Sleeping with dreads... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-16-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dreads are 2.5 months old. Just starting to dread up now that I have stopped waxing... They are frizzy at the roots but definitely tightening up. I just hand roll them daily and try to tolerate the frizz! I am just curious how people sleep with their dreads. I have been sleeping with them up I a bandanna "Aunt Jamima" style. I thought it would control the frizz but not sure it even matters. If they are damp from the shower I sleep with them free and it feels so good! Better for my scalp I think! Any ideas? Thanks ladies!

Sarah- wife to one handsome man, mama to three bouncing children and carrying #4!

hug2.gifwinner.jpgh20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifstork-girl.gifknit.gifhang.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Hi keylimecutie! I have no info to share but wanted to post to bump your thread up for attention. Maybe someone else will have some experience to offer. smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 AM

Well first of all NO WAX! Never wax! It never comes out and will stay in your dreads on the inside and mold/mildew. Yucky. I would check out the dreadlockssite.com and check out the section on maintenance. Also, you really don't need to handroll either. Handrolling breaks hair and is just kind of a time waister because whatever you do comes undone the next wash. The best thing to do for your dreads is, separate, wash them every three days with ACV and baking soda, and let them be. I know it's hard. My dreads are about four months. You just need to learn to embrace the mess. They will tame eventually but only with patience. As for sleeping. I just let mine be free, but you can put a wool sweater on your pillow or put them in a tam and that is suppose to help them naught faster. If you ever feel the need to tame frizz, the best way is to buy an aloe plant. Use the aloe to tame frizz. It's rather sticky like gel almost and works great. It comes out when you wash, and nourishes your hair. Hope this helps. Good luck on your dread journey. :)

#4 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 09:23 AM

I just dreaded my hair! Way crazier than I thought it was going to be but I like 'em. Of course, this is day 2. I'm trying to figure out a care plan. Seems everyone has their own ideas about care. I wonder if maybe it depends on your scalp preference as well. I was advised to use shampoo and wash as frequently as I needed to. Pre-dreads, I washed once  a week with baking soda and that was about all my scalp could take. Also palm rolling was advised to "shape" the dreads. 

Also, I need a new bike helmet. Anybody have advice on that?

#5 of 5 Old 08-13-2012, 11:40 PM

I just wanted to comment.  Yay Mama-locks....aaahhhh, I am really wanting to do dreads again!!!!!

joy.gif

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page