Natural body care products - what are your must haves? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is an area where I could seriously improve. I use a Diva Cup and can't imagine how I lived before I found that. Definitely a must have for me. Otherwise, I'm not sure about shampoos and all that. What do you use and what can you not imagine living without?

#2 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I can't imagine going BACK to using shampoo! I do water-only.

The big two things for me ( besides the Diva) are honey and coconut oil. I use those two things for nearly everything bodycare-related. CO is my moisturizer, my deep conditioner for my hair, and my deodorant. Honey is my facial scrub (when I can get it crystallized), my face wash/mask (uncrystallized), and may become my hair moisturizer too. I haven't tried it yet, but I've read it's a good conditioner.

My other thing I don't think I want to give up: cloth wipes instead of TP. Seriously, I thought it was SO gross when I first read about it on here, but then we started using cloth diapers when our son came along and I thought, if we're using them for him, why not?

#3 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Natural product mama here! I use sea sponge tampons...I LOVE them and would never go back to anything else.

Body wise I use jojoba oil, coconut oil for face and body moisturizer. Tea tree oil for occasional breakouts. Baking soda as a mild exfoliant for face in the mornings. Baking soda and peppermint oil for toothpaste, and don't use deoderant. We use castile soap.

For shampoo and conditioner I shell out the big bucks for organic/cruelty free, but only wash my hair about every 4 days so it is not that bad. I am interested in the no poo method that I have heard about. Anyone else have good luck with that? What did you do?

We also cloth diaper our son as well.

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#4 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Hmm, not sure I could go without shampoo because my hair is thick and oily. I guess i just dont know enough about it. I use the Organix brand: http://m.ulta.com/mt/www.ulta.com//ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod2690023#details. Its not the most natural, but its the best shampoo i've found for my thick, frizzy, oily hair. I like the fact that its sulfate and paraben free and it smells great, too.

I use Glad Rags cloth pads and i love them. I have been using the same dozen pads for 4 years now and they're still in great shape! I tried thr Divacup and the sea sponge but they were uncomfortable for me, maybe it was due to my technique, not sure.

I use Burt Bee's for DD's hair and body and cloth diapers and wipes are a must. I'm not a fan of using cloth wipes instead of toilet paper but for babies they are great. I also like jojoba oil for skin.

Mama to I (3/11) and pregnant again (3/20/13) love.gif

The richness of life cannot be sold nor bought. --me
#5 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used cloth diapers when mine were little. Loved them.

I am afraid to go withouot shampoo. orngbiggrin.gif lol
#6 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM

Love that so many people have said menstrual cups/cloth pads in this thread! joy.gif

I tried no-poo for a while and couldn't really get into it. I don't wash my hair super often now (once or twice a week), but when I do I have to use shampoo or castille soap or my hair gets... weird. I use castille soap for a lot of things.

Probably the best thing I ever did (besides switch to cloth pads!) was switching from conventional deodorant to a natural brand. It worked better and didn't stain my clothes like crazy! Also, I seem to sweat less now. I have no idea why.

mamazee likes this.

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#7 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM

Diva cup user here, too.  I also use jojoba oil as moisturizer and honey to wash my face.  Aloe vera gel is a great hair gel.  I make my own deodorant (equal parts coconut oil, shea butter, cornstarch, baking soda) and I love it!  

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#8 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I love natural shampoos, I use them for myself and my daughter. I'm a big fan of some of Dr. Bronner's products. Check out www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com. We have a huge variety of organic skin care products for moms and children (and dads too) smile.gif 

#9 of 10 Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM

EarthLandia Products has a really good natural deodorant that actually works!   

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#10 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Hard tallow soap for everything.

Rationally short hair (or dreads) and short nails.

One or two natural plant oils for occasional moisturizing.

Low-carb high-fat diet.

Tags
Natural Body Care , Gladrags

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page