body hair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

now that i have a dd showing signs of puberty i have to think about the future of body hair. 

how to advice her.

what have you all chosen (for your dd or for yourself) that you prefer. 

eventually i guess dd will want to get rid of her body hair, so what is the best way to do so. 

shaving?

trimming? can you even trim leg hair

waxing

electrolysis

what else is there?

thoughts on why you prefer one over the other?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In all honesty, you shouldn't put too much thought into this. Maybe keep a spare razor in the bathroom and let her know it's there if she wants it, and make sure she knows how to use it safely. Things like waxing and Nair are too tricky for a young girl, IMO. No need to talk about drastic measures like electrolysis unless she develops an amount of hair that makes her uncomfortable.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#3 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My mom had a talk with me about body hair when I first started to get it. I was allowed to shave my legs when my leg hair poked through my pantyhose when we were getting ready for church. I was 10, and she showed me how to shave my legs properly. I proceeded to cut the crap out of my legs for the next 2-3 months.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 AM

Shouldn't this be her decision?  shrug.gif  Why not wait till she asks about it? Or maybe bring it up gently somehow and tell her you're happy to discuss options IF she wants to do anything about it.

#5 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

oh it is going to be her decision.

but when she does come and ask me for advice what should i tell her.

i really want to tell her forget it, dont do it. but that may not fly. 

i myself shaved when really i didnt need to shave. and eventually grew long curly hair on my legs. funnily enough i just did it below my knees so i have long curly hair below my knees and short hair on my thighs that you can barely see. 

if she is going to have v. slight hair why get rid of it. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

i myself shaved when really i didnt need to shave. and eventually grew long curly hair on my legs. funnily enough i just did it below my knees so i have long curly hair below my knees and short hair on my thighs that you can barely see. 

Most people have more/thicker hair below the knee than above the knee. Shaving does not cause your hair to grow back longer/thicker.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#7 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 AM

IF you want to send the message that she doesn't need to shave, DO say it - be an example of someone who doesn't too if that's you.  But don't expect it to happen - I much would have preferred not to shave, but didn't want to get made fun of as a teen for having hairy legs when nobody else did.  That said, my dad did make some statement once about how women shaving their legs was silly and it was a helpful influence later when I did stop shaving my legs.  

I don't think my mom ever talked to me about shaving - I bought my own razors for the first time when she was out of town because I didn't want to deal with it and her.  But I know she later on offered to buy my sisters electric razors to use earlier, at the age one might start shaving their legs (12/13-ish, sorta as a bigger or coming-of-age type birthday gift).  If you tend to have sensitive skin in the family, that might be a good option to start with or consider.  

#8 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM

I shave my underarms and legs with a razor. Dd (12) does not do any hair removal at this point.

We talked about how some women remove hair but some women don't. I tried to show her how to shave under her arms. She decided she didn't like it. I did tell her about some other options but she wasn't interested. The hair on her body doesn't bother her enough to remove it and she hasn't had negative comments about it. If she wants to explore hair removal again someday it is up to her.

I offered dd a razor because it is what I use. It is inexpensive, quick and quiet. It is easy to add to the regular bathing routine.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#9 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Most people have more/thicker hair below the knee than above the knee. Shaving does not cause your hair to grow back longer/thicker.

interesting. i didnt know that. 

but here is something i noticed that lead me to that belief.

i come from a gigantic family. lots of extended family.

many of my mom's generation shaved. not all. but the generation before her - no one shaved. my grandparents generation.

what has always fascinated me since childhood are the legs of these women. all those who shaved - they still have hair even in their 70s and 80s. colour might have changed but the hair on their legs are still there. however those who did not shave and my gparents generation - i never saw hair on the legs of the women above 60. meaning later in old age they had all lost hair on their legs (i cant remember if they lost it anywhere else). 

i guess that's what's made me think regular shaving keeps hair. 

mumkimum - yeah i no longer shave. havent for a few years. in fact dd has never seen me shave my legs -  coz i havent. 

i think she is the type of child who will seek my views on body hair. growing up myself - i just did it without seeking advice. 

#10 of 21 Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 PM

Interesting topic.

I didn't really talk to my girls about it much, just mentioned that some people like the way it looks & feels to be hairless under your arms and on your legs, and some don't mind hair. I shave, DD1 is 16 and she doesn't shave at all. DD2 is 14 and she does.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#11 of 21 Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

DD1 is 13 so am reading all replies with interest

she doesn't shave yet (that i know of or noticed)

i shave below the knee with a razor

we haven't discussed it yet ...

#12 of 21 Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:

i guess that's what's made me think regular shaving keeps hair. 

I can understand that, but the Rogaine folks would be out of business if shaving hair made it grow thicker/longer/for a longer period of time. orngbiggrin.gif

kathymuggle likes this.

#13 of 21 Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I can understand that, but the Rogaine folks would be out of business if shaving hair made it grow thicker/longer/for a longer period of time. orngbiggrin.gif

do women use rogaine?

i thought it was for balding men who were losing their hair orngbiggrin.gif

#14 of 21 Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:

do women use rogaine?

A lot of women find that their hair thins during menopause. If they already had thin/fine hair, it can be an issue.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#15 of 21 Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

A lot of women find that their hair thins during menopause. If they already had thin/fine hair, it can be an issue.

oye ve! that's me. never thought about using rogaine. oh the possibilities of growing old. 

#16 of 21 Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:

do women use rogaine?

It is. I just meant that if shaving hair caused it to grow back thicker, balding men would just shave their heads and let the thick hair grow in -- problem solved! wink1.gif

#17 of 21 Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'm going to move this to Natural Body Care.  Enjoy the ride!

#18 of 21 Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM

Don't all the girls wax- and I mean everything- these days?

