Diva cup.. what are my chances of getting it right the first time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I bought a Diva cup over 2 years ago. I never got to actually use it. (I tried putting it in, that's about it). I got pregnant before I was able to use it for real. Fast forward to today... I'm 19 months postpartum and I think I'm going to get AF soon. ETA, right in the middle of my Hawaiian vacation. Should I bother trying to use it on the trip, or does this have disaster written all over it? What is your experience with the cup? Did you get it right the first time?

#2 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I didn't have a problem with it and the first time I used it was also with my first period post-partum. You can also practise at home before you leave for the trip - it isn't like using a tampon where you can only use it when you need it!

I would suggest rinsing it out (it always goes in easier when wet) and trying it out at home. The key is to be relaxed and to give it a twist or two once you get it in place. The twisting creates the suction that will keep it in place.

#3 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The diva cup took me about two minutes to figure out, about ten minutes to feel comfortable in, and that was that.  It's my favorite find!  I always get it wet before putting it in and use the "C" fold.  With the diva cup it's like I don't even have a period.  With the diva cup I rinse it out and stick it in when I first go to the bathroom in the AM, and then again when I have a shower in the evening (approx 12-14 hours later).  I LOVE it!  I've never had any problems with it.  I love not having icky pads or tampons to buy or deal with.  Tampons never worked for me (my flow was too unpredictable and OUCH when they have to be pulled out dry).

#4 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Well, I feel a little foolish because it seems like nobody else has had trouble, but the first time (and last) that I tried to use it, it got stuck and it took dh and I over three hours to get it out.  It was not romantic!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#5 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM

I personally use cloth pads but I am paging TracyGladRags to see if she has advice for you...she is the owner of GladRags and knows pretty much everything about reusable menstrual stuff. :)

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#6 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

For most women, "getting it wrong" just means having to make a lot of tries at inserting until it's comfortable, and the potential for leakage. My biggest tip for newbies is to relax and keep trying! If you're tense and thinking "oh my god, I need to get this cup to work right now, why isn't it working??" your muscles are going to tense up and make it extra difficult. The power of taking a few deep breaths and calming yourself down cannot be underestimated!

Also, I'd highly recommend using a pantyliner as backup at first, in case it does leak, and having back-up supplies in general just in case for some reason the cup isn't working for you.

You can also practice inserting the cup before your period, as Shantimama said. You'll want to moisten the rim with some water or water-based lube to help it be comfortable, but you can practice finding a comfortable position for the cup and feeling around the rim to make sure it's re-opened after you've inserted it.

Congrats on making the switch to a menstrual cup, and have an amazing trip!! biggrinbounce.gif

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#7 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM

One other point to add (since you bought it over 2 years ago) - if you bought a size 1, you would probably need a size 2 which is recommended for women who have given birth.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page