Calling all no 'poo Mammas! - No 'Poo Support Thread? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

I was shampoo-free for over 2 years and I STILL never got even close to washing only with water.  I don't understand that.  I just can't wrap my mind around it.  I'm not calling you dirty by any means.  I'm fascinated.  I just could not even get close to that with my hair and I'm not sure why.  I still had to use baking soda at least once a week, s ometimes twice, to keep it clean and not oily.

I can totally understand not being able to wrap your head around it, a year ago I couldn't either.  Conversation with my little sister at lunch on Wednesday:

Sis: "Are you still doing the no shampoo thing?"

Me: "Yup"

Sis: "So you use baking soda and what again?"

Me: "No, I just use water now."

Sis: "What?!  But your hair is so clean!  Your bangs aren't even greasy!"

Me: "I know.  My hair doesn't get greasy."

Anyway, I am not sure why it works for me but BS sure didn't.  My hair was as dry as straw!  I do scrub my scalp when I wash my hair just as if there were shampoo in my hair.  I also scrub it again when I rinse my conditioner out (maybe the conditioner washes my hair?).  I also use a boar bristle brush every day (more than once) and I do have to wash the brush with soap or shampoo at least once a week because the brush gets dirty, so I think the brush is cleaning my hair?

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#92 of 106 Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

That really is fascinating to me.  lol.gif  I know that's stupid but I am blown away that you can get off shampoo completely.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#93 of 106 Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

That really is fascinating to me.  lol.gif  I know that's stupid but I am blown away that you can get off shampoo completely.

I never thought I could do it either, and I clung to BS/ACV for a long time. It wasn't good for my hair, and it was like straw, but at least I knew my hair was clean.

Then I switched hairdressers, and she recommended I use conditioner to "wash" my hair. I told her I had started doing water only and prefer that b/c it makes for short showers (pickle, are you reading?) and no chemicals. She said she understood the chemical issue but that even with water only it should NOT mean shorter showers! You still "wash" your hair and scrub/massage your scalp and run your fingers through your hair like you do with shampoo. The only difference, she said, is that you don't actually use shampoo, but you DO the same things you would be doing with the shampoo. Make sense?

So I went conditioner-only for awhile, then dropped it and do water-only. I thought for sure I would have to use conditioner b/c my hair is so dry and frizzy, but now that I'm washing my hair and scalp, it's getting better. At my last haircut, I confessed to her that I stopped the conditioner and was concerned b/c my roots seemed like they might be starting to get oily. She said no, that's healthy hair. She said I have the healthiest hair of any of her clients now, and that my hair was NOT dirty (I wasn't so sure, b/c I'm used to it being so dry and now it's not). I sniff it CONSTANTLY to make sure it doesn't smell bad, and it smells like nothing. It took me a few months to get used to it, but I like it now. My bangs are actually drier than the rest of my hair, not greasier, so I use argan oil on them.

#94 of 106 Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

I never thought I could do it either, and I clung to BS/ACV for a long time. It wasn't good for my hair, and it was like straw, but at least I knew my hair was clean.

Then I switched hairdressers, and she recommended I use conditioner to "wash" my hair. I told her I had started doing water only and prefer that b/c it makes for short showers (pickle, are you reading?) and no chemicals. She said she understood the chemical issue but that even with water only it should NOT mean shorter showers! You still "wash" your hair and scrub/massage your scalp and run your fingers through your hair like you do with shampoo. The only difference, she said, is that you don't actually use shampoo, but you DO the same things you would be doing with the shampoo. Make sense?

So I went conditioner-only for awhile, then dropped it and do water-only. I thought for sure I would have to use conditioner b/c my hair is so dry and frizzy, but now that I'm washing my hair and scalp, it's getting better. At my last haircut, I confessed to her that I stopped the conditioner and was concerned b/c my roots seemed like they might be starting to get oily. She said no, that's healthy hair. She said I have the healthiest hair of any of her clients now, and that my hair was NOT dirty (I wasn't so sure, b/c I'm used to it being so dry and now it's not). I sniff it CONSTANTLY to make sure it doesn't smell bad, and it smells like nothing. It took me a few months to get used to it, but I like it now. My bangs are actually drier than the rest of my hair, not greasier, so I use argan oil on them.

