair which is exciting. 

OK, this might seem like a silly question but... Is there a reason to go really long between washing other than convenience?   I know that you don't want to strip all the oils away but every 4/5 days doesn't feel excessive to me.  I am feeling like I am "supposed to" go longer but I'm not sure why.  Obviously I'm in the transition period and may find that eventually I can go longer but I'm just wondering if I'm making myself have bad hair days for no good reason. 

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#67 of 106 Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM

CoBabyMaker - I've asked myself this, too - I value the convenience, but not at the cost of a really painfully greasy transition.  So, after going one full week between my last regular shampoo & BS/ACV, I caved & did it again 5 days later (this time with at least twice as much BS, almost a paste, and ACV only on ends, and quickly rinsed out).  This time it worked MUCH better - could see no difference in my hair for 3 days, and now on Day 5 again, I could honestly wear it up no big deal, no oil slick (just a little flat down).  So, I may try for 6 days, and gradually lengthen, as others have mentioned.

It may just be my hair transitioning, but I think it's also finding the right BS/ACV proportions.  I don't think you are harming your hair (as long as it's not dried out) by continuing that cycle, but you may notice a gradual change - especially playing with your routine.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#68 of 106 Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

I did BS/coconut vinegar last night.  Aaaah, clean!  I am trying to get used to not having a lather but that's not a big deal.  I do feel like there is already more wave in my hair which is exciting. 

OK, this might seem like a silly question but... Is there a reason to go really long between washing other than convenience?   I know that you don't want to strip all the oils away but every 4/5 days doesn't feel excessive to me.  I am feeling like I am "supposed to" go longer but I'm not sure why.  Obviously I'm in the transition period and may find that eventually I can go longer but I'm just wondering if I'm making myself have bad hair days for no good reason. 

During transition, I think it is just to transition more quickly.  But I think  pickle is right, you have to do what works for you.

Afterwards, there isn't really a specific reason I think it just depends on your hair and what your goals of going no 'poo are.  For me, my hair really doesn't need to be rinsed and conditioned more than once a week.  So there wouldn't be much point to doing it more often, my hair would just get dried out.

For many, the reason to go no 'poo is to be as "natural" as possible, to get away from product use all together.  For others, it is just to move away from products with chemicals, or from commercially manufactured products.  So, if your goal is to be as "natural" as possible, you may try to go as long as possible between washes.  If it is just to move away from commercial products or from chemicals, you may chose to BS/ACV more often if that works for you and your hair.  It might not, your hair might get to dry if you use this "process" on it too often.

I think it's really just matching up your routine with what works for your hair and what is in line with your reasons for going no 'poo.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#69 of 106 Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM

I guess my main purpose right now is to avoid the chemicals in commercial products.  So I will probably go ahead and wash every 4 or 5 days right now and see how my hair does.  Maybe I will try washing with honey every other time since that would be less abrassive than baking soda.

#70 of 106 Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Are there any alternatives to the apple cider vinegar rinse? The smell of it never really leaves my hair, I'm really sensitive to smells. I don't notice it too much when its dry, but when I sweat or it gets damp again it just reeks of vinegar. So I have been using a small (dime-sized) dollop of regular conditioner on the ends of my hair after the baking soda wash, but I'd rather quit using that if there is a less-smelly alternative than vinegar.

What type of hair do you and/or your family members have?

I have very thick, yet very fine hair. Using regular shampoo I have always had dandruff, it has always looked flat and weighed down, and gets super oily. Sometimes I'd get some little sores and scabs on my scalp that I had no idea what caused them, but I'm thinking it was something in the shampoos. 

How long have you been 'poo free?  What are the changes, if any, that you've noticed in your hair/scalp?

About a month so far. I love how much more volume and texture my hair seems to have now, and the dandruff seems greatly reduced but it is still there. It still gets greasy looking a couple of days of not washing at all with baking soda. 

What is your no 'poo routine? 

I keep a jar of baking soda in the bathroom and put about a spoon full in a jar that I fill with warm water in the shower. I pour it over my head (from the top, bottom, and sides) and massage it into my scalp and let it sit a few minutes. After I rinse I use a tiny amount of conditioner. I wash it with baking soda every 2-4 days. 

What gets rid of dandruff/flaky scalp? 

Patience, I hope.

What are your recipes, if any? 

I miss the yummy smells of shampoo, so I put a couple of drops of essential oil on my boar bristle brush. Right now I am using lavendar and lemon essential oils, and I love it sooo much, I am excited to get some other kinds. 

#71 of 106 Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM

You can use any kind of acidic rinse. Lemon juice is popular. Spritely loves limes and sometimes uses lime juice. I'd think for a totally scentless mixture, you could use citric acid powder in water. I can't advise you to ratios, though. You'll have to play with it to figure it out.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#72 of 106 Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oread View Post

Are there any alternatives to the apple cider vinegar rinse? The smell of it never really leaves my hair, I'm really sensitive to smells. I don't notice it too much when its dry, but when I sweat or it gets damp again it just reeks of vinegar. So I have been using a small (dime-sized) dollop of regular conditioner on the ends of my hair after the baking soda wash, but I'd rather quit using that if there is a less-smelly alternative than vinegar.

