anybody have a Keeper menstrual cup? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if anyone else has one and knows how to use it properly...

I got one almost two years ago, used it two cycles before getting pregnant, and so here I am trying to figure it out again w/ my first pp cycle.  I trimmed the stem back when I was first using it, and maybe I trimmed it too much, because now it pokes me uncomfortably. It says not to trim it off completely, but I'm sure tempted to do so!

Also... when I used it before, sometimes it leaked... it wasn't too full.  I think it's because there are pin-sized holes around the perimeter of it near the top, and the leaks come through there.. ?  

How different is a Diva Cup?  Or any other brands?  I'd like to make this one work well for me if possible since I already own it!

Thanks for any tips you may have for me on this!

#2 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 PM

I trimmed the stem with my first one and regretted it - I ended up replacing it and now I tell folks not to trim! The leaking sounds to me like crooked insertion, bc those holes are for suction to keep the keeper in place.

I tried the diva cup and disliked it greatly compared to the keeper. It was too big and the stem too short for me. HTH!

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#3 of 7 Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM

I trimmed the stem once, then trimmed it totally off, which wasn't a problem for removing it for me, but it didn't solve the issue of it just being too long for me.  Then I read on a forum here about turning it inside out and it worked!  I can finally use it.  It does leak a little, has always leaked a little, but so do tampons for me.  I always use a small cloth pad as back-up on heavy flow days.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#4 of 7 Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, it doesn't seem that it's in crooked, and I think the suction is working... but it still leaks on heavier days.  Inside-out is a thought... I'll see if I can make that work.

#5 of 7 Old 08-02-2012, 02:01 PM

The leaking could be due to the cup not having popped back open completely after insertion -- can you feel around the edge to see if the rim is completely round? If it's squished in at all, it may leak. Also, you may need to reinsert it after having a very full bladder or a bowel movement, as these can push the cup out of place.

Where is the cup poking you? If it's poking near the labia, definitely trim it more. If it's poking internally, it's probably just a positioning issue. Make sure that you made a nice clean trim, and not a jagged cut and that can help.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions :)

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#6 of 7 Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM

agree with PP - if it's leaking it might not be popped out all the way, or it is not fully against the opening of your vagina. When I put mine in, i fold it, push it up and then spin it in order to pop it open. then i pull it down against my opening so it's suctioned right in there. mine doesn't leak, and i really only change it twice or three times a day. I have used it for years and love it. i also love that it can boiled. as far as trimming it, i did because it was too long, but only halfway. it doesn't poke me when i have it positioned right. hth!

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#7 of 7 Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Your signature doesnt say how many kids you have. When you got pregnant two months after using it, was that your first child? If you bought it before you ever had children, then you may need a new one. There are two different sizes of keepers, and this is the one you need if you've had kids:

I have had a diva cup and a keeper. Those little holes probably arent the reason for the leaking, as mine was often full to the top and not leaking. The diva cup is very similar, only its not latex and can be boiled. I prefer it because I think its a little softer.

I've always had to squat down to insert them correctly. If I tried to do it on the toilet, it just never felt right.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page