Natural makeup? (not mineral) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Hi all -

What is your favorite line of natural makeup?  

I'm not optimistic about finding exactly what I'm looking for, which is a natural liquid foundation withOUT SPF.  I love the idea of mineral makeup, but I don't want the SPF that comes along with it, and I also seem to be sensitive to something in mineral makeup (it makes my rosacea worse, even though it does cover it well).  

Price is not too much of an issue - I wear little enough makeup that I'll shell out for good stuff.  The last foundation I bought was $45, for reference.

Any advice on brands?  Or retailers that specialize in natural makeup?

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#2 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post

Hi all -

What is your favorite line of natural makeup?  

I'm not optimistic about finding exactly what I'm looking for, which is a natural liquid foundation withOUT SPF.  I love the idea of mineral makeup, but I don't want the SPF that comes along with it, and I also seem to be sensitive to something in mineral makeup (it makes my rosacea worse, even though it does cover it well).  

Price is not too much of an issue - I wear little enough makeup that I'll shell out for good stuff.  The last foundation I bought was $45, for reference.

Any advice on brands?  Or retailers that specialize in natural makeup?

Most natural makeups you find are going to be mineral, since that's what they use for natural color.  Is there a reason you don't want the SPF protection?  There are some mineral makeups that are free of a lot of the irritants. 

#3 of 9 Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Well, there are two reasons why I prefer no SPF - one is that it looks off in pictures (can make you look lighter and give you moonface), the other is that I am just not a fan of daily sun protection.  We only use sunscreen if we're going to be out in the sun all day long.  Since we changed the way we eat to a paleo diet we don't burn anymore anyway, and I'd rather get the vitamin D!

http://chriskresser.com/throw-away-the-sunscreen

http://everydaypaleo.com/2012/04/13/natural-sun-protection-from-the-inside-out/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-natural-ways-to-prevent-a-sunburn-and-sunscreens-not-one-of-them/#axzz21GuLyckn

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#4 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At one point, Bare Minerals offered a plain foundation powder - meaning no SPF. I don't know if they still do and I don't know if they are truly natural. I wear makeup rarely and just use infrequently enough that I don't mind. Besides, the mineral powders last forever. I am finally using up my two tiny trial sizes from two years ago!!! That's the foundation without SPF. I have several eye colors (from Bare Minerals and Glo Minerals, which I like better) and I doubt I'll ever run out of those...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Hmm, my understanding was the true mineral makeups have an SPF because the minerals actually reflect a certain amount of the light.  I know Mineral Fusion mineral makeup gives you about an SPF of 18, and they don't add anything besides the minerals they use for color to get that SPF.   That is the same reason for the SPF rating on Gabriel liquid foundation.

#6 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 PM

Hmmm... I don't have the original containers for these foundations to double-check my facts, but I also like to avoid SPF on a daily basis. I only wear it on beach days and pool days (when we'll be in the intense sun without a place to "hide" for a long time). I actively try to avoid it and I recall being relieved I could buy one type of the mineral foundations, but I could be remembering it incorrectly! It was two years ago and my DD was with me!!!! LOL (Adorable distraction that she is... ;) ) Perhaps it was a difference instead of how high the SPF is and I opted for the lowest one????

Either way, I am almost out and I need to start researching new foundation myself soon. I don't like the actual colors of Bare Minerals foundations on my skin. The tone is slightly off -- no matter what the salesgirls tell me in the store... I like Glo Minerals better in other makeup, so I guess I'll start there...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 10:58 PM

I like Everyday Minerals. It is mineral makeup but I don't believe it has any SPF.

You can get samples to try to see if maybe it would work for you.

I haven't found a liquid foundation that works for me yet.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#8 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM

I picked up 100% Pure liquid foundation at my local health food store and liked it a lot. No SPF although they do also have a tinted moisturizer in their line of products. It says it's fruit pigmented.
#9 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 AM

Hi there are so many natural face masks is there,i am talking about one of the best face mask.

Natural face masks to make and many of the ingredients like the ones I am about to suggest in the list below, are full of moisturizing essential fatty acids, repairing vitamins and nutrients. They can even soften wrinkles and firm ageing skin.

Some of the most readily available ingredients for natural face masks are:

Natural Facial Mask Bases:

• banana (acne bacteria retardant and moisturizing)
  • apple (astringent – acneic or oily skin masks)
  • yogurt (acneic skin masks and generally moisturising, also lightens skin a little)
  • cooked mashed carrot or pumpkin (vitamin c so repairing, an antioxidant for slowing ageing and brightens skin)
  • extra virgin coconut oil (does ALL sorts of amazing things for skin. Is a natural antimicrobial to kill bacteria, protects skin and very moisturizing)
  • avocado (moisturizing, helps to deliver nutrients from skin masks into the deeper layers of skin)
  • honey (anti-microbial, healing, soothing, regenerating and moisturizing making it a must have ingredient in homemade face masks)
  • egg and egg white (firming, moisturizing and egg whites give a temporary facelift type effect)
  • almond, jojoba, olive or other oils (moisturising – deliver moisture and nutrients deeper into skin)
  • red wine (anti-oxidant and firming)
  • oatmeal (ground oatmeal is great for itchy skin and has proteins that are good for skin)
  • fruits (high in alpha hydroxy acids so excellent repairing and exfoliating peel like qualities. Stimulates new cell growth & protects against free radials)
  • tropical fruits (also high in aha’s but also contain papain – an enzyme
  • nut meals (ground nuts are high in fatty acids and a good for homemade exfoliating masks)

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page