Need advice on my DD's crazy dandruff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 13 year old DD has what is almost like cradle cap. Seriously thick scaly dandruf thats itchy. She uses Paul Mitchel Tea Trea shampoo which makes her head feel better and tingliy but the problem does not go away. She will also do a vinegar rinse about once a week which helps but her head is still super flaky and gross.

I did by some Neutrogena Tgel but she broke out in CRAZY HIVES all down her back. It was frightning!

Her hair is also very very thick which makes me think she is possibly not rinsing well and I tell her to scrub  and rinse rinse rinse. her showers are epic.

So what is a good solution? Olive Oil on her scalp? HELP!!

Thank You.

#2 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

hi..

i have used coconut oil too for dandruff.maybe you could try that. too bad about the t-gel. it helped me when i was younger.

#3 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 AM

We had a similar problem with my son. Everything natural we tried did not help.

We got rid of it by using a cheap anti dandruff shampoo for about two weeks. We now only use it occasionally.

#4 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM

I have similar problems with my own scalp and have tried pretty much everything under the sun.  I've been using nasty chemical-laden shampoo for the past few months and it seemed to be working for a little while, but isn't anymore (so goodbye to that--I didn't really want to use it anyway!)  My new plan of attack:  oil treatments.  I'm gonna warm up some coconut oil and put a few drops of both tea tree and rosemary oil in it and then wrap my head in plastic wrap.  Have you looked into food allergies with your DD?  I know that a lot of skin issues are caused by diet (I've tried eliminating most of the normal culprits from my diet and it hasn't yet worked for me, but if you haven't tried this route yet, it could end up being an easy fix!  Dairy and gluten tend to cause most issues, from what I've heard...)  Hoping someone comes on here with some great advice for both of us ;)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#5 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Well the rest of her skin is clear and lovely. Just flaky gross scalp. So if she has a food allergy wouldn't the rest of her skin have issues as well? Let me know how the coconut oil goes. I just want to pick at her head but she won't let me near it.
#6 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM

Dandruff is caused by fungus, oil of oregano is a really strong anti fungal. I'm not sure how you would do it because the stuff is way too expensive to wash hair in, but maybe try to find a product with that in it?

#7 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey pants View Post

Thanks. Well the rest of her skin is clear and lovely. Just flaky gross scalp. So if she has a food allergy wouldn't the rest of her skin have issues as well? Let me know how the coconut oil goes. I just want to pick at her head but she won't let me near it.

On the food allergy--not necessarily.  I get eczema on my hands (nowhere else) when I eat dairy.  

I did the coconut oil thing last night and this morning my scalp was SO much better!  I'm going to shoot to do it 2 times a week and see if that can get it under control.  I warmed it up, too, so it felt really nice on my scalp.  I wrapped plastic wrap around it for about an hour and then wrapped bandanas around my hair to sleep so that my pillow wouldn't get too oily.  I washed my hair this morning with regular shampoo and it is definitely still a little greasy.  2 washes probably would have gotten it all out, or maybe a vinegar rinse?  I've also read that it's good to brush the scalp and through the hair with a natural bristle brush to loosen the dead skin before you apply the oil.  I just picked up a brush today and will do that for next time.  Let me know if you try it and have success!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page