Considering Glad Rags and the Diva cup. New to using reusuable menstrual products. Help :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to using cloth menstrual pads and/or the diva cup. I think my period may be soon returning and I'd really like to refrain from using disposable pads and tampons. The only problem is that I'm at a loss for which reusable products are the best. I would love some suggestions and resources! :) Also, is normal machine washing recommended? And what do you do with the glad rags while you're out and about and need to change them...or at home when it's not time to wash them yet?

Tell me everything. I'm a novice. TIA! :)

#2 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 PM

No answers here but in the same boat and looking for answers too smile.gif

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

#3 of 22 Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Most of the time I just use my Diva cup and have no problems with it. I love it in part because it means I don't have to take things with me when I am out and about! I also have some Luna Pads and have been happy with those. You can purchase a little pouch (your choice of fabrics) for carrying extras with you. There is one compartment for clean pads, another for used ones.

There are three in our household who use them. We keep a lidded container in the bathroom with some water and a little soap in it. Everything goes in there and just gets added to the regular wash. It isn't nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be. We each have our own colour of Luna Pad so everyone has their own stash.

#4 of 22 Old 04-07-2012, 05:32 AM

I mostly use the Keeper (I've had it now for over 10 years, that thing can last!).  Once I really got used to it I found it much more comfortable than pads.  On heavy days if I need something extra I'll use a cloth pad as a liner.  I used to soak them in water or water and a little soap or baking soda and change the water each day until laundry day when I used them more frequently, but now I just rinse them and throw them into the laundry bin with the towels especially if I'm doing laundry soon.  Most months I only use the Keeper now though.  

#5 of 22 Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Well, I can speak to this from the GladRags point of view :)

When you're out and about, you can use a carry bag (we have a lot of options on our site) that has a separate pocket for wet and dry pads. Just tuck it in your purse/backpack and you're good to go!

We recommend normal machine washing in cold water with a natural detergent -- no bleach or fabric softeners, please, as they're not great for your body, the planet, or your GladRags.

Personally, I keep a wet bag in my bathroom and drop used pads in there throughout my cycle. At the end of my cycle, I soak them in my bathtub for about an hour (longer if I forget about them! innocent.gif) with some presoak to help get the stains out, then wash them in the machine with other stuff so I don't have to do an extra load.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have, but didn't want to monopolize this conversation :)

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#6 of 22 Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

The pads we have are purple, red and black so staining isn't an issue. My daughters love using cloth but I know that stains would bring a quick end to that!

#7 of 22 Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM

i love my cloth, i carry a wetbag when I am out and about which makes changing easy. I also have a wet bag in the bathroom to throw my rinsed out used pads in. I do have luna cups as well, which I use for swimming/diving, they are comfy and fairly easy to use, there is a bit of a learning curve but they are easy once you get used to it! Id recommend getting both, they are both very handy and you may find you want one or the other at different times.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#8 of 22 Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Diva Cup, but it helps if you have the right set up for it. I find that it's MUCH easier to deal with if you have a sink right next to your toilet. It's certainly possible to clean it out without a sink right there, but I definitely prefer that. There's a bit of a learning curve on using a cup, but once you figure it out it's super easy, and there's no laundry to do.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#9 of 22 Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post

I mostly use the Keeper (I've had it now for over 10 years, that thing can last!).  Once I really got used to it I found it much more comfortable than pads.  On heavy days if I need something extra I'll use a cloth pad as a liner.  I used to soak them in water or water and a little soap or baking soda and change the water each day until laundry day when I used them more frequently, but now I just rinse them and throw them into the laundry bin with the towels especially if I'm doing laundry soon.  Most months I only use the Keeper now though.  

Can you expand on what you mean by used to it? I just received my keeper moon cup and tried using it with no success. I could not get it in! My cycle ended the day before it arrived, so maybe things close up a bit down there once the cycle ends. I've given birth to one child and prior to being pregnant used small tampons on rare occassions. I had no idea there were other options. Anyway, I'm really disappointed it didn't seem to fit. I bought the size A and tried inserting it by folding it, as the instructions suggest and I also tried pressing a portion of the cup down into itself but then it popped open before I had entirely inserted it and OUCH....child birth flashback. I've seen suggested tutorials online, but I feel like it may be better to try again once I'm actually on my period. 

