Magnesium oil for acne? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone tried this with success?

I have closed comedonal acne (age 37) and it's getting worse and worse.  I even went on retin-A.  Nothing works.!  I'm on a whole foods, largely organic diet.  No milk, red meat, caffeine, alcohol or sugar.  There has to be something to help me, but I'm tired of spending money on things that don't work!

Thanks in advance.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#2 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Sounds like you need to detox. Have you tried consulting a holistic practitioner experienced with detox methods?

#3 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

No, and I don't have the money to see one. The naturopath is $350 just for the initial appointment! Is there a detox method you would recommend? Thanks.

#4 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My acupuncturist swears by the Lemonade Diet for detox. Use organic lemons, raw honey or grade B maple syrup, and a bit of cayenne (don't know if you can find organic spices, or if it's that important to you....). It's inexpensive, and you can do it for up to a week. I did it for 5 days and it got me on my way, but it did take a long time to get rid of the skin issues. You might also want to try getting wheat/grains out of your diet. It helps me lose weight and clears my skin up, but I'm not sure if it's the wheat, the gluten, or grains in general that is what actually works for me... All I know is, my skin looks great when I eat only fruits, veggies, nuts/beans/seeds and no dairy or grains and little meat. But when I do that, I also find myself drinking a lot more (and I only drink water or herbal tea) so it could just be better hydration too.

#5 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

So funny... my friend just recommended the lemonade diet.  I'm totally interested... but how did you go 5 days on it??  I have a high metabolism.  Would I waste away?  :)

But I am going to try it.  I am already wheat-free (my son is on the spectrum diet and it's just easier to eat what he eats) but I do other grains.  Maybe I should eliminate all of them. 

Sometimes it seems so unfair that my diet is so restricted and my skin is still a mess, and I see people eating greasy hamburgers and candy and their skin is beautiful.  sigh.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

#6 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 PM

No, you won't waste away! In fact, I don't recall actually losing any weight on it. I know people use it to lose weight, but I was just detoxing my system. I am a HUGE eater and I never thought I'd last more than a day or two. You can drink as much water and "lemonade" as you want, so whenever you feel hungry, just drink some more. There is also a salt water component to it that is for colon cleansing the first day or so -- IDK how much you want to do, but it's restrictive, to say the least! That pretty much killed my desire to eat so the first two days were pretty easy. ;-)

And yeah, I have the same issue -- I have worse skin and a better diet than most people I know. It's just not fair!

#7 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

ok, you're getting me psyched to try this!! Thank you so much. I hope it works. I am going on a 10th anniversary trip in 2 months and I don't want to look like this. Fingers crossed!!

#8 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 02:44 PM

I'm rooting for you! The best way I've found to keep myself REALLY hydrated (which makes my skin glow) is to drink a huge glass of water in the morning before breakfast, and then another afterwards, before I leave the house. Then, I drink a huge glass of water every time I pee. So by the end of the day, I have to pee every 20 minutes and by 5:00 I stop drinking quite so much so I can sleep at night, but it works. It's annoying to have to pee so much, but if you actually stick with it (and cut back a bit after a few days) you can stay hydrated and your bladder gets used to it so you don't go as much. Of course, I never stick to anything for long enough, so I'm constantly "restarting"....

#9 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I drink water but no where near that much, so I'm really going to up my intake tomorrow.

I also heard today that if you have comedomal acne (like myself) that you may have vitamin D deficiency (and need some sunshine.). Interesting. I burn, so I wear SPF and mostly stick to the shade. But this week I'm giving myself some limited sun exposure. I take a calcium supplment that has D in it, but perhaps that's not enough. Anyway, just something else for you to consider. smile.gif

THANKS for all the advice, you are awesome!!

#10 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 04:06 PM

I was going to write that it seems like you have cut out all the "known triggers," so maybe it is time to investigate what may be missing in your "diet" (food plan, lifestyle, whatever we are calling it these days...LOL).

Vitamin D3 is really amazing, so I hope that really helps you!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page