What can I do with old pillows? Recycling ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-19-2004, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought new pillows and I dont want to just throw these in the trash. I called the local humane society, but they didnt want them.....the dogs would just chew them they said

So thought Id check in to see if you guys had any recycling ideas for these old pillows. I dont think goodwill would take them either for health issues.

thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 04-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to say dog or cat bed but I guess you already have that one covered.

I put our old ones in our camp trailer, it seems that when we are tired we dont care how lumpy or flat the pillows are. :
#3 of 6 Old 04-19-2004, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I should have prefaced this with the fact that I just saw that Oprah show, where they were talking about dust mites living in your pillows, and how you should change pillows at least 3-5 yrs. So I kind of dont want them around. THey LOOK fine.......I just hate throwing things this big away, so they can sit in a landfill somewhere......
#4 of 6 Old 04-19-2004, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the humane society won't take them, but do you have any friends with dogs? I use our old pillows to make dog beds....just cover them with a homemade doggy pillow case.
#5 of 6 Old 04-19-2004, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We make new pillows by sewing an outer shell (use any kind of fabric--but new fabric rather than an old sheet or something, so that it won't need to be mended all the time--and then put it in a cover that's removable for washing) and stuffing them w/the stuffing from old pillows. Once you take it out and yank it apart into little bits (a fun job for kids!) it gets all fluffy again.

We are not concerned about dust mites, having never had any known problems related to them. If you're concerned, either put your pillows (old or new) in nonwoven covers to protect them, or put the old pillows in the dryer to kill the dust mites before you reuse the stuffing.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 04-19-2004, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Maybe Ill just make one big pillow to use for my own dogs in another part of the house.......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page