Mothering Forum banner

Calling all no 'poo Mammas! - No 'Poo Support Thread?

12K views 109 replies 42 participants last post by  ronnie1337 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've noticed that there are a fair number of no 'poo threads scattered through this forum and I've been reading them as I've decided to try going 'poo free. I couldn't post in the due date club no 'poo thread that is currently running either, so here I am!

I was wondering if it would be helpful to try to "compile" questions and answers (as well as people's no 'poo stories) in one thread for ease of reference. It seems like a lot of folks have similar questions, but different things have worked for different 'no poo families, etc. So here is my attempt to start such a thread!

Here's my (short) story and some questions to start things off. I'm only on day 5 of going 'poo free, and I usually only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days anyway, so this is really the very beginning for me. I've just been brushing my hair out (it is just past my shoulders) with a boar bristle brush and in the bath yesterday I just rinsed it with water. So far it feels a bit waxy but it is not greasy and it looks freakin' awesome today. Usually only a ton of product will get it to hold a curl, but I used my straight iron to curl it this morning at I've got beautiful wavy curls, tons of body (my hair is quite fine, usually) and not a drop of product in my hair! DS is already poo free (he's 19 mos). DH doesn't know (yet) that I've decided to go poo free and I think it might be good for him to try as well as his hair always looks greasy and he has dandruff (his hair is short, curly and he is balding).

Some questions: (which I know have some answers already in this forum, just hoping to compile info in one place, as I said)

What type of hair do you and/or your family members have?

How long have you been 'poo free? What are the changes, if any, that you've noticed in your hair/scalp?

What is your no 'poo routine?

What "products" do you use? (baking soda, ACV, oils, lemon juice, etc. etc.)

What gets rid of dandruff/flaky scalp?

What are your recipes, if any?

How often do you use the various "products"?

Do you ever wash your hair? (When it gets cut, if it gets really dirty with dirt or smoke, etc.) If so, do you have to start from square 1?

What are people's reactions when they find out you are 'poo free? Any funny stories to share?

Anyone want to share pictures of their 'poo free hair?

Thanks for reading, I hope you'll post!
joy.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
My 84 years old grandma never used shampoo in her life. She washes her hair with an egg white and rinses with a diluted white vinegar. She had curly dark hair (now they are white/grey).
Myself I have medium blond wavy hair and going no poo took the freeze away. My scalp is generally healthier. Since my scalp is super dry I didn't have an adjustment period at all.

#3 ·

How long have you been 'poo free? What are the changes, if any, that you've noticed in your hair/scalp?

A few years I'm not sure exactly how long anymore...

I mostly wash with water only but use 'products' once a week or every other week. I use henna once a month to look somewhat relaited to my kids, lol.

I like using herbals in my hair every now and then. I henna monthly and occassionly use neem if I think I have a bug. I use distilled water and baking soda and rinse with distilled water then use ACV or lemon juice just depending on which I have drunk less of that week:) I usually use rosemary and tea tree oil in my scalp.

I love to massage coconut oil or olive oil or sesame with rosemary and teatree or sometimes even pepper mint oil into my scalp. I don't mind if I look a little greasy and noone has ever commented that it looks that way. Usually I will massage my scalp with only a little oil unless I plan to cleanse it with bs/acv the next day then I will slather it up and sleep with a hankerchief or hat on to keep the oil in.

I just adlib with the bs and acv and eo's. It really depends on my mood sometimes I like to use lavender if I shower before bed other times I'll use sweet orange eo if it's in the morning etc... I go by the motto less is more and only use small amounts of everything.

I use water every few days when I shower, I use acv/bs once every weeek or two and I use oil a couple of times a week.

Do you ever wash your hair? (When it gets cut, if it gets really dirty with dirt or smoke, etc.) If so, do you have to start from square 1?

Yes I wash my hair with water all the time;)

What are people's reactions when they find out you are 'poo free? Any funny stories to share?

I don't think anyone knows... I get complements on my hair every now and then and it's usually strangers who think I'm joking if I tell them it's because I use only water in my hair.

