Cloth pads for early menstruation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

was curious if anyone uses cloth for their daughters who start early? I'd think the adult ones would be too big/bulky? 

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#2 of 21 Old 09-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I don't have personal experience with cloth pads for teens, but. I have seen cloth pads for teens such as these and these. Hope this helps! smile.gif

rebecca_n likes this.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 21 Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM

I didn't have cloth pads as a youngster, but when my DD starts menstruating I intend to start her with the "pantyliner" lightdays pads from GladRags.  They're pretty small and thin but still very absorbant--I remember that my period was pretty light at first, and the pantyliner pads can handle most days of my reasonably heavy adult period.

But as far as even the normal day pads being too big/bulky, I don't think I'd worry about it too much...I mean, I think most of us used adult sposie pads, right?  I sure did.  My cloth pads are way less bulky than the "super" sposie pads I used back then, and sooooo much more comfortable.  I feel like somehow cloth pads are not as much bulkier than sposie pads as cloth diapers are than sposie diapers...

However, I would make sure your kiddo has a wetbag and copious changes of pads, and also preferably a change of pants and underwear somewhere.  And possibly a private word with the teacher, if she's really young?  I remember having a terrible time getting time to go to the bathroom and being stupendously embarrassed about changing pads and even more embarrassed when they leaked and I had blood on my pants the whole day.  (But I was a pretty clueless kid, so don't necessarily go by me. :P)

rebecca_n likes this.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#4 of 21 Old 09-10-2012, 01:10 PM

When my teen started menstruating a few years back, I just let her use the the same cloth pads I'd been using all along.  I don't know what size they are, they are homemade (I made them back in the days when she was in cloth of another kind, LOL), but they are basically a pocket of flannel with wings which can hold as many flannel/terry inserts as needed, so they can be as thick or thin as needed.  She far prefers cloth to paper and plastic now, however, it can be difficult on heavier days at school or when she has a longer school day.  She's never had any accidents though.  She's recently asked me about a menstrual cup and we will be looking into letting her try one of those. 

intactlact.gif  Mum to five kids ages 16, 13, 9 and 4 years and baby K born 11/12!  And five angel babies angel1.gif
#5 of 21 Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Just wanted to pop in and give my two cents, too!

Our First Periods Kit is really popular, and we've gotten a lot of good feedback from moms about it. It also includes the book Passage: A Girl's Guide, which is pretty amazing. I wish I'd had it when I was young! You can find the First Periods Kit here: http://gladrags.com/product/234/First-Periods-Kit.html

As far as internal options, depending on the girl and her comfort level, I usually recommend trying Sea Sponge tampons first as they're a little softer and easier to use than a menstrual cup, and they're a good way to transition into internal stuff. Of course, whatever she's interested in trying is great, and if she knows you use a menstrual cup as well she may be more into the idea. The smaller size Lunette Cup is best for young women, FYI.

And I think it's awesome that you're starting your daughter off right :)

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#6 of 21 Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM

I have purchased Glad Rags... they are not a preference for myself... but I did give all I purchased to my teen daughter. I think they are a good choice for teens. I would suggest the day liner.

Have you tried to sew your own? smile.gif

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#7 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

false alarm on the early start but still keeping this all in mind. I did get a sewing machine but now I have to figure out how to use it :)

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#8 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca_n View Post

false alarm on the early start but still keeping this all in mind. I did get a sewing machine but now I have to figure out how to use it :)

I just sewed some pads last night (and I am NOT a sewer-person)..I used an older fleece blanket as the "stuffing".. I folded each piece so it made about 4 layers and then used a flannel piece for the back and cotton for the front...I just make mine square with square wings.....I'm not good with sewing anything round...shy.gif I used the hammer on snaps....a package is $2 at Wal-M't.

Also, Wally World now has some cotton squares for $.97..you can get 2 pads out of one of those, you can get flannel for the same price so you have 2 pads, front and backs.. some of my pads I used an old terry cloth towel as the stuffing.

:)

Let me know if you need moral support....lol.gif

Mine are not pretty...but they work...and they are sort of cute....

rebecca_n likes this.

