Greasy Hair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have fine hair buts lots of, I naturally shed a lot of hair.  When I was pregnant I hardly shed any at all then at 3 months PP I started loosing a ton of hair until about 7 months PP.  Then I started growing a lot of new hair and it looked kind of crazy so I got my hair cut into a very short layered bob.  It looked great and stayed in shape for days without washing.  Now though it has started to get longer and it's getting greasier and greasier.  It's not really long enough to tie up so that I could stretch it another day without washing it.  Now I have got into the habit of washing it more and more and I don't know how to get out of it!

Is there anything I should be doing to make it less greasy?  Is conditioning it making it worse?  If I don't condition it it feels like straw for the first day until the greas starts to build up.  I have the sort of hair that when it's just washed it looks really thick and poofy, the next day it just hangs there, the day after I have to camouflage it by pinning some bits up, the day after it has to be washed.  Just lately I'm washing it a day earlier though.  I really do have to blow dry it otherwise it looks ridiculous.  Could this be making it worse?  I thought blow drying dried your hair out?

Any tips?  Thx!

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#2 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Did you try sprinkling some corn starch on the greasy spots to stretch out the times between showering?  It soaks up the oil and you just brush it out so it's not noticeable.  The more you wash it, the faster it gets greasy because you are stripping out the oils and convincing the scalp to make more to keep the hair from getting dry.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#3 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

For what it's worth though, I have to shower and wash my hair every other day so I'd be thrilled with 3 full days of clean-ish hair.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 PM

Is your hair naturally straight or do you have some natural wave or curl?

joy.giflurk.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't tried corn starch before.  I did recently try dry shampoo in a spray can but it was a disaster.  It's really talc in a can.  The whole bathroom was covered and my hair looked grey (it's dark brown) and powdery.

My hair is straight but if I don't blow dry it is kinks out and just looks odd.

I guess maybe washing it every three days isn't that bad then!  My mum has super thick blond hair and only washes it once a week and it stays looking great!

When you wash your hair is it best to shampoo once or twice?  I normally only do it once but maybe this doesn't get it clean enough?

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page