Dr Bronners bar soap for acne prone skin??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I have read nothing but wonderful reviews on Dr Bronners bar soaps from people who have suffered with acne and claim it worked miracles on their skin. I do get the occasional breakout (usually hormone related) and have sensitive skin so I am iffy about trying a product with the first ingredient being organic coconut oil because I have heard coconut oil is comedogenic (which can lead to acne, right?) unless it is virgin coconut oil. So I am a bit confused! Is this product good for acne prone skin or not?shrug.gif My thought is that perhaps comedogenic ingredients don't matter in face wash because you wash it right off? Or maybe it IS virgin coconut oil but it just does not say virgin on the ingredient list? If anyone knows or if anyone has tried this soap and had it cause breakouts of any kind please reply.

#2 of 8 Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I have never used this soap on my face. But I do love it for every thing else. Hope you find your answers.
#3 of 8 Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 AM

I would suggest a soap made with clary sage essential oil, if you can find it.  Or you can buy the essential oil, dilute it in a light carrier oil like olive or grapeseed, and apply to your face with a cotton ball.  It's a natural remedy for acne and oily skin.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/156117427/clary-sage-rosemary-thyme-soap?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=clary+sage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

http://www.etsy.com/listing/156339253/sale-500-clary-sage-soap-with-lavender?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=clary+sage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

http://www.etsy.com/listing/175303582/lavender-clary-sage-handcrafted?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_query=clary+sage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

Mom to 2 boys, Ian (6) and Duncan (4)

HR goddess and Soapmaker - check my profile for a link to my lovely soap blog!

#4 of 8 Old 01-21-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will look into the clary sage oil!...while the other soaps you posted links to look lovely, they also contain coconut oil as one of the first ingredients. That is my main question: will coconut oil, used in a face wash/soap clog pores? I have read that coconut oil is a 4 or 5 out of 5 on the comedogenic scale so I would think it would be so bad for skin. Yet everyone raves about dr. bronners getting rid of thier acne. I don't really have a problem with acne, I am just concerned about using a product that may give me a problem with acne.

#5 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Coconut oil is amazing for skin.  I would only hesitate using it if you have very large pores and then really, anything will clog them.  I have T zone skin - oily forehead, nose and chin and dry cheeks.  I also get blackheads on my nose and breakouts along my jaw and hairline.  I use coconut oil straight on my skin every day and it's never looked better.  It has dramatically minimized my breakouts.  I don't get as much gunk in my blackheads on my nose.  I swear by the stuff but, everyone's skin is different.  What works for one may not work for another.  I say try it and see how it works for you.  Maybe try adding a few drops to the moisturizer you're already using and see how your skin reacts?  I found for me, my skin looks so much better with just extra virgin coconut oil (I mix in some lavender EO) so I've completely giving up my old moisturizers.  But, I do apply it to wet skin or, I get my hands wet, add the coconut oil to my hands and rub them together and then spread it on my face.  I think it absorbs so much better this way. 

Edited to add that as far as a soap with coconut oil - by the time it's gone through saponification, there is very little actual coconut oil left - it's all been turned into soap.  Some may be left unsaponified intentionally to make a milder bar of soap but it will be a minimal amount.  Plus, soap is designed to be a wash off product - it doesn't stay on your skin so using a coconut oil soap will be fine. 

AutumnMoon likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much! That was just what I was hoping to hear. I did decide to try the soap. I have been using it for about a week now with no problem yet. Usually when I use something with a comedogenic ingredient it takes 2-3 weeks for me to start getting these little flesh colored bumps on my face. I wouldn't exactly call them pimples. But either way, I don't want them!....I figured that with a soap, since you are just washing it off, it wouldn't really matter what is in it. Although with this soap, I do notice a feeling after I use it like something is left on my skin. I am hoping it is good stuff left on my skin:) 

#7 of 8 Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I have pores that clog really easily and used Dr. Bronners soap for awhile. While it didn't make me break out more it also didn't make my acne go away. I'm currently using Dessert Essence Tea Tree Cleansing pads. Trader Joes has basically the same thing for about $4 for 50. Currently I just use it for hand soap as I prefer their Sal Suds for cleaning, laundry, etc. 

If you feel something is left on your skin you can use vinegar. Basically the soap is very alkaline and the skin likes to be close to neutral but slightly acidic. Vinegar or anything acidic like lemon will help balance the PH. This is why I also don't like it for cleaning. I find it attracts too much dirt unless I use vinegar with it.

#8 of 8 Old 03-18-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Vegetable based soaps like Bronners contain a lot of glycerine, which is not only clogging but dehydrating as well. If you want to use soap, I recommend a natural tallow soap (shaving soap). A superfatted nut butter soap might work as well. You want a soap made from saturated fat, which is very similar to the sebum that will be sudsed away along with the soap fats.

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page