Dr Bronners for body - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've recently begun using Dr. Bronners for cleaning around the house.  I know it can be used for shampoo/body soap but I've heard that it dries out your skin and makes hair dry and straw-like.  Can anyone attest to this?  Have you used this on your children and babies?  We've used California Baby for the past few years but DD is getting a buildup in her hair so I'd like to switch to something else.  If DH and I (and baby on the way) can use it too, all the better!

SAHM to DD1 shy.gif, DD2 baby.gif, and one m/c angel.gif

#2 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Subbing

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM

I buy a gallon of Lavendar Bronners every year and it lasts all year long. I shower with it, wash my hands and face with it, and baby. I do not wash my hair though it makes it feel really weird unless you rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar. Something about the acid in the vinegar gets it all out. I have very dry skin but it does not bother me like other soap does. I sometimes squirt a bit in my laundry if im out of my regular stuff. You can make house hold cleaners with it however dont mix it with vinegar. I mix a bit with a few Tbs of Borax, squirt of soap few drops of Tea Tree oil or what ever you like add water and shake it up. makes a nice hard surface cleaner. You can pretty much run the world with Dr. Bronners. I love Lavender, Almond and Peppermint.

#4 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 01:17 PM

I use Dr. Bronner's as a shampoo and it hasn't made my hair too dry... I also use conditioner, though, and my hair runs toward the oily side anyway.

It does dry out my skin if I try to use it as a body wash, though.  For that reason, I haven't bathed my daughter with it yet (we prefer Shea Moisture for her).

#5 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM

I used Dr Bronner's as shampoo occasionally (when traveling, or staying at my boyfriend's house) and if I use it too frequently it definitely dries out my hair after a while. If you use conditioner it might be okay on a long-term basis. If I just use it every so often it doesn't dry out my hair though.

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#6 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Dh and I have used it exclusively for years for shampoo/body wash. My hair is not dry, but I don't wash it every day either. 

#7 of 12 Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies!  Looks like I'll have to try it out and see.  I'm loving it as a household cleaner so it would be great if I could use it for body as well!  I'll see how it works on me before trying it on DD.

SAHM to DD1 shy.gif, DD2 baby.gif, and one m/c angel.gif

#8 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey pants View Post

I buy a gallon of Lavendar Bronners every year and it lasts all year long. I shower with it, wash my hands and face with it, and baby. I do not wash my hair though it makes it feel really weird unless you rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar. Something about the acid in the vinegar gets it all out. I have very dry skin but it does not bother me like other soap does. I sometimes squirt a bit in my laundry if im out of my regular stuff. You can make house hold cleaners with it however dont mix it with vinegar. I mix a bit with a few Tbs of Borax, squirt of soap few drops of Tea Tree oil or what ever you like add water and shake it up. makes a nice hard surface cleaner. You can pretty much run the world with Dr. Bronners. I love Lavender, Almond and Peppermint.

Why no vinegar?  I usually clean with a mixture of vinegar, water and tea tree oil but sometimes squirt in lavendar Dr.Bronners too.  This is a no, no, I take it, but I don't know why?

Thanks!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#9 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 PM

There is a strange chemical reaction between vinegar & Castile soap. It gets weird, greasy etc. Vinegar is awesome, Dr. Bronners is fantastic just not in the same bottle. I think on Dr. Bronners web site there is an explanation.
#10 of 12 Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM

I added a few tablespoons of coconut oil to my Dr. Bronner's, if I use it as shampoo, I will follow up with an apple cider vinegar rinse. This is all I use for soap, the extra coconut oil cured any dryness I was experiencing.
#11 of 12 Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM

I use the Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild bar soap on my 3 year old and 1 month old and their hair and skin is just fine.
#12 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We've been using it for almost a year now for body wash.  I buy the bars and make them into liquid soap.  I love it.  I wouldn't use it on my hair because it would dry it out but I have no issues with it on my skin.  My 3 daughters all use it(think teenage down to kindergarten age) and while the younger ones get lotioned up after showers, the oldest hates lotion and still her skin is fine.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page