Prep for Postpartum.. cloth pads? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I decided to try CDs for my new LO and stumbled upon cloth pads when trying to figure out what to do with the scraps. I've been experimenting with my CDs and have no clue what's gonna work, but when it comes to trying cloth pads I am pretty stumped as well! I made 2 so far. The first was an absolute disaster. The second I tried a basic tut I found http://naturalsuburbia.blogspot.com/2011/07/cloth-pad-tutorial.html   but changed the size and layers since it's for postpartum. I tried it on today and I think it might be a little small still...

What would you guys suggest for dimensions on a postpartum pad? Also what kind of layering? I'm using flannel, 2 fleece, PUL, flannel. and then 2 flannel for the wings. I believe it's 11 in long. I was thinking about maybe going longer and I think I should make it wider in the middle (the absorbant part is only about 2 or 3 in). I plan on nursing and I know that can make a huge difference! Any input would be SO appreciated!

#2 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 AM

Here's another tutorial you might find handy... this one has them a little bit longer:

http://countyclothcreations.blogspot.com/2009/01/do-it-yourself-postpartum-pad-tutorial.html

I think you're fine using the fabric that you have, but if you want to really increase absorbancy, maybe get some bamboo?

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Verybaby.com has a pattern for $6.50 that I am using to make mine. It actually has two patterns, one for immediate pp and one for heavy/overnights. The first one you make a waterprof shell with pul and then absorbant pads to lay one top out of whatever material you want. I am using flannel. Also has a little pocket in the shell for holding an ice pack. Baby is due any time now so we will see how they work.

Also just plain infant prefolds work really great for pp.

#4 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 PM

I actually had not tried making my own.  I bought the Fuzzibunz ones first.  Recently I bought 2 WAHM brand ones just to see how they were made.  I could probably use those as a template to make more but since I had my Mirena inserted about 6 months ago, my period has gotten to be almost non-existent.  So I don't really think I need to grow my stash until I decide to remove the Mirena.  The WHAM mom ones I got were made entirely out of flannel.  I think about 6 layers total in the middle with 2 for the wings.  I'm a very light bleeder even when I have a regular period so I don't think I would need more than that.  Something I noticed about the homemade ones is she used black on the top layer....hides the stains.

#5 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM

I use the infant CD prefolds that my kids out-grew.  They are just the right size.  I cut down some of the infant-size covers, but haven't finished sewing them into a good shell yet. 

#6 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 PM

I used the pattern from VeryBaby.com mentioned before. It was GREAT! What I love most about the pattern is it has a way to make a pocket for a ice/hot pack to help soothe what will be swollen and sore. I thought it was definitely big enough (at first glance, I thought it was HUGE)

#7 of 11 Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

The babymoon.com pattern looks nice. Is that elastic in the sides? I hadn't considered using elastic in mine..

#8 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 09:50 PM

I didn't make my own cloth pads for postpartum (I used GladRags) but I can tell you what worked for me...at first I used the really large overnight ones, then gradually as the blood flow dwindled I went to regular pads, then pantiliners.  You could look at the GladRags dimensions to see what they are--they worked really really well for me.

The GladRags are all flannel.  I wouldn't use PUL--I know it's waterproof, but that stuff isn't breathable, and it starts to trap smells after a while.  Really, it's better just to change the pads a little more often.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#9 of 11 Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

I think I might just use disposables for the first couple weeks and then switch to cloth. Since I'm so new to this whole cloth business it just seems easier, but I am looking forward to trying everything out when the time comes! Plus I will be nursing and I have no idea how much cloth I would need should something happen because of that! I know that nursing can cause quite the mess down there at times..

#10 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 PM

I used the disposables from the hospital for the first couple days, then switched to cloth...it was fine.

As far as nursing...I had one enormous sploosh of blood a couple weeks postpartum.  It was like someone had been murdered in my kitchen.  No pad, whether cloth or sposie, would have been able to sop up that amount of blood that quickly.  :)  I wouldn't worry about the splooshes if I were you...just accept that you might have to mop an extra time or two, and other than that it'll just be like a heavy period after the first couple of days.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#11 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choose2Reuse View Post

I used the disposables from the hospital for the first couple days, then switched to cloth...it was fine.

As far as nursing...I had one enormous sploosh of blood a couple weeks postpartum.  It was like someone had been murdered in my kitchen.  No pad, whether cloth or sposie, would have been able to sop up that amount of blood that quickly.  :)  I wouldn't worry about the splooshes if I were you...just accept that you might have to mop an extra time or two, and other than that it'll just be like a heavy period after the first couple of days.

The healing process of postpartum is definately the thing I missed the LEAST! nono02.gif

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page