How long were you off of the BS/ACV before you could go w/o conditioner?  I did water only for a couple of months (same as you, I "washed" it with water just as if I were using shampoo) but my hair was so dry, I had bad split ends, etc.  I would prefer not to use any product, but couldn't handle having such damaged hair (and my hair isn't waist lenght or anything, it is just past my shoulders).  I wonder if it's the very dry climate, combined with hard water, where I live that makes conditioning necessary?

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#95 of 106 Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm in a dry climate too. I think it took me about 6-9 months to get off the conditioner. I used it daily for a few weeks, then went to every other day, then tried not to "wash" my hair at all but a few times a week. I alternated using conditioner and not, so I guess I used it about twice a week and then washed water-only twice a week. When I went off conditioner altogether, I started washing with water-only, I washed every day or only skipped one day. Right now, I don't like my haircut much, so I only wash a few times a week with just water My scalp is not oily at all, my hair is still on the dry side so I use argan oil on it, and it feels so soft. It has NEVER felt soft at all, but now it feels really good. So the next issue is to find a cut I can live with!

It's not only your scalp that needs time to adapt to the change; your hair will need time to grow out and it'll grow in healthier. I think my hairdresser said 5 months for my bangs to completely grow out (they're not really bangs, they're halfway down my face). HTH

It seems like a long  time, but for me it was well worth it. I figured I have bad hair either way, so I might as well get away from the chemicals and at least have healthy bad hair!

#96 of 106 Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks SWD!  Right now, I "wash" with water and condition every 5-6 days.  I don't get my hair wet at all in between.  It isn't even oily or greasy by day 5 or 6, but by day 6 it does need a "wash" more for my scalp than my hair.  I could try conditioning every other time and using the oil you suggest on the alternate week, and see how that works.

#97 of 106 Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM

Hair Type: Fine, Straight, Brown Hair

Poo Free for 1 year (Woot!) with way less hair fall out, what seems like faster hair growth and lots of new hair growth.

What is your no 'poo routine? I No Poo about every 4-5 days applying baking soda straight to my scalp and roots. I allow to sit till my roots feel "slippery" and then follow by using a spray bottle filled with my white vinegar rinse (ACV over conditioned my hair).  I use an Aloe Honey shampoo that I make if I get "itchy" head (clears it right up) and actually helped me get out of the transition phase faster.

Products Used: Baking Soda and a white vinegar rinse

What gets rid of dandruff/flaky scalp? Aloe Honey "Poo" (mix aloe gel and honey and apply to scalp and hair)

What are your recipes, if any?  You can find my Aloe Honey "Poo" here: http://coderedhat.com/no-poo-recipe-aloe-honey/

How often do you use the various "products"? After a hot oil treatment I have to use a low poo to get all the oil out. I love Shea Moisture Organic shampoo (about $8 at Walgreens...you'll find it in the African hair care section but works great on all hair types)

Do you ever wash your hair? Yes, when I do an oil treatment or egg mask.  If so, do you have to start from square 1? No. I use a low poo shampoo so not to have to start from square one.

What are people's reactions when they find out you are 'poo free?  They look at me like I'm joking. Then they ask me a ton of questions after seeing my lovely hair.

Me and my No Poo hair

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#98 of 106 Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Yup, that's what I was doing when I did water only - I got that tip from this thread, to really massage my scalp, etc.  I don't think I was washing with water every day, though.  More like, BS/ACV once a week, and water once or twice in between (maybe daily would make the difference?).  So my showers were shorter from skipping getting my hair wet altogether. 

My hair had more body using BS/ACV, but it was dry - and over time, I had more and more breakage and split ends (and that awful greasy roots, straw hair combo I mentioned before after a couple days).  So I broke down and busted out some all-natural, ultra-moisturizing shampoo for damaged hair - full of shea butter & argan oil.  I am *much* happier using this!  I use it about once a week (once every 5-7 days depending).  It doesn't strip oil from my hair at all - it does make my roots seem a bit "cleaner" but not dryer, and it really conditions the rest of my hair. So even though it's a shampoo, the results are reminding me more of washing with conditioner.  My hair is still heavy with natural oils (the shampoo is formulated for African-American hair - which I don't have - but to give you an idea of how conditioning it is).  

If there was a magical way for it to be this nourished + the old body and shine of regular shampoo - now that would be perfection!  But I'm happy wtih the cost and time savings of this trade.  thumb.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#99 of 106 Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM

There is a great alternative for vinegar - citric acid (not ascorbic acid). It's cheap, relatively easy to find, you use less of it and it has no odor at all.