#4 ·
I've been poo free for almost a year and a half, and just moved my oily-headed teen to no poo. I just use water, and then every 2 wks or so I use baking soda mixed w/water, rinse well, and then pour acv mixed w/water over it. I would like to get some eo to use in a spray once in awhile, but it's not that important to me.

I have dreads, but before dreading, my hair was long and fairly thick w/a little wave in it. My dd's hair is straight as a board and thin. It tends to get very oily very quickly which is why I moved her to no poo. Hoping she won't be so oily anymore. I'm washing her hair w/bs and rinsing w/acv every couple of days for a couple of weeks and then we'll go to just water and see what happens.

Nice to know that all I have on my head is clean hair w/no nasty residues. I really can't stand it when someone smells up my house w/all kinds of poison products, thinking that it makes them smell better. Really it's just a waste of $. My dh and kids say my hair smells very clean. Unless I've been smoking meat, and then I smell like maple and pecan smoke, lol.

My own hair has been on the dry side for several years, due I'm sure to nursing for like ever, and aging (I'm 39). I only have to rinse my dreads once a week or two, but I do it weekly, sometimes a couple of times. They NEVER get oily.

#5 ·
I'm the only No Poo person, and mine is down to about my shoulders and typically is oily.

About 5-6 months now. I've noticed that I never get dandruff and my hair never gets oily anymore.

2Tbsp baking soda to 8 oz water, found that I needed this much *at least* or my hair still seems oily.

Baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

I just use my regular No Poo routine and mine has gone away. 2Tbsp baking soda to 8oz water: pour on a little at a time while massaging into scalp. Then 1Tbsp ACV to 8oz water, use on hair ends (trying to avoid scalp)

----

Not at all.

I have washed my hair once in six months and it was fine, I was just in a rush to get to work and realized I was out of BS DOH!

Thankfully most of my friends are very natural living-oriented so no one has thought it was very weird.

I don't have any good pics on this computer, however I do have a tip for those who are going through a "hair detox" from going no poo:
Dry shampoos are your friend. Light colored hair can use things like cornstarch and dark haired people, such as myself, can use what I use: unsweetened cocoa! I just brush it through my hair on days where i get a little oily and it's immediately gone. Smells great when I go to shower it out too lol

#6 ·
Now that I'm on week 3, I thought I could answer my own post.
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Some questions: (which I know have some answers already in this forum, just hoping to compile info in one place, as I said)

What type of hair do you and/or your family members have? I have shoulder length, poker straight, average thickness (but lots of it) hair and it tends to be dry, not oily. DH also decided to try going 'poo free. He has short, curly hair and is balding. He tends to be oily. DS, 19 mos, has very fine, straight hair and has been 'poo free from day 1.

How long have you been 'poo free? What are the changes, if any, that you've noticed in your hair/scalp? Me, 3 weeks. Changes: None, really, except that it's really easy to style and I don't need any products. DH has been 'poo free 8 days and his scalp and hair are less oily than usual and his dandruff seems to have cleared up and he doesn't seem to even need the BS/ACV routine yet. Oh, and I think his hair looks nicer than usual too.

What is your no 'poo routine? See below.

What "products" do you use? (baking soda, ACV, oils, lemon juice, etc. etc.) Baking soda, ACV, and rosemary oil for scent.

What gets rid of dandruff/flaky scalp? I don't know! Working on it!

How often do you use the various "products"? About once per week.

Do you ever wash your hair? (When it gets cut, if it gets really dirty with dirt or smoke, etc.) If so, do you have to start from square 1? Not so far. I'm wondering about camping season, as it usually gets pretty smokey and I find with shampoo I've had to wash it at least twice to get the smell out. Maybe BS will do a better job.

What are people's reactions when they find out you are 'poo free? Any funny stories to share? I haven't told many people so far, but DH and my sister both decided to try it after I told them I was.

Thanks for reading, I hope you'll post!
joy.gif
I'm glad to see people responding! Good information, thanks!

