No Shampoo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone do the no poo method?  I'm thinking about giving it a try but I'm nervous. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I did it for a number of years.  There was actually a long thread here about it, I'll see if I can dig it up.

#3 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1345220/calling-all-no-poo-mammas-no-poo-support-thread

Here is one.  Also, since this was posted in the Health & Healing forum, I moved it to Natural Body Care which is where we host discussions on natural body care. :)

#4 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Yes, I don't think anyone has posted in that thread for a long time but there are some good tips and tricks there.  I have been no 'poo since February 2012.  My technique has changed over time and now what works for me is washing with conditioner only.  I started out using BS/ACV but found my hair to dry.  Then, I used just water.  Still too dry.  Now I wash with water and a natural conditioner.  It's what works for me, but I tend to be really dry and we have hard water.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#5 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I did the no-poo method for probably 18 months and my hair just WASN'T cooperating after abotu a year.  It felt dry and flyaway and gross.  I couldn't wear it down because it was HUGE and poofy looking.  Finally I gave up and now I wash with baking soda and a cheap silicone-free conditioner every other day and just water on my "off" days if I have worked out and it's sweaty and gross.  Every once in a while I'll lather up with shampoo.  I figure it's still saving me money and keeping the majority of chemicals off my skin but it just didn't work for me long term.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#6 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much!

#7 of 7 Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Here are all the details on how I wash my hair with vinegar.  I tried using baking soda as well, but it didn't seem to make any difference, so now I skip that step.  I have longish, thick, wavy, European-type hair that used to be so oily I had to wash it every other day--now I can wash just once a week!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page