1Likes
  • 1 Post By Springshowers
  • 1 Post By bruna
  • 1 Post By BedHead

#1 of 17 Old 02-13-2014, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My sister is an esthetician, and she's trying to convince me that I should be cleansing/toning/moisturizing daily. I haven't washed my face since I was a teenager (unless there is actual visible dirt on it, like from the garden, then I use whatever gentle soap I've got around) and I don't wear makeup. Sometimes I use a bit of shea butter or coconut oil if it's really dry. I've been thinking about trying the oil cleansing method, though, just because I'm 30 now and all of a sudden I feel like I should be more of a grown-up!

Do faces really get that dirty? Do you follow these steps, and if you do, what products do you use?
#2 of 17 Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I also don't wear makeup. I just splash My face with water then rub dry. Occasionally in the shower I will soap it up.

Funny i have been looking at cleaning systems like that too lately. Then I look at the ingredients and can't feel it would help.
pumabearclan likes this.
#3 of 17 Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes, I don't wash my face everyday; I feel like it is healthier, more moist and less acne prone because of it.

My facial skin care routine is to wipe with a warm washcloth, maybe every three days. Sometimes I use a touch of castille soap on the cloth.
I also tone with a Witch Hazel and rosewater toner a couple times a week or to freshen up.

I really question the conventional message to wash the face twice a day, scrubbing, deep
cleaning. I think it's quite bad for the skin.

Oil cleansing sounds interesting, what's it like?
pumabearclan likes this.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#4 of 17 Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I don't wash my face daily. I clean my skin with something once a day: water, oil, clay paste, or soap.

To clean with oil I massage it in well then press warm wet steaming cloths onto my face several times, gently rub off the excess oil. I know that it's "clean" when my skin feels dry after it dries. Then I use a few dots of same oil to moisturize. This is very good for clogged pores.

When ppl only had soap, they didn't wash daily, it would have harmed the skin. Women used cold cream & lotions to clean. Then when "gentle" detergents became predominant ppl washed daily as recommended by the manufacturers. I think that detergents are bad for skin. I also think daily washing is a marketing ploy to use up product.
#5 of 17 Old 02-19-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I do, with real soap in the shower, and before bed I use warm water and scrubbing. My face gets oily, if I don't keep up with it my chin breaks out.

#6 of 17 Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I wash my face 2x a day.  In the morning I use a cleanser in the shower.  I then use a toner and moisturizer before applying my make up.

At night I use coconut oil to remove my eye make up.  I use black soap to wash my face and I also exfoliate.  Again, I tone and then moisturize...sometimes I apply acne treatment before moisturizing if I suspect flare-ups.....I can thank hormones for this.

I am 41....and if I don't exfoliate, acne will take over.

Going without make up isn't an option.....as I have no eyes... and since I live in the Pacific Northwest, I have become rather pale.  help.gif

#7 of 17 Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just washed my face today! The last time I washed it was Thanksgiving or Christmas. Most of the time I just rinse with water. If I do wear a small bit of makeup I remove it with some almond oil.
I washed with an organic clay from Urban40 & a few drops of olive oil, mixed with water. It was also hair washing day...
#8 of 17 Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 AM

I do, with Dr Bronners Peppermint liquid soap, just a bit.  I love the tingly feel in the morning - it helps wake me up :)

jemalah likes this.
#9 of 17 Old 03-06-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I have "combination skin": My nose and middle part of my forehead and chin get quite oily, while the sides of my face can be dry, esp. in winter.  I wash at least my nose, sometimes more of my face as needed, with Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap one or more times a day, as needed.

I also wash my face with honey daily.  I first read about it on these boards.  It's a lot less drying than soap.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#10 of 17 Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaBearclan View Post

I don't wash my face daily. I clean my skin with something once a day: water, oil, clay paste, or soap.

To clean with oil I massage it in well then press warm wet steaming cloths onto my face several times, gently rub off the excess oil. I know that it's "clean" when my skin feels dry after it dries. Then I use a few dots of same oil to moisturize. This is very good for clogged pores.

When ppl only had soap, they didn't wash daily, it would have harmed the skin. Women used cold cream & lotions to clean. Then when "gentle" detergents became predominant ppl washed daily as recommended by the manufacturers. I think that detergents are bad for skin. I also think daily washing is a marketing ploy to use up product.

What type of oil? I'd like to try this. Sesame oil? Olive oil? I do have some clay I use for rash, maybe I should try it. I know some clays are more drying. Do u always moisturize after the clay?
#11 of 17 Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by here we are View Post

What type of oil? I'd like to try this. Sesame oil? Olive oil? I do have some clay I use for rash, maybe I should try it. I know some clays are more drying. Do u always moisturize after the clay?

I use monounsaturated oils like olive or sweet almond oil for cleaning, something that's thick enough to gently massage. Sesame is a thinner polyunsaturated and hasn't been as suitable for me for cleaning.

I read you shouldn't let clay dry on your face, so use steam towels and rinse it off before it dries. I usually do have to moisturize after using clay.

#12 of 17 Old 07-19-2014, 10:31 AM

I wash my face every morning and before going to bed. It is better to wash and cleanse your face daily to avoid skin problems like acne, pimples and dryness of the skin. Use a mild soap or natural facial cleanser. You can also use a good cleansing wipes if you are so tired to wash your face in the evening. I recommend you to use Essenzza natural cleansing wipes it cleanses and hydrate your skin.
#13 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 PM

norwex

i use the norwex body cloth and just water to wash my face...it cleans better than soap and lifts oils/dirt beautifully!! it takes off make up completely as well...so i save on make up removers and soaps!!!

p.s. to bedhead....could you give me info on your cow share contact? would love to give my little ones some super milk!! thanks for your help!!!
#14 of 17 Old 07-31-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't wear makeup, but I do pretty much what my mother taught me and wash my face in the shower (with the soapy washcloth I use to wash the rest of my body) and at night right after brushing my teeth with soap and water, using my hands, not taking very long because I don't want any more zits than I already have.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#15 of 17 Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I used to just wash my face in the am but now that I wear foundation I use a baby wipe at night. I'm using Nubian Heritage African Black soap and I like it. It's good for acne skin and it has a creamy feel to it.

#16 of 17 Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 AM

I only wash (really just rinse off) my face when I shower, when I sweat a lot, or when it is visibly dirty. I don't wear makeup. I shower about two-three times a week and wash my face in the shower.

3 boys '06,'08,&'11
#17 of 17 Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 AM

Yes, I wash my face two times a day to keep it clean and pimple free. It is better to wash or cleanse our face in a regular basis to avoid skin problems. Use a natural or mild facial wash when washing your face, and avoid using harsh soaps. Don't wash your face over 2 times a day.

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page