I am now on week 3 of going no 'poo. Mostly, I love it because I always hated washing my hair anyway. I've done 1tbs BS to 1 cup water and 1 tbs ACV to 1 cup water about once a week. My hair is not at all oily, even by day 8 (which was today, and I just did the BS/ACV routine anyway). I even had to put a tiny bit of coconut oil on the ends last time as I found they were dry, even though I brush really well every night with a boar bristle brush. I bought some rosemary oil to add to the ACV/Water and love how it smells. The ONLY issue I'm having is I still have dandruff right now, ugh. The first two times I washed I rinsed my hair and scalp with ACV/Water. This time I just did the ends, so we'll see if that helps (thanks christinahudler!) If that doesn't do the trick, I may also try massaging oil into my scalp to see if that helps. I tend to be very dry generally, so I guess why should my scalp be different from the rest of me? It's also terribly dry where I live which doesn't help.

#7 ·
I'm considering going no poo. Maybe someone will have some possible answers to my questions:

How often do you no poo? How often in the beginning?

What about if you work out several times a week? I workout 3-4 times a week and typically shower and shampoo/condition after my work outs.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

I'm considering going no poo. Maybe someone will have some possible answers to my questions:

How often do you no poo? How often in the beginning?

What about if you work out several times a week? I workout 3-4 times a week and typically shower and shampoo/condition after my work outs.
How often you need to no 'poo will depend on how chemically dependent your hair is right now. If you currently shampoo every day, then you'll need to no 'poo more often in the beginning than someone who only shampooed every 3 or 4 days. Or, you can try to go cold turkey and stretch it out to a week in the beginning and just know you might be a bit oily for the first few weeks. I used to shampoo every 3 to 4 days, and went a week between BS/ACV treatment from the beginning. I was a bit oily the first week but that was it. Now I've decided to go 2 weeks between BS/ACV as I was actually finding my self too dry as opposed to too oily doing the BS/ACV weekly. I am trying to do scalp massages every few days, and am applying a few drops of rosemary oil when I do the massage (because it smells pretty and feels nice
orngbiggrin.gif
).

I do sometimes "wash" my hair with water in the shower, which is what you can do after a work out.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

How often you need to no 'poo will depend on how chemically dependent your hair is right now. If you currently shampoo every day, then you'll need to no 'poo more often in the beginning than someone who only shampooed every 3 or 4 days.
I shampoo/condition about every other day since that's when I workout. I joined a gym with childcare to have time to work out, shower and blow dry my hair!

#10 ·
Quick question because I don't know the rules here on Mothering. I have a very new blog and I made two posts about "No Poo". One goes over my routine and explains some ways to tailor it to your hair type, the other explains the ways I saved myself from going crazy through the detox stage. Am I allowed to link to the blog posts if I'm not making money or anything from this? Is it spam...?

#11 ·
I am on day #4 'no-poo'. It's going great so far! At this point I only have one question...... Do you use the entire baking soda/water combo (I've been mixing 2 tbsp BS & 1.5 cups water) in one shower, or do you use a handful amount like you would "shampoo"? Same with the ACV/water combo? How much do you use?

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaash View Post

I am on day #4 'no-poo'. It's going great so far! At this point I only have one question...... Do you use the entire baking soda/water combo (I've been mixing 2 tbsp BS & 1.5 cups water) in one shower, or do you use a handful amount like you would "shampoo"? Same with the ACV/water combo? How much do you use?
I use the full cup of water (1tbsp/cup) and pour it all over my head, and give myself a really good scalp massage with it. I then use 2 cups water/2tbsp ACV with a few drops of rosemary oil in it (just because I like the scent) to rinse, starting with my scalp. I then let it sit in my hair while I soap up or shave or whatever, then do a final rinse with water. To be honest, I'm still working on my routine as I've only been no 'poo for about 2 months. This is what I did last night and I liked it. Also, I went 2 weeks in between doing this routine instead of 1 week, and for me it was much better. I think you'll just have to expirement to see what works for you. I have been giving myself a scalp massage with just 2 or 3 drops of rosemary oil every few days as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

I shampoo/condition about every other day since that's when I workout. I joined a gym with childcare to have time to work out, shower and blow dry my hair!
Just expirement and see what works for you. Rinse with water after work-outs. Stretch out the time between BS/ACVing as long as you can handle in the beginning. Brush your hair with a boar bristle brush really well every night as well, this will help spread your natural oils through your hair so that your scalp won't get greasy as quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Quick question because I don't know the rules here on Mothering. I have a very new blog and I made two posts about "No Poo". One goes over my routine and explains some ways to tailor it to your hair type, the other explains the ways I saved myself from going crazy through the detox stage. Am I allowed to link to the blog posts if I'm not making money or anything from this? Is it spam...?
I don't know either. Try posting the question in the "questions and suggestions" forum.