Here's how you make it:

citric acid rinse replaces vinegar

Taken from Never Shampoo Again! How to Wash Your Hair Using the No Poo Method

#100 of 106 Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 AM

I hope this thread is still live because I've just gone 'no poo'.

I have thin hair but lots of it and shed an insane amount of hair all year round.  I also have scalp problems a sort of mild cradle cap eczema that forms around my hair line so I have to use special shampoo to get rid of it.  I really wanted to find a sodium laureth sulphate free shampoo but I had to order it online and it was really expensive so I thought I would try no poo.

The first wash I used a tablespoon of BS in one large cup of water followed by the same amount of ACV, hair felt great, second wash my hair started to feel greasy but I'm not sure if I rubbed the BS in enough as my LO was in the shower with me trying to grab the cups.  Then we went swimming in a chlorinated pool.  I rinsed my hair and applied traditional conditioner and rinsed off.  My hair felt gross so I washed it the next day with BS and AVC now I have got soooo much wax on my hair it is disgusting!  It is just long enough to tie up so I keep it tied up all the time.  I have only been going for a week, is it too soon to do an egg yolk wash for the wax?

If I flip my hair over and brush it, then flip back it stays in that position, ay it's so waxy it's like having just one lump of hair :irked

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#101 of 106 Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

What type of hair do you and/or your family members have?

Thick, very slightly wavey, blonde.

Our water quality is moderately hard to hard.

How long have you been 'poo free?  What are the changes, if any, that you've noticed in your hair/scalp?

8ish years. My skin (both scalp and in general) is much clearer (and yes, this is definitely because of no-poo and not because I'm older). I think shampoo was my entire acne problem. My hair feels more course unless I've just done BS/ACV in the past few days but looks fine, at least IMO.

What is your no 'poo routine? 

Water daily. Conditioner once a week usually. BS/ACV about once every 3 weeks or so when I feel like I'm getting buildup - more often than that and I lose too much hair.

When I do BS/ACV, I take a tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with just enough water to make a paste, which I then rub directly into the problem areas. Let it sit for a few minutes (this saponifies the hair oils), then, when it is a little lathery, rub through the rest of the hair and rinse well. Then I do a few tablespoons ACV in a cup of water (I just eyeball this, not actually measure) to neutralize any remaining baking soda.

My relationship with no-poo changed when I found this - before, I didn't think it worked well with my hair. Now, if I do this, my hair looks and feels shampooed.

What "products" do you use? (baking soda, ACV, oils, lemon juice, etc. etc.) 

Baking soda, ACV (or white vinegar if we don't have ACV), conditioner (Suave works best for me. I found that natural brands tend to give my scalp a musty smell after a few days. Same with flax seed gel when I tried that). I've tried other random things in the past (tea and coffee rinses), but they haven't given me exciting enough results to do faithfully.

What gets rid of dandruff/flaky scalp?

Not my problem, so I don't know.

What are your recipes, if any? 

I'm not that creative.

Do you ever wash your hair? (When it gets cut, if it gets really dirty with dirt or smoke, etc.)  If so, do you have to start from square 1?

I wash my hair regularly, as described above. Just without using shampoo :) Saying people who do no-poo don't wash their hair is sending the wrong impression - we're just using alternative cleaning products. Specifically, products that many people use to clean bathrooms and kitchens and other places that need to be clean.

I used to shampoo before special occasions. Then I finally made the connection that this was why I always (and only) broke out on special occasions. Now I do BS/ACV instead on those occasions and it works just fine. Usually I do it a day or two before if I have enough warning, because I feel like my hair behaves better after a day or two.

However, when I did use shampoo, I definitely wasn't starting over from square 1 when I did.

If something really horrible got in my hair I'd shampoo and deal with the effects, but that has yet to happen. ACV is often recommended for getting smoke out of hair.

What are people's reactions when they find out you are 'poo free?  Any funny stories to share?

I don't tend to talk about it except on the rare occasion that someone else who is interested in it brings the topic up.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#102 of 106 Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

My partner's shampoo-free. It just doesn't work with their hair, makes it really dry and awful, so they go conditioner only and always have. I don't know their exact ritual or anything- I don't know how often, etc. I just know that every few weeks the tangles get bad enough that I have to spend half an hour combing it out.  I think my partner's basically always been shampoo-free. At least as long as they've been growing their hair out, so quite a few years. My partner has thin, curly hair.

