Natural Sunscreen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I have not used sunscreen yet on my 4 month old. I am allergic to sunscreen, even "natural" and "organic" ones, so I fear my child will have the same allergic reaction. I read that because the active ingredient in diaper rash cream is Zinc, it is just as good, if not better than actual sunscreen. I'm wondering if any other mommas have tried this as a sunscreen alternative? I read another article about how a study showed that Zinc Oxide *may* cause the deterrioration of skin cells when exposed to direct sunlight. This worried me a bit, but the study did not 100% gaurantee that zinc in fact caused this, as they had not ran more studies yet.

What types of natural sunscreens do you use on yourself & your baby?

#2 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 AM

For any age but especially under 6 months, I favor preventative measures like shade, lightweight clothing, UV-blocking umbrellas, etc. I don't think I would use diaper rash cream as sunblock, especially since anything you put on a baby's skin ends up in the mouth!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Hmm.  I am allergic to chemical sunscreens, but not the mineral ones.  I try to stay covered (with light cotton longsleeves, long skirts, etc.) but there are times when covering up isn't convenient.  I am also a pale redhead with lots of family history of skin cancer, so I can't just go au naturel, either.  I really hate how the mineral sunscreens leavde a chalky residue, too. 

I have read that some carrier oils can give limited sun protection, including sweet almond, avocado, jojoba, and sesame.  You could also ramp up your summer use of anti-oxidants to counter sun damage that IS done.

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM

I use Kukui oil-it is a natural Hawaiian oil with a limited SPF-but it smells great and I have never had a burnt baby-and we are in the sun a lot!  We also try to use natural preventative measures as described previously.  

#5 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Shea butter has some UV-blocking properties.  UVNatural is the brand I buy because it is oil-based, not water-based, and thus doesn't need preservatives.

Really, though, for my red-headed son, we basically keep Coolibar in business.  I much prefer UV clothing over sunbock, however natural it may be.

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page