#14 ·
Hi ladies! Ive been no pooing for about three weeks now and i think i hit the transition period around day 7-10 cuz after that my hair honestly feels like normal now. It gets somewhat waxy sometimes but not as bad as during transition when i had to comb it more often to distribute the oils.

My routine has been to just shower every other day, like ive been doing since i was a kid but instead of shampoo, i just massage my scalp with the water from the shower. I believe this is true no poo, i use no bs, no acv, just water from the shower! After my second week, im noticing that i can go longer between wetting my hair...if my body feels gross, ill just tie up my hair every other day to rinse my body, and it seems if i wait 3-4 days between wetting my hair, it actually feels better. Idk, maybe my hair is transitioning really well. I never used styling products before and i dont blowdry my hair ever and ive never dyed it either so maybe thats y??

Originally, my hair was straight, super fine but lots of hairs that never curled or kept its style. I had wispy baby hairs around my forehead that never stayed smooth when i wore it up. After going no poo, i have thicker stranded hairs and slightly heavier, from the sebum i guess, and its very stylable. Sometimes i get oily areas but i try to comb my hair with my wide toothed comb about three times a day and thats it! So far, no need for a boar brush on my just below shoulder length hair and i should also add that i bring the comb with me to detangle after my scalp massage in the shower.

No one i know does no poo and since my once skeptical dh said my hair doesnt stink, i hope i can convince him to go no poo too! We ll see!

One question tho....i got a hair cut today and my hairdresser seemed caught off guard about my no pooing and she said her main concern was follicle damge. I am worried now that this may be possible. She said she wondered if my follicles may be killed from not proper cleaning. So far i think my hair looks and feels healthy so i originally didnt think there would be damage from no pooing but now i cant get the thought outta my head. I couldnt find anything online so im reaching out to u all!

Any ideas about this follicle damage thing? I wonder if any hairdressers do no poo?!

#15 ·
H2oMama - I have no idea but would be interested in the answer.

I am on day 5 of no poo. I might have no pooed yesterday except I was out of apple cider vinegar. The way today is looking I probably won't no poo today so will just wait till tomorrow. I am curious on how things will work after that....

#16 ·
I use baking soda and water. I squeeze it out of an old shampoo bottle and rub it in a few minutes before I jump in the shower. I do this on church nights (sunday and wednesday) and I wash with just water everyday. I rinse with cold water to keep it sleek. I love it and my hair is much much softer now. Good luck going no 'poo
joy.gif

#17 ·
Hi! I'm new to the mothering community and wanted to join this discussion as a first try. Thanks for starting a thread combining info about no 'poo experiences! I'm happy to share my experience so far, but also am hopeful that someone has some encouragement and/or thoughts about how to continue.

I used to wash my hair every other day, let it air dry, used no styling products. During my shampoo washing days, my hair looked best the day I washed it, full and clean. On non-wash days it would lay flat, start looking a bit greasy, so I would wear it up. I started no 'poo a little over five weeks ago. Washing w/baking soda makes it as clean as with shampoo! Rinsing with ACV left it feeling heavy and waxy, so I switched to rinsing w/lemon juice which works much better for my hair type. On the day I wash it with BS, it looks full and clean and healthy, just like it always has. By the second day I need to wear it up, just like when I used to use shampoo. By the third day it's gotten quite greasy and I have to "wash" it under running warm/hot water. I'm surprised at how much less greasy it looks from rinsing just with water, but it's still too greasy to wear down. I scrub my scalp under running water every day until the next baking soda wash day, and have to wear my hair in a pony tail every day. I thought I would have seen more improvement by now, starting week 6. I'm sad that I have to wear my hair up 6 out 7 days every week, and at having to wet it 6 out of 7 days (makes for more work than I used to have when I washed hair with shampoo every other day). Does it just take a lot longer for some people's hair to find it's equilibrium? Should I not rinse it with water so often because I'm rinsing out the grease so scalp is producing more? But then it's so greasy I just look like I have perpetually wet hair! I do brush it once every day with a boar bristle brush (well, synthetic version I'm sure) which seems to help distribute the grease away from the scalp. Looking forward to having more "hair down" days, and less "wet hair" days. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Med-dark blond, straight with slight wave at ends, just below shoulder length, fine but lots of hair.

