NO-SHAMPOO MAMAS - MAY! Month 4! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 05-04-2004, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starting the new month's thread!!

Question, for those of you doing BS with honey, does it seem to moisturize the hair more?
#2 of 74 Old 05-04-2004, 09:54 AM

Well this was only week two for me and I had a small set back on Saturday. I tried using a little more ACV than in the passed because my curly hair was being to feel like a matted mess and bugging me. Well dh opened the door to the bathroom after I got out of the shower and said "Can you smell that? Oh gross it's your hair, it stinkes all the up stairs." Needless to say back in the shower I went. So until I read back through all the posts the ACV is out and I'm useing a tiny bit of regular condition but still no poo.
#3 of 74 Old 05-04-2004, 10:02 AM

#4 of 74 Old 05-04-2004, 10:04 AM

okay, I curled my hair two days ago and put some natural "pure" brand hair fixitive in it.

It stayed pretty nice for 2-3 days without doing anything ! Better then when I don't curl it and put junk in it!
:LOL
#5 of 74 Old 05-04-2004, 06:35 PM

I'm doing okay, but DH has gotten some major dry scalp problems! Any suggestions? I'm ready to branch out from our bs/acv routine. We have that down--- its time to experiment!

Kay

#6 of 74 Old 05-04-2004, 10:25 PM

Hi Kay, I'm like you, I might try something a little different soon. I haven't been on this thread since around Jan--wow, shampoo free since Jan! Wahoo!
I have to say, my hair has never been shinier. It's like there is no more residue in it. I do like to do the bs/acv wash about every 3-4 days, and I have a good system down now that seems to work well. I'm happy! I just need a change in style now though I think, or I might grow it out.
#7 of 74 Old 05-04-2004, 11:46 PM

well things are going pretty good for me. I am getting ready to add some color to my hair...doing it myself so cross your fingers. the instructions say to not wash the day that you are doing it. However my roots tend to get really greasy after a day or so of not washing (wish bs of course) and I was wondering if you think this would affect how the color takes to my hair. I might wash in the morning and then do the coloring tomorrow night so there is some time between.
#8 of 74 Old 05-05-2004, 10:19 PM

Enlighten please. What is bs and acv?

I'm curious.
#9 of 74 Old 05-06-2004, 02:12 AM

Hi I'm Ryan and I've been only using BS and ACV since Jan I wash my hair with it only once a week, but as its getting longer I'm going to have to start doing it more. To answer the question BS = Baking Soda and ACV = Apple Cider Vinager. I also use the Burts Bees Avocado Hair treatment after the BS & ACV and it works well to recondition. I have seen a little of the dry scalp thing when I don't use the Burts Avocado stuff, so you may try that.
#10 of 74 Old 05-06-2004, 04:30 AM

Yes, the honey seems to add a small amount of moisture, imo.

The ppl hating the smell of acv -- try lemon juice, or you know, you can just go without... I've gone without a few times, and it really didn't hurt too much (just makes my hair dryer, which for me isn't such a bad thing sometimes...)

I bought a new brush today (rounded) and already I can tell you that it has made me re-like my hair again -- I flipped up the ends when I dried it, and wow, it was cute again! (Short hair is such a new concept for me -- and the new cut I have, cheekbone length bob with bangs, is very high matinence for me! I'm usually wash-and-wear).

Anyhow, I'm totally chill (happy) with my haircare routine right now -- bs/honey with acv rinse. And the occasional wash with a Lush 'poo bar, for fun I'm even converting people on my belly dance forum

Oh -- and I've been noticing lately how awesome my natural hair color is. It's been ages and ages since my hair was predominantly its own color -- it's really neat, actually! That doesn't stop me from wanting to dye it fuscia or blue, but it is kind of neat to see how much variety there is in my own blonde color
#11 of 74 Old 05-06-2004, 02:28 PM

I tyred Lemon Juice insteasd of ACV, way better! The smell was sooo much better and the shine factor is the same as far as I can tell.
#12 of 74 Old 05-06-2004, 09:20 PM

Questions:

What proportions honey/bs are people using? Do you heat the honey and then stir in the BS or what?

