In my 30's and STILL have HORRIBLE skin. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SweetPea17

#1 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought after I hit the 30 mark, after I was done being pregnant and breastfeeding, that my hormones would stabilize and for the first time in my life, I'd have clear skin.

NOPE.

I still break out horrible about a week before my period and on a regular basis to a lesser degree all of the time. I always have at least 3 blemishes on my face. Its getting old. Really old. and Embarrassing. I have translucent olive skin, so the scarring is really dark and takes weeks to fade. I look horrible. 

I have a great diet, vegetarian, get plenty of exercise.

I just use water and a washcloth because EVERYTHING makes my skin peel and crack and I use a peroxide/witchhazel toner 2x a day. I use a (100%) mineral makeup foundation a few times a week.

I should add that I also use olive squalene very sparingly to moisturize and that most products cause me to have rosacea flares.

I am really at a loss. Any suggestions? ( I am open to non-natural body care ideas)

#2 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Where do you live?  Before I moved to the Caribbean, I had the same problem and I took a chance with a light from Verilux.  It is like a SAD lightbox, but with red & blue light waves (iirc).  Now, I make sure to get enough sun directly on my face and it is so much better.  If I don't get enough sun, it comes right back.  Like you, mine is hormonal- I originally went on ortho tri-cyclen 15 years ago for it.  I am 11 weeks post-partum right now and doing FAM instead so I am keeping careful watch on what is going on.  I have olive skin too (Italian).  I think maybe we just need more sun on darker skin types to keep it in balance. 

Actually, I don't need the lightbox anymore. If you are interested, let me know.

#3 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 AM

I use a nightly rinse of a few drops of oregano oil in a small cup of water. just mix and splash on or apply with a washcloth for your back, chest, or other hard to reach areas.

it smells kind of strange, but it works like a charm! make sure you wash with a GENTLE face wash before using, as harsh exfoliators create small abrasions in the skin that will sting when you use the oregano oil. also, be sure to moisturize!

oregano oil is a powerful antiseptic and has antibacterial properties which zap existing ache and help prevent new breakouts.

good luck!

#4 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 AM

So the pimples that take forever to heal sounds like rosacea to me. I have it and it takes a ridiculously long time for my face to heal. Currently, I am pretty in control of my rosacea by cutting out all alcohol, gluten and dairy. I also use metrogel 2 x a day. I still have flushing at times but much less of an out break. I'd suggest meeting with a good dermatologist.
#5 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 AM

I was in the same boat.  I've seen so many dermatologists, tried so many regimens/products (both natural and not), and spent so long being frustrated.  Eventually I found a dermatologist who was a god-send and helped me get it under control.  Everyone else just told me to try Accutane, but I was not open to that.  For me, part of the problem was that the things I used would dry out my skin and then the dry skin somehow got worse acne and then it was a terrible downward spiral.

After years (decades) of acne, this is the routine that has finally kept it down to a low roar.  It works great, but as soon as one thing falls out of line or gets neglected, the acne is back.

1. I very rarely touch my face with my hands.  I try not to sleep on my hands/arms (unless there is a blanket between them and my face).  I also try to keep my cell phone from being right up against my skin when using it for long conversations.
  2. I wash my bedding and towels every week.
  3. I only use BareMinerals makeup, nothing else.
  4. I shower at night.  While showering, I use Clean & Clear Continuous Control cleanser.  This cleanser is fabulous and really works.  Several of my friends swear by it.  I'm not a fan of any of their other products, but this one is great.  
  5. In the AM, I do not wash my face, I simply apply Philosophy Hope in a Jar moisturizer, makeup, and then go.

If nothing else, try to stop touching your face and then the Clean & Clear Continuous Control cleanser.  Those two should make a big difference.  Good luck!

#6 of 16 Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM

Have you looked into the oil cleansing method? I am 30 and have always had crazy oily acne-prone skin. I started OCM about a year ago and it has worked wonders!!! current favorite blend is castor oil and jojoba, with one drop of lemongrass and one drop of tea tree. When I get dry skin (which has never in my life happened to me before) I add a bit of olive oil. I do OCM at night and rinse with water in the morning. After my water rinse I use jojoba and lemongrass as a moisturizer, again with a little olive oil if I feel extra dry. no more zits, no more melted off makeup by 9am, and my pores look smaller than they ever have. I'm sure your mileage may vary but it may be worth looking into. Good luck!
#7 of 16 Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 PM

I'm in my late 20s and only just recently have seen improvements in my skin. A few things definitely seem to help

1) getting natural sunlight every day

2) don't over-wash, and I wouldn't be using a toner that often either. I wash my face in the morning and evening with a regular bar soap, then use witch hazel before bed, But beware that cheap witch hazels have lots of alcohol in them and that can bother your skin a lot, it is possible to get it without alcohol but it is much more expensive. 