5 weeks. Hair feels softer, thicker, not as clean so far except on days I wash.

Every week, wash hair w/ baking soda and rinse w/ lemon juice on Day 1; Nothing on day 2; "wash" with water on days 3-7. Brush daily.

Baking soda 'poo and lemon juice rinse.

Not an issue so far.

1 Tbsp baking soda in ~ 1 cup water and ~1 Tbsp lemon juice in ~1cup water.

Once a week.

Not so far. Have read it won't make a difference once in a while.

Have only told my husband so far, he says my hair looks beautiful (on the days I've washed it :)), thicker, maybe a bit darker. I told one friend who seemed mostly uncomprehending and so the subject was quickly dropped. I am temporarily living in Korea and people here primp more than in the west I think.

Nope!

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2oMama View Post

One question tho....i got a hair cut today and my hairdresser seemed caught off guard about my no pooing and she said her main concern was follicle damge. I am worried now that this may be possible. She said she wondered if my follicles may be killed from not proper cleaning. So far i think my hair looks and feels healthy so i originally didnt think there would be damage from no pooing but now i cant get the thought outta my head. I couldnt find anything online so im reaching out to u all!
Any ideas about this follicle damage thing? I wonder if any hairdressers do no poo?!
I can't see why this would be the case...you are washing your hair, just with water and with BS and not shampoo. Do you massage your scalp? This also cleans/clears the follicles. Plus there are tons of no poo mamas and I've never read a story about anyone's hair falling out or being damaged. Mine is healthier for sure since going no 'poo in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinsca View Post

Hi! I'm new to the mothering community and wanted to join this discussion as a first try. Thanks for starting a thread combining info about no 'poo experiences! I'm happy to share my experience so far, but also am hopeful that someone has some encouragement and/or thoughts about how to continue.

I used to wash my hair every other day, let it air dry, used no styling products. During my shampoo washing days, my hair looked best the day I washed it, full and clean. On non-wash days it would lay flat, start looking a bit greasy, so I would wear it up. I started no 'poo a little over five weeks ago. Washing w/baking soda makes it as clean as with shampoo! Rinsing with ACV left it feeling heavy and waxy, so I switched to rinsing w/lemon juice which works much better for my hair type. On the day I wash it with BS, it looks full and clean and healthy, just like it always has. By the second day I need to wear it up, just like when I used to use shampoo. By the third day it's gotten quite greasy and I have to "wash" it under running warm/hot water. I'm surprised at how much less greasy it looks from rinsing just with water, but it's still too greasy to wear down. I scrub my scalp under running water every day until the next baking soda wash day, and have to wear my hair in a pony tail every day. I thought I would have seen more improvement by now, starting week 6. I'm sad that I have to wear my hair up 6 out 7 days every week, and at having to wet it 6 out of 7 days (makes for more work than I used to have when I washed hair with shampoo every other day). Does it just take a lot longer for some people's hair to find it's equilibrium? Should I not rinse it with water so often because I'm rinsing out the grease so scalp is producing more? But then it's so greasy I just look like I have perpetually wet hair! I do brush it once every day with a boar bristle brush (well, synthetic version I'm sure) which seems to help distribute the grease away from the scalp. Looking forward to having more "hair down" days, and less "wet hair" days. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Med-dark blond, straight with slight wave at ends, just below shoulder length, fine but lots of hair.

5 weeks. Hair feels softer, thicker, not as clean so far except on days I wash.

Every week, wash hair w/ baking soda and rinse w/ lemon juice on Day 1; Nothing on day 2; "wash" with water on days 3-7. Brush daily.

