Facial Care for 8.5 year old Daughter ?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-21-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 8.5 and has recently been getting a few breakout areas, especially on her nose but sometimes on her chin. Otherwise, she has skin that tans if slowly sunned, but she also seems a little sensitive to products.

What are the best natural remedies for her? Some of the things I use for myself seemed to help at first (lemon juice), but I'm not sure she's up for other things that aren't as easy on the senses (apple cider vinegar).

Any ideas would be awesome!! Thanks!

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#2 of 14 Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I am curious,does your daughter have oily skin? Does it look like white or blackheads are the cause of the outbreaks. Does she wash her face frequently and with what? 

I'm sorry she is breaking out. I too use lemon juice and baking soda for exfoliation but she seems a little young for that.

#3 of 14 Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

I am curious,does your daughter have oily skin? Does it look like white or blackheads are the cause of the outbreaks. Does she wash her face frequently and with what? 

Only her t-zone is oily, but that seems to be a new thing as well. They are mostly just bumpy and skin-colored, but occasionally she gets tiny whiteheads and rarely blackheads. She washes her face twice a day most days. Other than the home remedies, we've tried Aveeno Smart Essentials, Neutrogena Ultra Gentle, and maybe some kind of Burt's Bees? (I think I got those names correct.)

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

#4 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 AM

Depending on how she's washing her face, twice a day might be too much. If she's scouring, or using something that may be taking off the top layers and all the oils, then her skin may be producing excess oils in an effort to protect. Is she using some sort of lotion while her skin is still lightly damp, to keep the moisture in?

Is there something else going on in her life that's causing increased stress? Has she had any dietary changes?

If nothing else seems to be going on, then in all honesty, it may just be the opening salvo of puberty. I know there are people who swear up and down that adolescent-age skin problems are solely a matter of diet, hygiene, and exercise, but some of us are just unlucky no matter what we do. If you think this may be the case, the best thing you can do for your daughter is to not make a big deal out of it.

#5 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, she uses a soft wash cloth and isn't really using any product that had rough texture or is exfoliating. She does use lotion most of the time. She also has bouts of keratosis pilaris on her upper arms, so we lotion for that.

No, I don't think there's any kind of increased stress (other than signs of the 9-10 year change way too early) and definitely no dietary changes. Puberty, ugh. What a horrible word. dizzy.gif However, I am thinking it might be the earliest beginnings of changes in her body. Her dad had acne, and I have issues related to my cycle, so I'm sure part of it is "unlucky".

I absolutely won't make a big deal out of it. Thanks for bringing that up! I just want to help her if possible.

#6 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WednesdayO View Post

Well, she uses a soft wash cloth and isn't really using any product that had rough texture or is exfoliating. She does use lotion most of the time. She also has bouts of keratosis pilaris on her upper arms, so we lotion for that.

This can be caused by a vitamin a deficiency. Mine gets worse if I forget to take my prenatal. Also where are you located? I love lather products. LOVE! They make a huge difference in our skin.

http://www.lather.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=675&idCategory=3

LOVE!

Also the exfolient can be added to any soap and makes a hge difference for my keritosis.

#7 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

This can be caused by a vitamin a deficiency. Mine gets worse if I forget to take my prenatal. Also where are you located? I love lather products. LOVE! They make a huge difference in our skin.

I didn't know keratosis pilaris could be related to vitamin deficiency. How would you know either way? She was a 29-weeker, and we were told keratosis pilaris is common in preemies, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

We are located in the Triangle area of NC... the area between Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.

I haven't heard of Lather. I'll check out the site. Thanks!

#8 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hmmm. My daughter was preemie too, and she gets skin colored little bumps sometimes, but they don't last long. I will ask her dermatologist about it next time we go.  I thought maybe they were molluscums starting to pop out, since we have battled those before...just usually not on the face.

My daughter is six and she still uses very little product on her hair and body. I put about a half cup to a cup of apple cider vinegar in her bath. I don't think she remembers to use soap or bring a washcloth into the bath most of the time. When she does, she uses Vanicreme soap which was recommended by our derm. It has no parabens, etc. and is mild enough for eczema skin, which she gets sometimes. She will put her head under the water to wash her hair, so I assume some shampoo water gets on her face (we use mild, organic shampoos). If we've eaten pizza or something greasy, I will go over her face for her sometimes with a warm washcloth and a small dab of mild soap that I keep in a foaming dispenser near the sink for hands. I do this before bed. We are in a big hurry in the mornings and we get up very early, so I don't ask them to wash faces in the morning. I will when they get older. In the summer we swim a lot, so I feel like the pool water dries her skin, and I am ok with her not washing as often with soap.

My son's cleanliness habits are pretty bad, and he is 10, but he is still breakout free. I did see what appeared to be a pimple recently, so I will need to get on him to wash more frequently.

#9 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM

I was also premie but I also just took a nutrition class and sure enough it was a side effect of vitamin a deficiency. Might be unrelated as not all cases are caused by it.

#10 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM

What about trying honey?  I use it for my face and my face hasn't been as clear ever as it has been since I started using honey.  I use raw local honey, which also helps with allergies (introducing the pollen into your body).

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#11 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

What about trying honey?

How do you use the honey? Warm it, simply wash with it, etc?

Thank you all for your ideas!

#12 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WednesdayO View Post

Quote:

How do you use the honey? Warm it, simply wash with it, etc?

Thank you all for your ideas!

Wet your face, then put about a teaspoon in your hand and use it like any other face wash.  It isn't sticky if you wet your face first.  

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#13 of 14 Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 PM

Leave away the lotion in her face! If she now starts to produce more sebum because of prepuberty there will be too much oil on the skin.

Maybe try only to wash in the evenings (if she has to use sunscreen! this must be washed away after the day).

#14 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm glad I found this discussion. DS will be nine this summer and has a few blackheads on his nose. He's got sensory issues and HATES washing his face. I wish there was something natural he could wipe on and wipe off.

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page