Shampoo & Conditioner for fine hair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I no-pooed for maybe 6 months a while back and found that it worked OK when my thin, babyfine hair was very short, but once it got longer it got too tangled without conditioner. I tried Wen and it's too greasy for my hair. I've been back on non-natural shampoos and conditioners but would like to get away from all the chemicals. Any recommendations? I found a thread recommending Organix weightless mousse for fine hair, but I can't figure out which of their shampoos is right for me.

What do y'all use? Oh, my hair is hennaed, if that makes any difference.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 PM

I have very fine hair and can't get away with no-poo either.  The thing that works best for me is a combined shampoo/conditioner.  Actually, the thing that works the absolute best is Dabur Vatika shampoo/conditioner (the conditioner is amla (Indian gooseberry) and shikakai and henna)...I'm pretty sure that's got some chemicals in it, but it's nice stuff.  It's in a lot of Indian grocery stores.

If you find something organicy that works great for you, let me know!  I wanna know what it is too!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#3 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 AM

I use and recommend Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil Hair Shampoo and Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil Hair Conditioner which are very good for the hair , restore damaged hair and provides color protection, leaves soft, light, silk and shiny; restore moisture to hair, protects against heat and chemical damage, safe for color-treated hair, conditions hair back to its natural health.

I you are interested you can check it out at safrons. com . :)

Good luck.. ^_^  Peace.gif

#4 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 AM

computergeek2.gif

#5 of 7 Old 06-08-2012, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I have fine hair and have been experimenting with no poo for 2 years on and off. When I first started, I started to stretch out washes, and slowly decreased the amount of shampoo I was using, also used Dabur Vatika mentioned by pp above, and then to conditioner-only. I would use regular shampoo once every couple of months or so when I got frustrated. I'm pretty much poo free now, and find shampoo much too harsh. I use a combination of water-only, vinegar rinses, and tea rinses when I do wash my hair (maybe 3x per week). My hair adjusted and stopped getting as oily as it used to. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#6 of 7 Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

But how do you detangle your hair without conditioner? I find that when my hair is wet, it quickly snarls together. Without condition to comb through it in the shower, I end up breaking so much hair trying to comb through it when I'm out.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post

But how do you detangle your hair without conditioner? I find that when my hair is wet, it quickly snarls together. Without condition to comb through it in the shower, I end up breaking so much hair trying to comb through it when I'm out.

I use a wide tooth wooden comb or my fingers. I find that works well for detangling and does the least damage. My hair is straight and doesn't get very tangled up if I comb it daily when I wake up and after washing. 

Otherwise, there's always the conditioner-only washing method. Conditioner is less harsh on the hair than shampoo. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page