Baking soda 'poo and lemon juice rinse.

Not an issue so far.

1 Tbsp baking soda in ~ 1 cup water and ~1 Tbsp lemon juice in ~1cup water.

Once a week.

Not so far. Have read it won't make a difference once in a while.

Have only told my husband so far, he says my hair looks beautiful (on the days I've washed it :)), thicker, maybe a bit darker. I told one friend who seemed mostly uncomprehending and so the subject was quickly dropped. I am temporarily living in Korea and people here primp more than in the west I think.

Nope!
Thanks for posting!! I think maybe you could try not washing with water every day. I don't think your hair has transitioned/adjusted yet. I'd try rinsing with water every 2 or 3 days, and then using cool water instead of warm/hot water. You are probably stripping all of the oils when you rinse with hot water, defeating the whole point of not 'pooing (ie: to allow your hair to adjust and to make less oil).

good luck!

#19 ·
Well,

I have been poo-free for 2+ weeks...still waiting for my hair to adjust...

I used to wash every day, and have very oily hair otherwise. So maybe that is why I am having a harder time with oily hair. I have tried not-washing a few days here and there, but it does get unhappy ie: greasy. I have been using ~1/2 tsp baking soda in 12 ounces water, and then 1 tbls 2 cups water for a rinse. When I haven't washed, I just hot-water wash and then use the ACV on the ends of my hair.

So, when I wash with the BS, I feel like it looks pretty good. When I don't...greasy :/ Any support/feedback on this I would love. Ever since I heard of no poo I have really wanted to do it, I have *known* in my heart that shampoo and all that was not good for me/not working for me for a long time. But the greasiness makes me sad.

I have very, very, very long straight thick hair. As in, I am tall and my hair is almost to my waist.

I also work out a lot and get very sweaty. I have found the BS and ACV was work fine with this. not as convinced when I just do the ACV. thinking the sweat makes the oil more mobile. ;)

To further complicate matters, I have a pretty 'professional' and conventional part time job (that I love). My visual presentation counts for a lot there. Makes me a bit nervous if my hair doesn't look clean/looks to greasy. So far, no one has said anything...

And-my little profile pic showing here is me at 10+ days no poo. But I think I have sunglasses on my head.

#20 ·
I have been poo-free for almost 2 months now and I have just recently started to get a balance to how oily my hair is. Once a week (sometimes twice if it feels dirty) I use 1 tbsp Baking Soda per 8 oz water , then rinse only the ends with 1 tbsp ACV to 8 oz water. My hair is fairly long so I have to double up on my recipe. I keep a baby food jar of baking soda in my bathroom cabinet and an empty peanut-butter jar with a line marked on it where to fill water to. This makes measuring easy. I put the ACV mixture in an old shampoo bottle to rinse with and keep that in the shower. I apply these to dry hair, so I know I have covered all of it. I started using the tip from Christina above, where you apply cocoa to dark hair when oily so I also do that and that has been a life-saver several times. It makes a mess of my sink but I like using it, it works well to absorb oil and it smells great (it evens sort of lightens the hair like highlights as an added touch, if you apply it right). I really enjoy being no-poo and people don't tease me about it when I say anything. My family thinks I am a bit extreme sometimes with the natural stuff anyway, so they aren't surprised.

About the lady who is worried about follicle damage: there are no-poo people out there who have done this for years without issues. People have only been using chemical shampoos for less than 100 years. What about all the people before that? People tend to get out of touch with nature once they have lived as domesticated humans in developed society for so long.

treehugger.gif

#21 ·
I've been no-poo for about 8 months now. I make my own shampoo with baking soda and water - 1 tablespoon baking soda to 1 cup water. I make my own conditioner from Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar - same ratio as the shampoo. It works wonders! My hair has never been happier and healthier. Best part is it's green and super cheap.

#22 ·
What an interesting thread! I remember when I first heard of no poo and was always on the internet reading about people's experiences.

Thin and fine dark brown hair.