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#9 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 06:00 PM

When I was around 13-15 I loved Glad Rags (Already mentioned) and Moon pads: http://shop.moonpads.com.au/

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#10 of 21 Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Interesting. 

I never used pads and just assumed I'd start my daughter with tampons.

~Debra

HeartNSoulLiving.com

#11 of 21 Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM

My daughter swims so she couldnt use pads and i started her on tampons from the start. Works well so far!

#12 of 21 Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Definitely not trying to be scary, but if you (or your daughter) use tampons, please know the facts about Toxic Shock Syndrome! This non-profit is a great resource: http://you-are-loved.org/

rebecca_n likes this.

#13 of 21 Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Just thought I would add my opinion... My daughter is 13, she started her cycle just after she turned 12. We started with some beautiful cloth pads and have never had a problem :-) I buy mine from the essence of eve on etsy, and I do get her to add a waterproof PUL layer just to lessen the chance of leaks. We ended up sharing and have quite a stash between us.

Goddess loving, natural living, peace keeping mama to four beautiful girls

#14 of 21 Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM

Dd just started hers today. She's been having a monthly increase in moisture so much that we picked her up some cloth pads about a year ago. She loves them and is SO excited to have a good reason to pick some more out now. lol We use Party In My Pants. Lots of cute designs, different types of cloth (including organic), more absorbent than but also much thinner than paper pads, and very long lasting. They have the waterproof layer, and fit around your underwear just like the paper pads with wings...but they use a snap to stay in place. They have some very small sizes to begin with, but you can have a second snap added to any of their designs, making it a super thin pad. Spritely is super petite, so that's great. She's about a size 12 in height, but a 6 or 7 (depending on brand) around. Skinny little thing! lol She says the pads just make it feel like she's wearing underwear made of slightly thicker cloth at first, and after a little bit she doesn't even notice them.

She wears the tiniest liners they have, and they are plenty absorbent for her heaviest flow (which I'd say is a solid "medium" to most adults). She wears the medium size pad as a night time pad, and it's perfect. lol

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#15 of 21 Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Thanks Tracy!  We definitely talked about TSS and changing often.  Unfortunately with swimming we both need something internal and she wasn't comfy thinking about a menstrual cup yet so the tampons had to suffice for now.

#16 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick39 View Post

Thanks Tracy!  We definitely talked about TSS and changing often.  Unfortunately with swimming we both need something internal and she wasn't comfy thinking about a menstrual cup yet so the tampons had to suffice for now.

Good! Just making sure she's aware of TSS (especially the symptoms) is super important.

#17 of 21 Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM

If you need a small menstrual cup I think MeLuna has a "mini" size. Theirs also has the option of regular or soft material which might be helpful.

I know Homestead Emporium http://hyenacart.com/stores/HomesteadEmporium/ has teen daughters and has some "tiny" pads available as well as short versions of regular pads. I have a few of hers and they are very nice. A little pricey but great quality and you're supporting a WAHM.

#18 of 21 Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM

My daughter has not started yet but I did buy her a Teen Stash from Luna Pads. I use them, they are super cute, come in short and long sizees which is very nice. There are tons of options out there it can be overwhelming. Luna Pads are more pricy but I know they are a very quality product and dont fall appart. I will say they are CUTE again. :)

#19 of 21 Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 AM

I've never tried a menstrual cup but the idea is kind of intriguing especially for heavy days!  Is that something a teen can use? Or need to be older?

#20 of 21 Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick39 View Post

I've never tried a menstrual cup but the idea is kind of intriguing especially for heavy days!  Is that something a teen can use? Or need to be older?

Yes, it's possible for a teenager to use a menstrual cup. Usually I recommend the smaller Lunette for teenagers. It does have a bit of a learning curve and requires being comfortable with your body, so it might not appeal to all teens -- but I definitely know some 16 year olds who love their menstrual cups!

#21 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM

my oldest daughter uses the adult pads with no problems.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8

Tags
Natural Body Care , Gladrags , Gladrags Cloth Pad Sampler Kit , Gladrags Organic Pads 3 Pack , Gladrags Color Pantyliner 3 Pack

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page