Anyone else use a sea sponge during menstruation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I tried diva cup (didn't like it) and I am not a pads kind of girl.
In the past I bought one of those soft sea sponges from whole foods (or the local co-op when i lived where there was one) and cut it up and used bits of the sponge as a sort of tampon. One good sized sea sponge would last up to two years!
Well, whole foods stopped carrying the sponges. I found the same sponge in the art store. I haven't bought one since and I have yet to have a postpartum visit from Aunt Flo. I am wondering where I will buy one of these sponges again. I suspect that since these sponges are so durable they are just not flying off the shelves and that is why they are hard to find. The ones from the art store were not the same quality (thinner, more texture, less substance) as the ones from whole foods (for body care) but did the job.
I have tried using something more sustainable like a vegetable sponge and it smelled though it got the job done.
I may buy a sea sponge from an online retailer (since i make it last i am not worried about being wasteful) but I would love to know what kind of sponges other sponge users prefer.

Born August1982. Love/Marriage May2003/June2010. Home birth for daughter March2013.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I wanted to sub onto this thread. I love this idea! If I may ask, do you wash the used sponge out and reuse or throw away after use?

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 5 Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

@3lilchunklins I wash it out and reuse it every time. If I am out I have a wetbag or container for a used one and I pop in a new one. It is best inserted if it is rinsed and squeezed (damp). At home I just lean over to the sink while sitting on the toilet, rinse it, squeeze it out and reuse it. Each sponge piece gets used for several cycles (maybe three or four) and each whole sponge can yield about 6 sponges more or less. It has been the most comfortable and most effective idea for catching menstrual blood that I have tried. I will continue to use it until I come across something better!

ETA: I also wash my sponges out with Dr. Bronners between cycles and store them in a container that is not air-tight

Born August1982. Love/Marriage May2003/June2010. Home birth for daughter March2013.

#4 of 5 Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Not as economical, but Gladrags sells them for this purpose (or used to). Best feminine product ever, IMO. The freedom of a tampon, but way, way more comfortable.
#5 of 5 Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I can't get into the idea of putting a dead animal in my vagina, so I have not tried sponges myself.  I love reusable cups, and I use cloth pads postpartum and sometimes during my period.

Here is a very detailed article about how to use sponges that may help you find where to buy them:

http://www.raisingmyboychick.com/2010/07/sea-pearls-menstrual-sponges-a-review/

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Tags
Natural Body Care

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page