3) I use oils as a moisturizer - my current blend is grapeseed, jojoba, and almond oil with a couple of drops of lavender, tea trea, and lemon essential oils. There are a huge variety of different oils that work well for different skin types. 

4) I eat Paleo. My skin was way worse when I was eating vegetarian, or even a more traditional healthy diet. Maybe acne was caused at least in part by eating lots of dairy, or the insulin spikes caused by carbs and sugar, but of course I'm not completely sure.

5) wash sheets and pillow cases frequently, and don't touch my face

#8 of 16 Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 AM

have you tried the Norwex face cloths?  They are antibacterial and NO chemicals!!!  Norwex face cloths are a microfiber cloth that is infused with silver, they are antibacterial and help get the bacteria out of the skin!

check out my website- www.susanblanchard.norwex.biz  Norwex prides themselves in being all natural, and contain no harsh chemicals!!!

Good luck!

#9 of 16 Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

This may be silly because it's so popular now but I had really bad skin into my late 20's before starting the wash with honey, moisturize with coconut oil routine that's become so popular('cause it works!).  I was 27 I think when I started.  I'm turning 32 next month and I'll never go back to anything else.  My breakouts are maybe once a month now related to my period and they are smaller and heal faster.  I realized that my skin is horribly sensitive to anything chemical instead of just oily like I thought.  I sparingly use mineral makeup(mostly just on my eyes now and nothing on my face otherwise) and wash once a day in the shower with honey and then put on coconut oil after my shower..  If you haven't tried it yet you really should.  I thought it would break me out worse because if was sugary and oily but at the time I'd had 8 or 9 pimples on my face for more than a month straight so I figured I had nothing left to lose.  I noticed a difference in my skin that first day just in the feeling alone.  Within a week all the pimples were cleared up and I had no new ones.  That's just with honey.  So I figured using the coconut oil would either make me break out like crazy again or it wouldn't but I needed some lotion of some sort.  It was amazing.  I will never go back to chemicals on my face.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#10 of 16 Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM

You should check out the company I am with. They manufacture and distribute all natural products at very reasonable prices right out of the U.S.

We have Free Live 20 Minute Webinars Monday-Thursday.

Lots of great information about the products, and a chance to ask questions

Until June 20th membership is $1 for the year instead of $29 (which is still awesome).

I absolutely love their products... Cleared up my eczema, my husband sleeps better taking the vitamins, and so much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaWhite View Post

I thought after I hit the 30 mark, after I was done being pregnant and breastfeeding, that my hormones would stabilize and for the first time in my life, I'd have clear skin.
NOPE.

I still break out horrible about a week before my period and on a regular basis to a lesser degree all of the time. I always have at least 3 blemishes on my face. Its getting old. Really old. and Embarrassing. I have translucent olive skin, so the scarring is really dark and takes weeks to fade. I look horrible. 

I have a great diet, vegetarian, get plenty of exercise.

I just use water and a washcloth because EVERYTHING makes my skin peel and crack and I use a peroxide/witchhazel toner 2x a day. I use a (100%) mineral makeup foundation a few times a week.
I should add that I also use olive squalene very sparingly to moisturize and that most products cause me to have rosacea flares.

I am really at a loss. Any suggestions? ( I am open to non-natural body care ideas)
#11 of 16 Old 07-07-2013, 02:26 PM

Honestly, I like to use natural products, and I've tried a lot of them on my skin (I'm about to turn 35, BTW, and so I'm with you on being sick of having bad skin!) but what works for me (and I mean IT WORKS. Regularly. Consistently decent, usually CLEAR skin) is Dan Kern's regimen on www.acne.org I buy his BP, moisturizer and AHA lotion (I don't buy his cleanser because I find my current cleanser works fine for me--Kiss My Face olive oil bar (the one with just olive oil, nothing else.) If you follow the instructions, it works. Worth a try!

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#12 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 AM

I have found that the best skin care out there is by Pretty Mommies. It's made with all natural and high quality ingredients, that help battle hormonal acne, aging, acne scares, black heads, etc. I started to use it and I have very dry skin as well as rosacea and have found that it has really cleared up my skin. I have been battling with bad skin now for the past 2 years and this is the only thing that will work for me! If you use 150005, you can get a discount on your first purchase. Definitely give this a try, if you don't like it, you can just return it- no questions asked! Hope this helps! I know how you feel! 

#13 of 16 Old 01-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Hi - I've struggled for years with my skin and two things have helped.

One is that I started with the oil cleansing method. I just use straight castor oil and a warm water flannel/washcloth.