LO's shampoo-free as well. Baby was born with a full head of hair and easily dried-out skin. Because I couldn't find baby conditioner we stupidly used shampoo the first few weeks, which left to horrible dry scalp for my poor baby. The pediatrician suggested mineral oil and a prescription cream- but to continue shampooing. We just tracked down a good, baby-safe conditioner and suddenly there was no more dry-scalp problems. :eyesroll

We'll see what puberty brings, but I'm expecting that baby will be shampoo-free for a very long time.

I try going shampoo-free periodically but have a really hard time of it. I try just using conditioner, just combing it out, etc. Every time I do- my scalp gets itchy as @#$, the oiliness builds up, etc. If I only use conditioner, I still feel like I need to wash my hair, it doesn't do anything. It gets horribly itchy after just a few days, so trying to go longer is torture, I basically spend my entire day scratching my scalp off. Maybe there's a hump I have to get over- but getting over it is just too hard for me. My hair is thick and curly.

After reading @luckiest's post, I may start trying using Grandma's Natural Soap on my hair as well. I LOVE it for my face.

#103 of 106 Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 AM

Claire, it sounds like we have similar hair. How is it going now for you?

I've been no poo for 10 months now. I do baking soda and acv twice a week. I have had eczema my whole life, so I try to avoid washing my hair more than that. I shower as needed but don't get my hair wet most days. In the last month, I've had a flare up of eczema along with my seasonal allergies, and its been especially bad on my scalp. The baking soda really soothes it. Is it ok to use baking soda more frequently, or will it damage my fine, thin hair?
#104 of 106 Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb2102 View Post

Claire, it sounds like we have similar hair. How is it going now for you?

Not that great!  The egg wash made my hair feel cleaner but it got really waxy.  I did an apple sauce wash, dried it and then had to get back in the shower to wash it again because of the little pieces of apple.  It was amazing at getting rid of the wax though.  Then I did a few BS washes with a black tea rinse and my hair seemed quite OK, I could wear it down.  Then I made the mistake of reading a blog that said that BS was way to harsh for your hair, would cause long term damage and your hair to break and suggested washing with a solution of honey and water.  Big mistake if you've got greasy hair!!  It was so bad, my face and back felt greasy too.  I then got sick and my eczema was flairing up so I ended up caving and washing with what I hope is 'low poo' Urtekram nettle shampoo.

http://www.econatural.ie/hair-care/149-urtekram-nettle-shampoo-2-x-250ml.html

It lathers a bit which feels great but I really notice that with anything but traditional shampoo I have a hard time getting the hair at the nape of my neck clean.  I only have traditional conditioner at the mo which might make everything pointless.  My hair also really needs blow drying otherwise it looks crap.

I really wanted this to work so I'm hoping if I can get my eczema under control I can start again in a while.  I will also use a clarifying shampoo next time.

I don't have a lot of experience with BS so I'm not sure if it will damage your hair or not.  I don't know what to put on my eczema because most creams then make my hair line look greasy.

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#105 of 106 Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Sorry if this has already been asked, I haven't made it all the way though the posts yet. I was wondering if anyone else has really hard water? I did the bs/acv thing ages ago and it worked pretty well but where we are living now has hard water and last time I tried washing with baking soda it didn't rinse out was all filmy and gross...

I only wash my hair two or three times a week anyway but it seems like it greasy all the time right now. I recently tried doing conditioner washes and that looked good for the first day than it was greasy again. I don't brush my hair much maybe that is a factor?

#106 of 106 Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Glad to see this thread is back! I started trying the no poo thing last year but quickly fell off the wagon. I want to do this again but haven't gotten to it yet. Because of finances we'd started using cheapy shampoo/conditioner here recently but I bought the Tresemme "Naturals" again the other day to at least get some of the chemicals out of our hair. I'm going to start out lessening the amount of shampoo & conditioner I use and how often I shampoo so I can hopefully start the no poo again soon. I love the idea of the no poo balls! That would make things a lot easier. The time spent fixing up the regimen and the transition phase did me in last time so I'm hoping to be better prepared this time. My kids rarely use any shampoo so I'm hoping I can transition them a lot quicker. They'll be glad for that anyways. I'm going to order us natural hairbrushes to start using also and see how that might help. Thanks for the suggestions!

P.S. There use to be a great thread here about no poo that was stickied back before the forum layout changed. I wonder where it went to... anyone know? I'll have to try to hunt it up later.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page