I've experimented with no poo for 2 years on and off. I didn't like how my hair was in the early months, and would occasionally use shampoo once every couple of months or so. I also started stretching out washes (used to shampoo daily). I've been poo free about 6 months now, and satisfied with my hair.

I wash my hair 2-3x per week, using water-only, vinegar rinse, or tea rinse. I comb with a wide-tooth wooden comb.

White vinegar rinse, green or black tea rinse

I use vinegar when my scalp gets itchy. I'm still working on this one though. Would love to hear others' suggestions!!

I don't draw attention to it. Most people don't realize I don't use shampoo. In the early months, I got comments about my hair's greasiness.

#23 ·
I'm about 2 1/2 weeks into no poo. I have shoulder length, pretty thick, curly/wavy/frizzy hair. I am hoping to get rid of the frizz as I gradually quit coloring/highlighting my hair to cover the grey.

The first week or so I did baking soda/ACV every other day. The top layer is still frizzy and my hair is HUGE. (I have always had "big hair". No perm needed in the 80's, LOL)

The under layers are waxy and coated feeling. I haven't used anything but ACV on the ends in a week or so, but thinking I might need to do baking soda today. I just don't want to do it too much and make the transition to just water take forever. I'd rather just wear a hat!

I have a hair cut/color scheduled in a few days, though and I might just wait it out and baking soda the day of, so as not to gross out my stylist. I'll just ask her not to shampoo.

What I'm not sure about is: does she need shampoo to get the color out?

Any no poo-ers get their hair colored? I want to wean off (get less and less color until I am all salt and pepper). I just don't want a stripe at the roots. I really don't want the chemicals and I wonder how the color will affect my no-poo. Anyone have any ideas about the frizzy top layer and the effect of color? I get highlight and a color put on with foil, so it really doesn't touch my scalp.

I am hoping next week will be the turning point and my hair will look FABULOUS! Just scared abut the coloring.

#24 ·
I'm on my second week of no-poo. I just stopped with the backing soda because the ends of my hair looked way better (with just the ACV) than the roots and front. They just looked flat and dull. My hair feels heavy, weighed down but I've been putting conditioner in it daily after washing and tomorrow I won't. My hair is curly/wavy, shoulder length, dark (colored but not necessary) fine but lots of it. I have to at least rinse daily to get it to look human... it's huge.... anyhow, I think the bs dries out my hair and I've used product and a straightener for a long time. I can tell you that when I stopped bs, i just blow dried my bangs straight and they stayed straight without the iron. My hair looks better, curly (I'm just accepting my head of curls - it's Me!!), like it did when I was in HS and big curly hair was in...

As far as reactions, I just moved to Holland and they are way behind us (in Colorado at least) as far as organic/natural. I've told two people and they just don't really get it that I don't use shampoo.

Please keep posting and abeliamama, I have the same with frizzy on top. This is better but still don't have my measurements right so keep posting how your transition goes.

I know this is going to be good. Just need to work out the details. Good luck and keep posting!

#25 ·
I'm just starting with the no poo. Normally I don't use products just shampoo and conditioner. I have long fine but lots of dark brown hair currently almost half way down my back. I washed my hair with baking soda and white vinegar the day before yesterday and today its still decent... not as clean but its not bad yet either. I may wash tonight though just so it doesn't bother me tomorrow. I'm really shocked and excited though that it seems to be working. My sis washed last night with her shampoo and my hair looks cleaner than hers... she's a little confused how that's possible LOL

#26 ·
Hi all, glad to see there is some interest in this thread!

My family is still going poo free (5 months now) and I'm still loving it.

My current routine is to rinse with water maybe 1 time per week, wash with ACV only 1 time per week, and wash with BS/ACB once every 2 weeks or so. Cutting the BS down to every 2 weeks while still doing ACV every 1 week seems to have elmimated the flakes. My DH, who has short, thinning hair, doesn't even use ACV or BS. He doesn't seem to need to, water does the trick. Same with DS, who is 23 months.

If I don't tell people, they'd never no I'm no poo. My hair always looks clean, it just feels a bit "thicker" but not greasy on the day or two before I am due to no poo. And, actually, I'd say it looks better because I have better volume and when I curl it now it actually holds a curl which is nice for a change!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.