Two is that I moisturise with a product called Blushaway - it's all natural and made by a company called Soap the Earth www.soaptheearth.com . It's got lots of stuff in to soothe and heal. I love it. The same company makes other moisturisers which I've tried but that's my favourite. I like knowing it has no nasties in as my face is so sensitive that things really have to be very pure and gentle. (Also they do nice natural baby products).

These two things have made a difference when even dermatologists, medication and metrogel etc did not (the dermatologist gave me a choice between roaccutane causing possible psychosis, another drug causing possible kidney failure, another causing possible liver damage and the pill causing possible blood clots. Er, no thanks).

Good luck with it all, hope it works.

#14 of 16 Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 AM

I'm in the same boat as you.... My skin isn't much different as when i was 15, except that even a wet washcloth makes my skin dry and flaky. SO, i only wash that way, and only as much as necessary--sometimes only once/day. I then use bio oil or some sort of natural moisturizer, like olive oil or, ok, i'll be honest, toxic retinol creams b/c i have wrinkles  now, too!!! So anyway, it sounds like you're doing everything right, but i have one thing to add: vinegar. I've found that after a day or two of drinking about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a big glass of water, at least twice a day, my skin improves--particularly that horrible cystic acne. And i know others who've noticed the same.

Also, you may want to skip the witch hazel because of the alcohol.

Another thing to look into is the oil cleansing method. i do this only to remove make-up, as my skin can't take a regular OCM regimen.

If i repeated anything, i apologize; i didn't read the other posts.

#15 of 16 Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM

I wish I had a good answer for you.

I'm 34 and I have been dealing with bad acne as well. I've had an acne problem one other time in my life (a time of severe stress during my early 20's), but definitely not like now. These days I have 8-10 pimples on my face at once, and the ones that are trying to heal take F..O..R..E..V..E..R! I don't know if it is cystic acne (because I don't know what that is), but I do know it is partly related to hormones because of where my breakouts are the worse (chin area). However I get pimples all over: forehead, chin, cheeks, a few on the nose. It makes me feel so blah.

I used to use Clinique's 3 step cleansing method and it worked only so-so, but I wanted to go to a more natural product. I thought I had rosacea, so I washed with a probiotic cleanser. Didn't work. I tried the Oil Cleansing Method since I heard great reviews about it. Didn't work. In fact, the olive oil made my face breakout worse! And my skin was more dried out too! So I cut back on the castor oil and used sunflower oil with a bit of jojoba. Still didn't work. I tend to think my face is really sensitive to heat, and the steaming part of OCM was making my condition worse. Anyway, the past couple of weeks I have been using raw honey to cleanse my face twice a day, then moisturize with a tad of raw, pure shea butter. It seems like my acne is getting better, but it's a really, really slow process. I hope just being consistent with it will help. I think it would help to not wear makeup (Clinique brand), but I can't bare the thought of going out in public without covering my spots (self-confidence issue?). I only wear makeup 1-2 times a week, but every time I do, I feel like I'm back at square one the next day, trying to undo the damage I did by putting makeup on my face. It's a vicious cycle.

So now that I've blabbed your ear off, here's my point: It seems everyone has a different product to promote, or a different method they tried that worked wonders, but here's the thing: it worked for THEM. It may not work for you, so it's a bit of trial and error. Just try not to do too many new things at once.

Here are some things that MAY (or may NOT) help:

1. Evaluate if a vegetarian diet is contributing to the acne problem. I've read in some places online and in my books that as a vegetarian, your body may not be getting all the vitamins/minerals/good fats that it needs to regenerate new cells, keep the skin healthy, etc. Just a thought.

2. Chasteberry is known to help with acne. I take it in capsule form, but a liquid form may work more quickly.

3. Do a liver/kidney cleanse: When our liver and/or kidneys are overtaxed, they don't do a good job of getting rid of toxins and it comes out other places, such as the face.

4. Heat may exacerbate the problem. It did for me. Any time I use water that's hotter than lukewarm, my face reacts. Steaming didn't work for me either. I now only use cool water, and I have found it be refreshing as well as calming.

pumabearclan likes this.

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#16 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 AM

Red face Try Vain Pursuits - get $20

I've having the same problem for SO LONG! Like every other girl, tried so many different products and none worked after a little while, it was so frustrating!

One of my close friends told me about another natural skincare brand called Vain Pursuits - they made great products JUST FOR ME, my dry, flaky skin and my favorite scent The customer service is amazing, there was one little thing I didn't like about my product, and they changed it for me. Check them out - they're giving you $20 too!

http://www.vainpursuits.com/?utm_sou...aign=Mothering

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page