Thoughts or suggestions?

#10 of 22 Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyGladRags View Post

Well, I can speak to this from the GladRags point of view :)

When you're out and about, you can use a carry bag (we have a lot of options on our site) that has a separate pocket for wet and dry pads. Just tuck it in your purse/backpack and you're good to go!

We recommend normal machine washing in cold water with a natural detergent -- no bleach or fabric softeners, please, as they're not great for your body, the planet, or your GladRags.

Personally, I keep a wet bag in my bathroom and drop used pads in there throughout my cycle. At the end of my cycle, I soak them in my bathtub for about an hour (longer if I forget about them! innocent.gif) with some presoak to help get the stains out, then wash them in the machine with other stuff so I don't have to do an extra load.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have, but didn't want to monopolize this conversation :)

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I just received my package of three glad rags a couple days ago. I think they look great. For the first time ever, I'm actually somewhat looking forward to my next cycle just so I can use them! Now, I need to get a wet bag. :) Regarding the keeper moon cup, as already mentioned in my previous post, I'm having a difficult time inserting it; it's like it's too big. I have given birth to one child and have only used the smallest tampons prior to pregnancy. 

#11 of 22 Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 PM

I'm hugely bummed out in this area right now. I have vaginismus (and I'm still bleeding PP) so I can't use a cup of any sort. But when I use cloth pads (I tried years ago) they stink! I feel like everyone can smell me. Now I'm so dirt poor that I can't afford to buy new ones! Is the smell normal? 

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#12 of 22 Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM

No, it's not normal for cloth pads to smell.  I would think that means that the pads are not clean.  I always use cloth pads (the gladrags ones :) ) and have never had any problem with them smelling...except for one time when I put them to soak in a bucket overnight and the bucket was apparently in need of a scrub, ick.  They stank a bit when I went to wash them the next morning.  I put them in new water with some bleach for a little bit of time and they were fine after washing.  Having worked in a microbiology lab...10% bleach will kill just about anything, and a lot lower % bleach than that will take care of anything icky on your cloth pads.

I know TracyGladRags said not to use bleach, but you can do it, and if the pads smell, I would bleach 'em.  (Don't get mad, TracyGladRags/lil sis!)

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#13 of 22 Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 PM

I have actually never used a cup (I like the cloth pads), but I will get TracyGladRags to answer you!  She is the expert and if she can't help you, no one can. :)

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#14 of 22 Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Well, I noticed that the very first time I used them. I always laundered them according to the directions, and always had the same problem. I have a really, really heavy flow, so maybe that made a difference? I always changed them frequently. Once my cycle returns, I really would like to use them again! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choose2Reuse View Post

No, it's not normal for cloth pads to smell.  I would think that means that the pads are not clean.  I always use cloth pads (the gladrags ones :) ) and have never had any problem with them smelling...except for one time when I put them to soak in a bucket overnight and the bucket was apparently in need of a scrub, ick.  They stank a bit when I went to wash them the next morning.  I put them in new water with some bleach for a little bit of time and they were fine after washing.  Having worked in a microbiology lab...10% bleach will kill just about anything, and a lot lower % bleach than that will take care of anything icky on your cloth pads.

I know TracyGladRags said not to use bleach, but you can do it, and if the pads smell, I would bleach 'em.  (Don't get mad, TracyGladRags/lil sis!)

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#15 of 22 Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel1288 View Post

Can you expand on what you mean by used to it? I just received my keeper moon cup and tried using it with no success. I could not get it in! My cycle ended the day before it arrived, so maybe things close up a bit down there once the cycle ends. I've given birth to one child and prior to being pregnant used small tampons on rare occassions. I had no idea there were other options. Anyway, I'm really disappointed it didn't seem to fit. I bought the size A and tried inserting it by folding it, as the instructions suggest and I also tried pressing a portion of the cup down into itself but then it popped open before I had entirely inserted it and OUCH....child birth flashback. I've seen suggested tutorials online, but I feel like it may be better to try again once I'm actually on my period. 

Thoughts or suggestions?