How much lemon juice? Straight or diluted?

I'll look for the Avacado

TIA
Kay

#13 of 74 Old 05-06-2004, 11:01 PM

Wow, I wandered off for a while and the entire board is different!

Anyway. I'm still 'poo free after.... some months now... 3? I think 3.

I still use just BS and ACV (with EOs added, mostly peppermint lately). My hair was getting too dry for a while, but I just backed off on how much BS I was using and that did the trick. My hair's pretty long (hip-length) so sometimes I'll use conditioner on the ends after the BS/ACV treatment.

Everything's going well.... Mostly lately I've been trying to figure out why this all felt so shocking at first... I mean, I still wash my hair, just not with shampoo.
My wife has actually cheated on and off in these 3 months - she says that when she uses shampoo it makes her scalp feel icky, so I know it's still a good thing to be doing (aside from the obvious financial benefits), and it was neat going to the Egyptian Museum's talk on Ancient Toiletries and finding out they used a mixture of BS and salt to wash themselves. We had a good laugh about that.

(I must say, the new board look and features are neat.)
#14 of 74 Old 05-07-2004, 01:18 AM

Kay --

I don't have a set proportion, actually. I'd guesstimate that I use about a tbs of b/s to a few teaspoons of honey... what I really do, tho, is put the b/s in a little glass bowl I have (like a tiny mixing bowl) and then put the honey over the top. I don't heat the honey at all, but I add a little warm water to make a paste...

I'd say the lemon juice should probably be diluted, just like the ACV.

hth!
#15 of 74 Old 05-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
Questions:

What proportions honey/bs are people using? Do you heat the honey and then stir in the BS or what?

How much lemon juice? Straight or diluted?

I'll look for the Avacado

TIA
Kay
I've been doing the no-'poo thing for almost three weeks, and I use lemon juice instead of ACV. I just didn't have the latter in my cupboard at the time! :LOL But it works very well. I use about 2 Tbs. of lemon juice diluted in a big plastic water tumbler. Make sure to rinse well, especially if you're going to be out in the sun. Lemon juice is not kind to the hair if left in.
Isn't it great to have better hair for less?! Yeay, no-'poo!!
warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to 2-yr-old Meg
#16 of 74 Old 05-08-2004, 09:18 PM

i forgot we were on a new month. :LOL
i am going on five months of no poo.
going pretty well, but have noticed a bit more greasy now that the weather is warmer/hot.

no complaints for the most part. just wanted to check in.

#17 of 74 Old 05-08-2004, 09:30 PM

I am off the wagon mamas . I really tried to make it work but my hair smelled like vinegar all the time and was getting greasy again after it being good for awhile and the bs lightened my hair too much so I gave up. Maybe I will try experimenting again in a few months but for now I'm back to 'poo .
#18 of 74 Old 05-09-2004, 08:09 PM

:
and thinking of this. Can anyone tell me how exactly they use the bs?
My hair and scalp tend to be dry and I only shampoo 1-2X per week anyway.
#19 of 74 Old 05-10-2004, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dalai_mama
:
and thinking of this. Can anyone tell me how exactly they use the bs?
My hair and scalp tend to be dry and I only shampoo 1-2X per week anyway.
Some people use it as a paste which they work into dry hair, but that was too drying for me. Here's how I do it: I put probably 1-2 TBSP into a big quart size plastic drink cup, probably erring on the lesser side of that number. I then get in the shower and then once everything is wet, stick the container under the tap and get about 1/2 to 1 cup of water in it, slosh around so that it's a BS solution and then pour on hair slowly while working in with my fingers. Then I give myself a scalp massage like I would if I were using shampoo. I then fill the cup and rinse repeatedly about two to three times, then a quick rinse under the tap with clear water. Then I do the ACV rinse pretty much the same way (without the massage!).
#20 of 74 Old 05-10-2004, 04:17 PM

Going on month 4 of no shampoo- I love it. My hair hasn't looked this good in years. The only problem is dh can't take the vinegar smell- I don't seem to mind it. I dilute the vinegar in a few cups of water so I don't use that much- still smells.

I might try the lemon juice idea- does it make your hair sticky?

