Holy Coconut oil disaster! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went no 'poo about a month ago and I've been struggling with dry, flaky scalp.  I tend to be dry in general, and i work in a high rise, and it's super dry in the winter here so all these things are combining to mean I have nasty nasty flaking happening, and a bit of itchy-ness, which I just don't like for obvious reasons.  I read that doing a coconut oil treatment on the scalp can help, so I tried doing that tonight.  

Fast forward to trying to rinse the oil out without using shampoo....ummmm, not happening with water for obvious reasons.  I read on a "long hair" forum somewhere to use conditioner to rinse your hair.  I didn't really want to use a commercial product at all, but tried it anyway.  This also did NOT work.  Sooo, I resorted to shampoo, just on the hair, trying to avoid the scalp.  Ugh, not what I wanted to use but I didn't know how else to get the grease out!

For those that do some type of oil treatment, what do I need to do differently next time??

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 AM

i cant comment on the coconut but if your scalp is itchy and flakey use apple cider vinegar, it works wonders. Usually dandruff is caused by a yeast overgrowth.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.  I think it's dry scalp, as opposed to dandruff (I did some research on the difference, and dandruff it seems is very "over-diagnosed" due to the shampoo industry wanting you to buy their products).  I do use ACV (1tbsp per cup of water) when I rinse out the BS.  The coconut oil really seems to have done the trick as this week there are waaayyy fewer flakes.  I think I'm going to BS less as well, as I think it might be drying.

Hopefully some suggestions for the coconut oil come in as that did seem to do the trick!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 PM

BS will cut the oil.  It might take a few rinses to get it out, but it will do it. 

How much CO did you use?  Everything I've read suggests that you should be using a tiny little bit and massaging it into your scalp (for a scalp treatment), where the scalp and hair should be absorbing most (if not all) of it over a period of an hour or so.  But I believe you need to do it on dry hair. 

Now, for conditioning, you would use a tiny bit of CO and massage it into the ends of your hair, avoiding your scalp altogether.  This you can do on damp hair, but I still wouldn't do it in the shower.   

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM

I dont know if i technically have dandruff or a dry scalp but you could try an ACV soak rather then rinse, I use 50/50 with water and let it sit on my hair for a few minutes before rinsing out. It helps loads.

Good luck!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

BS will cut the oil.  It might take a few rinses to get it out, but it will do it. 

How much CO did you use?  Everything I've read suggests that you should be using a tiny little bit and massaging it into your scalp (for a scalp treatment), where the scalp and hair should be absorbing most (if not all) of it over a period of an hour or so.  But I believe you need to do it on dry hair. 

I didn't think I used very much, maybe a TBSP, but you might be right it really went further than I thought.  I tried to just get it on my scalp but I have long hair so this was hard.  Next time I'm thinking of using like a syringe to apply it right at the roots.  I did let it sit with a warm, damp towel on my head.  I think you may be right that I just used too much.  Also, maybe next time I'll do the CO right before I BS.  Good tips, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post

I dont know if i technically have dandruff or a dry scalp but you could try an ACV soak rather then rinse, I use 50/50 with water and let it sit on my hair for a few minutes before rinsing out. It helps loads.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will try this.  Last time I no 'pood I left the ACV in for a few mins, but it was still the ratio of just 1tbsp to 1cup of water, so I will try upping the ratio next time.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 AM

Yeah, a Tbsp is WAY too much.  CO goes a really long way.  Try this - dip your finger into the CO jar, scoop out a tiny bit on the tip of your finger, and then rub it on the back of your hand.  Keep rubbing until it's all gone off your finger - see how far it goes, how much area you were able to cover.  That'll give you a better idea of how much you need. 

For just a scalp treatment, I'd be shooting for something like a quarter teaspoon to start with.  You can always add more if necessary, but you can't really take it away. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 AM

The first time I used CO on my hair, I used like, FIVE TABLESPOONS. ROTFLMAO.gifThat took weeks and a commercial shampoo to take out. (BS was working, but it was taking so long, I was tired of looking greasy and dirty.)

Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who has made a CO mistake!

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBombMama View Post

The first time I used CO on my hair, I used like, FIVE TABLESPOONS. ROTFLMAO.gifThat took weeks and a commercial shampoo to take out. (BS was working, but it was taking so long, I was tired of looking greasy and dirty.)

Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who has made a CO mistake!

Whoa!  I can only imagine!!!  I did another CO treatment this weekend and used maybe a teaspoon (and had lots left over).  I couldn't believe how far it stretches!!  So this one went MUCH better.  I just applied it at the roots, massaged my scalp really well, brushed it through my hair and let the whole lot sit on my head for a couple of hours before no-pooing.  MUCH better results! lol.

Tags
Natural Body Care
User Tag List