I think lemon juice is pretty common, but some people have issues with it.  I also think the ACV is intended to condition your hair and I don't know if lemon juice does this or not.  I use conditioner because my hair was just way too dry if I used ACV and I was too lazy to do an oil treatment weekly.

What are your recipes, if any? 

I miss the yummy smells of shampoo, so I put a couple of drops of essential oil on my boar bristle brush. Right now I am using lavendar and lemon essential oils, and I love it sooo much, I am excited to get some other kinds. 

I love this idea!  I sometimes put a few drops of rosemary oil on my scalp and then brush through but next time I am going to put it right on the brush!

#73 of 106 Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 AM

My three sons and my husband are water-only since birth and I am slowly weaning off of using soap. I wash every 4 days with either castille soap /ACV rinse or a shampoo bar, I also use coconut oil every few days on my ends. It's so dry where we live! Every day I brush with a wood bristled brush and a boar bristle brush. I hope to stretch every 4 days to once a week and eventually longer. I tried BS/ACV and did not like it at all.

Oh I have just-past-chin length, thick, dark brown, straight hair. I love my hair on days 2 & 3 best! It's so very soft! Even on day 4 it's not very oily, just heavy feeling.
#74 of 106 Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM

I think my body is adjusting pretty well.  I realized today that it's been four or five days since I washed and I'm barely oily.  Pretty cool! 

#75 of 106 Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM

I know!!! It's so exciting - after a rough first two weeks, I am now seeing a definite gradual change in the third week.  It's day 5 of no 'poo this week, and while my hair doesn't look awesome (lil stringy) it isn't the super heavy oil slick it once was by now, for sure.  I haven't even used cocoa powder, though I may do a little tomorrow to make it through to Saturday (a whole week of no 'poo!).  

Love it! joy.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#76 of 106 Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Following smile.gif I'm almost 2 months in. I wash twice a week with 1T BS in 1c water followed by 1T ACV in 1c water.

I have been struggling with what seems to be hard water buildup on my hair - it feels a little dull and waxy, as if there is product in it. I brush daily with a boar bristle brush and it gets covered in what looks like white dust. I looked into it, and we have hard water so I tried using boiled water to mix my solutions and it seems to help.
#77 of 106 Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

greensad.gif I was doing no-poo and it was working for me up until a year ago.  I was 2 years into it and it was great......until it wasn't.  All of a sudden it wasn't working.  I was a waxy, greasy mess.  Nothing seemed to help other than doing the baking soda every day or every other day.  I used shampoo once to try to fix it and I got hooked.  I feel like an addict who slipped into old habits.  I'm now washing every other day with a silicone-free chemical stew of crap.  I feel like I failed.  It still feels soft and healthy and no split ends but I'm not a fan of putting all those chemicals on my head.  I want to try to wean back off the shampoo and start all over again I guess.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#78 of 106 Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM

Ah...these things happen. My whole family went onto the store bought stuff for years, and just recently started back up with no-poo. It's not a failure. There are just different phases to our habits throughout our lives. ;) If you're wanting to get back into it, go for it....if you're not ready yet, don't worry about it. Do what's right for you, and by you. 

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#79 of 106 Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM

I'm so happy you started this thread!

I have been thinking about doing BS+ACV for a while now, but was waiting for my 2-in-1 shampoo to empty.  I decided to try it tonight.  I shower at night and in the mornings, so I'm curious if it will help to manage the oily roots that people experience - if I try using BS+ACV in both my night and day showers in the beginning.  I'll keep you all posted.  

I just started a new job 2 weeks ago and I really don't want to have greasy hair.  Ha ha.

Stay tuned...

#80 of 106 Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Just posting to say that I've now celebrated my 1 year no-'poo anniversary!

#81 of 106 Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Just posting to say that I've now celebrated my 1 year no-'poo anniversary!

Congrats!

Things had been going pretty well and then yesterday something when really badly  When my hair dried the first 3 inches closest to the scalp was fine and the rest of it felt horribly dry and straw like.  I put oil in it and it still felt awful.  It feels somewhat better tonight but still not great.  Ack.  Makes me want to go shampoo and condition the old way. 

#82 of 106 Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 AM

Cobabymaker, maybe you could up the ACV concentration? Or maybe it is part of the "transition period" that everyone references.

I'm only 4 days in so I'll post if I have any changes along the way.
#83 of 106 Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe you need to start going longer between washes, use less b/s?  That's how I ended up going water only.  My hair was getting too dry from bs/acv, so now I do water only and also use a natural conditioner afterwards.  I do water only every 5 or 6 days and brush with a boar bristle brush inbetween.

Don't give up, you just need to find the routine that works for you, and that may need to change over time.

