DIY wool-backed mama cloth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently pregnant, and I started using some simple cotton flannel pantyliners to help with the discharge - I loved them! I'd like to switch to mama cloth for all of my needs, but I'm discouraged by some of the prices of quality products. I was wondering if anyone has ever made their own mama cloth with felted wool backing? Kind of like the Just Fussy Moonpads; those seem to have excellent reviews, but they are expensive, and I'd actually like to avoid bamboo. I prefer just cotton and wool. Anyway, I know the wool must be felted well before the pads are sewn, but other than that, I'm lost! Any direction?

Oh, and these aren't really for postpartum, at least not this time - my baby is due any day now, so there's no time for that! I'm planning on using preemie prefolds for that... another tip I learned from this community!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM

Felting wool well can be a pretty time-consuming process! It might be worth it to just purchase some wool felt to use.

Personally, I'd probably loosely knit a large square, and then felt that. After, you could sew it inside the pad to keep it in place and prevent it from shifting during washing.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Tracy!

I actually found this online. Perhaps it will be interesting for anyone with a similar question: http://resweater.blogspot.com/2012/02/its-tutorial-tuesday-make-your-own.html

Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM

I adore my Just Fussy Moon pads. They are so well made and well worth the cost. I used them during pregnancy for sneeze pees and now PP. they are cool breathable and comfy.

Tags
Natural Body Care
User Tag List