Probably waiting for her bring up what she wants (what her friends are doing?) and then offering good options is the way to go.

A friend of mine who is a radical feminist just took her teenager to get her pubic hair waxed, despite it going against her personal beliefs, because she knew her daughter would do it behind her back anyway. She wanted to introduce her daughter to people who could do the job well and respectfully.

What I've been told: For someone with very light hair, waxing (anywhere) is great because it lasts a long time.

#19 of 21 Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Let me tell you how I wish my mom had handled these things. I am a very private person, I didn't want her knowing when or why I was shaving my legs. My mom was always violating my privacy and assuming things about me that weren't true (like if I was shaving it was because I felt bad about having hair or was getting with boys. Both false). This drove me to such a level of secrecy that she didn't even know I had gotten my period until two years after the fact.... Some kids won't ask their parents, they just want to handle it themselves.

Just let your daughter know that if she wants to shave her legs, there are razors and creme available in the cabinet. Tell her to rinse her razor and dry it after use so it doesn't become dull.

Don't ask her if she wants to shave, don't bother getting into why some people shave and others don't, just let her know it's available if she wants to. Learn more about the myths of shaving so that you can help her be better informed. Shaving is not capable of changing the way hair grows in (aside from ingrown hairs of course) or it's color, texture etc.

Shaving has to be hygenic, so be sure to talk with her sometimes about when people get ingrown hairs etc and how that is handled.

Keep Nair out of your house, that stuff is not very safe, especially for young people http://www.livestrong.com/article/80270-dangers-nair-hair-removal/

If she wants to wax at some point, I have always liked Nads. It's easy to use and kind of fun lol, she can do it herself no problem.

You can use a cheap beard trimmer to clip leg hair short, I do this so I'm not damaging my skin from too much shaving, but I wouldn't recommend it for a young person. The clippers are always loud and everyone else in the house will know what she's doing which some kids don't appreciate. Plus when she's got pubic hair if she goes after it with electric clippers she's going to maim herself. Catching a labia in those things is really painful :/

#20 of 21 Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora_skys View Post

Let me tell you how I wish my mom had handled these things. I am a very private person, I didn't want her knowing when or why I was shaving my legs. My mom was always violating my privacy and assuming things about me that weren't true (like if I was shaving it was because I felt bad about having hair or was getting with boys. Both false). This drove me to such a level of secrecy that she didn't even know I had gotten my period until two years after the fact.... Some kids won't ask their parents, they just want to handle it themselves.

Just let your daughter know that if she wants to shave her legs, there are razors and creme available in the cabinet. Tell her to rinse her razor and dry it after use so it doesn't become dull.

Don't ask her if she wants to shave, don't bother getting into why some people shave and others don't, just let her know it's available if she wants to. Learn more about the myths of shaving so that you can help her be better informed. Shaving is not capable of changing the way hair grows in (aside from ingrown hairs of course) or it's color, texture etc.

Shaving has to be hygenic, so be sure to talk with her sometimes about when people get ingrown hairs etc and how that is handled.

Keep Nair out of your house, that stuff is not very safe, especially for young people http://www.livestrong.com/article/80270-dangers-nair-hair-removal/

If she wants to wax at some point, I have always liked Nads. It's easy to use and kind of fun lol, she can do it herself no problem.

You can use a cheap beard trimmer to clip leg hair short, I do this so I'm not damaging my skin from too much shaving, but I wouldn't recommend it for a young person. The clippers are always loud and everyone else in the house will know what she's doing which some kids don't appreciate. Plus when she's got pubic hair if she goes after it with electric clippers she's going to maim herself. Catching a labia in those things is really painful :/

My mom did the same kind of stuff with me, made me so uncomfortable the whole time I was growing up. I agree with your approach. It was pretty much how I tried to handle things with my DDs.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#21 of 21 Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM

my mom doesn't shave (Ever) and genetically we don't have much body hair and hers is pretty light so it's invisible really.

When I started going through puberty (shock I know) all the kids are like giant magnifying lenses for anything different and they would jump like a pack of jackels. I got teased for being taller/bustier in grade school ("She stuffs!" meanwhile i was wearing 3 tshirts and a sweatshirt to hide the boobs) for having glasses, "dumbo ears" etc.

you can imagine what happened when the minute amount of leg hair grew in. I never wore shorts (I lived outside chicago, but even here in dallas I almost always wear jeans/pants) except for PE where we were required to. PE was a source of great anxiety for several reasons, the leg hair was not helping. I should mention I compared my skintone to an actual albino and I was swear-to-god paler! and I have hair that is the darkest brown it could be without being called black. So while I have almost nothing, it shows up pretty well with black hair against white white skin.

I wasn't allowed to shave my legs, dye my hair, or pierce my ears until I could do so legally (18) on my own basically.

my stepsister was 12 days younger and she kept buying/sneaking razors into the house and my mom would catch her, toss them, and punish her.

Suffice to say now I don't shave very often either (I do love a good waxing tho. just far too $$ imho for no audience! lol) basically once or twice a year when I wear a skirt really. Eh....

If I do wear shorts I generally wear my knee high skater socks. I wish i'd gotten ahold of some for PE class as a kid. hehehe....

I also still wear glasses and i've never done contacts, don't have my ears pierced but I have 5 tattoos, dye my hair it's natural color to cover my greys which have been cropping up since I was 13. Altho I'm (really frustrating!) trying to grow my hair out to donate and i'm SOOO close and it's driving me batty. once I cut my hair short again I plan on doing a neon streak in it.

I own probably 6 lipsticks and never wear makeup. the rare "dressy" occasion (job interview etc) I'll wear a lipstick.

Funnily enough, the things that made me stand out as a kid still do....but in a positive way now :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page