#84 of 106 Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM

NStewart what conditioner do you use?

Part of me starting this was because I was so tired of trying to find a shampoo and conditioner I was comfortable with ingredient wise.

#85 of 106 Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

I use this one from Rocky Mountain Soap Company.  Most of my body care products are from them: deodarant, soap in the bath tub, body wash for at the gym, moisturizer, lib balm, bubble bath for DS (actually, while it smells great the bubble bath isn't very bubbly.  I'm happy with everything else though!)...If only they made makeup!!

#86 of 106 Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

Ah...these things happen. My whole family went onto the store bought stuff for years, and just recently started back up with no-poo. It's not a failure. There are just different phases to our habits throughout our lives. ;) If you're wanting to get back into it, go for it....if you're not ready yet, don't worry about it. Do what's right for you, and by you. 

Thanks.  I needed the encouragement.  I felt guilty every time I washed my hair.  redface.gif  Stupid,  Anyway, I have been washing every other day so I just skipped my shampoo yesterday and did my baking soda and vinegar like I had been before.  Hopefully the transition isn't too bad this time.

#87 of 106 Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM

It wasn't for us. When we started using BS again, it was a really smooth transition. Dd is growing dreads and after her first shower her hair was still oily. So, I made up a more diluted ACV rinse for her, and it's fine now. The rest of us have just had clean hair after our showers, no adjustment period. We don't wait a week before washing our hair or anything though. We just wash it when it needs washing, like we did with shampoo. 

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#88 of 106 Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Help me troubleshoot? redface.gif  First, I still love no 'poo (especially the convenience factor with a koala bear kid - shorter showers = less screaming).  I'm just not so sure my hair does...

Is there such a thing as combination hair?  When I first wash it, it seems normal (maybe a tiny bit on the dry side), just really static-y.  As the days go by, I notice my hair tangles super easily, is still full of static, but gradually gets super greasy at the roots.  I brush at least 2-3 x a day with boar bristles, but towards the end of the week, my roots are really slicked down, and my hair just below that feels very heavy with oil, and is stringy.  Yet the lowest third is still brittle and straw-like.  And kind of sticky - and really tangled.

I use BS/ACV once a week.  I don't use ACV on my roots, and sometimes I don't want to use it at all, because when I get out of the shower my roots will be fine (just frizzy) and my hair will look the same dingy, stringy way it did pre-wash.  So I've been moving toward less of it, and rinsing it out faster - helps avoid instant stringiness, not so much with the rest of my problems.

Any ideas? help.gif

#89 of 106 Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

Help me troubleshoot? redface.gif  First, I still love no 'poo (especially the convenience factor with a koala bear kid - shorter showers = less screaming).  I'm just not so sure my hair does...

Is there such a thing as combination hair?  When I first wash it, it seems normal (maybe a tiny bit on the dry side), just really static-y.  As the days go by, I notice my hair tangles super easily, is still full of static, but gradually gets super greasy at the roots.  I brush at least 2-3 x a day with boar bristles, but towards the end of the week, my roots are really slicked down, and my hair just below that feels very heavy with oil, and is stringy.  Yet the lowest third is still brittle and straw-like.  And kind of sticky - and really tangled.

I use BS/ACV once a week.  I don't use ACV on my roots, and sometimes I don't want to use it at all, because when I get out of the shower my roots will be fine (just frizzy) and my hair will look the same dingy, stringy way it did pre-wash.  So I've been moving toward less of it, and rinsing it out faster - helps avoid instant stringiness, not so much with the rest of my problems.

Any ideas? help.gif

I remember when I first went 'poo free.  I'm pretty sure it was in this thread, and a mamma posted about how she didn't even use ACV and that she just "washed" her hair with water.  I remember thinking, "how is it possible that her hair and scalp is ever clean??"  After a lifetime of using shampoo I just couldn't imagine it!

Well, FF a year later and I only use water too.  My hair never gets greasy, and it isn't as dry either.  It is really dry where I live, so I do need to condition to keep it healthy and wish I didn't but I just do.  

So, I guess I am saying all this to suggest that maybe you try washing with just water? This will help with the ends not being so dry.  If you stop washing the oils your hair produces naturally out with the bs/acv your body won't need to react by producing more oil, so this could help your roots from getting greasy.  I found the BS very drying, so perhaps your body is just reacting to that drying effect on your scalp by creating even more oil.  It follows from people with acne issues being advised not to over-wash or use harsh soap on their face as it causes the body to react by producing more oil.

Maybe someone else has a different suggestion?

#90 of 106 Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM

I was shampoo-free for over 2 years and I STILL never got even close to washing only with water.  I don't understand that.  I just can't wrap my mind around it.  I'm not calling you dirty by any means.  I'm fascinated.  I just could not even get close to that with my hair and I'm not sure why.  I still had to use baking soda at least once a week, s ometimes twice, to keep it clean and not oily.

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page