Can you explain the kind of pain you felt? If it was just the cup popping open and "snapping" you, I'd definitely try again -- just make sure to have a really solid grip on the cup when you insert it! If the pain was more like pressure, it may be too big or too firm for your body. And if the pain felt sharp (or if you feel pain when inserting anything), you'll definitely want to see a gyno to get checked out to make sure there's no underlying issues. If you'd rather talk about it privately, feel free to send me a private message and I can help you out! Or give us (GladRags) a call at 800-799-4523 and we can chat about it -- and don't be shy, we talk about this stuff all day long ;)

#16 of 22 Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post

I'm hugely bummed out in this area right now. I have vaginismus (and I'm still bleeding PP) so I can't use a cup of any sort. But when I use cloth pads (I tried years ago) they stink! I feel like everyone can smell me. Now I'm so dirt poor that I can't afford to buy new ones! Is the smell normal? 

What kind of cloth pads are you using? Make sure there's no plastic or water-resistant backing on them -- those materials can trap in moisture and lead to odor. You can also use tea tree oil when you're washing the pads, as it's super antiseptic and can help keep odors at bay. And depending on what the odor is like, you may want to make sure there's nothing going on and check in with your doc.

#17 of 22 Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Thoughts or suggestions?

It may be that you didn't have enough natural lubrication in there since you didn't have your period anymore.  It was uncomfortable for me as I learned how to use it the first few months, but it doesn't hurt at all every since then.  On the first day of your period you will be a bit looser and obviously much more moist so it will be easier to insert. 

Make sure you're folding it in on itself, by pushing one of the sides in all the way to the other side.  Squat down and insert it and try to keep your finger holding it closed so it doesn't open until it's all the way in. 

I would NOT try when you don't have your period.  That sounds painful!

#18 of 22 Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM

My sister loves her Diva cup, but I have yet to use one myself because my periods are very heavy and I would be nervous going out and about with only a little cup *in there*. Several months ago I found this cloth pad tutorial: http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organiccotton/clothpads.html  so I went out and bought a black terrycloth towel and sewed me 6 of them out of it. I hammered some snaps on the wings and they work great. The terrycloth helps with having heavy periods and the black color doesn't show stains.

novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   homebirth.jpg    lady.gif of 4:bikenew.gif5 yr    blahblah.gif    4 yr   sleepytime.gif   2 yr   baby.gif  2 mo
#19 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinsuzy View Post

My sister loves her Diva cup, but I have yet to use one myself because my periods are very heavy and I would be nervous going out and about with only a little cup *in there*. Several months ago I found this cloth pad tutorial: http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organiccotton/clothpads.html  so I went out and bought a black terrycloth towel and sewed me 6 of them out of it. I hammered some snaps on the wings and they work great. The terrycloth helps with having heavy periods and the black color doesn't show stains.

That's awesome! Using a cup can be a little scary at first, and I definitely recommend trying it at home the first time so you don't have to worry so much. Cloth pads like the ones you made are perfect for back-up for a menstrual cup when you need that extra assurance, though!

#20 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post

It may be that you didn't have enough natural lubrication in there since you didn't have your period anymore.  It was uncomfortable for me as I learned how to use it the first few months, but it doesn't hurt at all every since then.  On the first day of your period you will be a bit looser and obviously much more moist so it will be easier to insert. 

Make sure you're folding it in on itself, by pushing one of the sides in all the way to the other side.  Squat down and insert it and try to keep your finger holding it closed so it doesn't open until it's all the way in. 

I would NOT try when you don't have your period.  That sounds painful!

Okay, I guess I'll give it another go once I'm actually on my cycle. It was painful. Eep. I guess I was a little excited to use something different and safer than disposable products.

#21 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyGladRags View Post

What kind of cloth pads are you using? Make sure there's no plastic or water-resistant backing on them -- those materials can trap in moisture and lead to odor. You can also use tea tree oil when you're washing the pads, as it's super antiseptic and can help keep odors at bay. And depending on what the odor is like, you may want to make sure there's nothing going on and check in with your doc.

I bought some Glad Rags and haven't experienced any odors. I'd try them again, as they're so much more comfortable than disposables. I'm a convert. I'll never go back to using disposables, ever!

#22 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I bought some Glad Rags and haven't experienced any odors. I'd try them again, as they're so much more comfortable than disposables. I'm a convert. I'll never go back to using disposables, ever!

YAY! This is what I love to hear joy.gif

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page