Anyone experimented with homemade or henna hair color? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I really want a new color for a change but don't want any chemicals.  I found this post on herbal hair dye:

http://wellnessmama.com/5112/natural-hair-color-recipes/

I am dirty blonde and hoping to go to a red color.  I am looking at making an herbal dye or using henna.  Could anyone share their experience with natural DIY hair color?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I love wellness mama!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I henna my hair red, henna works really well to color your hair a darker (even slightly darker) shade then your original color. It does not work to lighten your hair. I use this brand and really love it! I make my henna paste, add a tiny bit of vinegar or lemon juice and let it cool, then I apply the henna to my hair and wrap it up in a plastic cap and then a towel. I let it set for as many hours as I can and rinse in the morning.

Here is the thing though. Henna will dye your towels, sheets, skin, etc. really really well. So when you do the henna take that into consideration.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been dyeing my hair with henna for 7 years now! My hair is naturally dark blonde/light brown and turns a nice, natural shade of red. http://www.hennaforhair.com/ has been a great resource to me. Their Mehandi shop is where I buy my henna. I've been using the Jamila type, which they don't carry anymore...I can't remember what I got originally. There are a lot of interesting mixes that people make but I just use straight henna, water, and a splash of apple cider vinegar (for the acidity).

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd love to help! I've been doing this for a long time. :)

Me (25) & DH (28) - Married 10/20/12, Together since 2008

Waiting impatiently to TTC #1

namaste.gifhomeschool.gifnocirc.gif hippie.gif

Old 03-02-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mine was really messy and yes, stained the wooden spoon I used to mix it.  I would really like a more natural way than the chemical boxes at most stores sell, but was hoping to find something less messy.

I'm a single working mom of 3 wonderful kiddos. 

Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter uses henna all the time.  She's dark blonde and it makes her hair a nice shade of orangey blonde.  She buys bricks of it and melts it on the stove somehow.  I think she gets it from Lush.

Tags
Natural Body Care
User Tag List