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#21 of 74 Old 05-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Kam

not at all--no smell, no stick
#22 of 74 Old 05-10-2004, 08:15 PM

Thanks Tracymom. I shampooed this morning b/c I hadn't gotten back online yet to know what to do :LOL , but as I did I thought, okay, last time for a while! I'll be trying the bs and ACV in a few days.
Rosemary Gladstar's family herbal has recipes for homemade "shampoos". Has anyone used these?
#23 of 74 Old 05-11-2004, 06:43 PM

Hi everyone! I tried this, I dunno, February? March? anyway... I have super oily/greasy hair.
That first week, I thought this was some sort of sick joke to see how long those dirty hippies would go without shampooing their hair. Really, I did.
The second week, I broke down and used regular shampoo - BIG mistake! Yikes!! Itchy, bumpy, chemical burns on my scalp. Not fun, and my hair looked really bad, too.
So, I started alternating BS one day, skip a day, hypo-allergenic olive oil shampoo the next day, skip a day, and on and on...
Now I can go even longer in between, and just very rarely use DD's (very expensive) shampoo! I'm sold on it, and my scalp has never felt healthier! I have never been able to skip a day washing my hair, ever before.
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

I'm using redwine vinegar instead of ACV - it doesn't smell as bad, and seems to work better for my hair.
#24 of 74 Old 05-11-2004, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
Hi everyone! That first week, I thought this was some sort of sick joke to see how long those dirty hippies would go without shampooing their hair. Really, I did.

That would be me, the dirty hippie!
#25 of 74 Old 05-11-2004, 07:36 PM

I'm still here I think I've finally got my routine down pat. I do BS with diluted vinegar rinse maybe once a week. I worry about my hair getting lightened so I use a very little bit and dont let it sit at all. Just dump it on, scrub it in, rinse it out. The day after that, I just wash with water. I do egg once a week. I found I can't do it two days in a row or my hair gets heavy. I ran out of honey and found that just plain egg works great so that's what I do now. A diluted vinegar rinse for that too. The day after I wash with plain water. Also, falling off the bandwagon a tad, I use soap once a week. Not shampoo bar or anything but my natural soap from the health food store that I use on the rest of me (and sometimes I use soap two days instead of the BS). I also use a diluted vinegar rinse for that and just use plain water on my hair the day after. That leaves only one day of the week that I have to figure out. Depending on I have no idea what :LOL I can sometimes go two days with just plain water and still have great hair. I make the decision before I get in the shower

I used the soap out of desperation one day. I've been no poo since Feb and in the beginning it was awesome. Pretty much all of April though my hair was driving me nuts. Maybe the weather change where I am? Anyway, one day I broke down and soaped my hair and then realized what is the big deal? My goal for no poo is avoiding artificial chemicals and avoiding high price tags so this soap fits in with that.

Oh, and I read on here that someone was using white vinegar so I gave it a try. Works great! I only use brands that are made from grains, not petroleum (Shoprite brand and Heinz). I'm sticking with white. Actually I think it's funny so many people like ACV. I have tried ACV, red wine vinegar, white vinegar and balsamic and I have to say I thought the ACV was the stinkiest :LOL I guess it's a personal taste thing

Even when I wasn't happy with my hair I have to say my scalp has never been healthier. I am finding it incredible that the poo that was supposed to be cleaning my hair and scalp was what was actually CAUSING the greasy itchies I used to get on a regular basis! At the very least, if I just went to a soap bar for my hair (with vinegar rinse to get out the residue) I think it would be far better than poo was. I'm so disillusioned. What else am I ignorant about? :LOL (no, don't tell me, I don't wanna know!).
#26 of 74 Old 05-12-2004, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneburh
stylist was amazed that the texture of my hair had so completely changed. It went from coarse to much smoother and silkier. And not just the new growth so it wasn't from pregnancy.
OK. that did it for me. I used to have lovely, soft, shiny hair & now it is frizzy and awful. It is fine, but wavy--darn near curly if I let it dry naturally. But I have a lot of it. It is chin length now & I may or may not be growing it out.

It is dry, so I only wash it 2-3 times a week, anyway.

I tried BS and ACV a few days ago & DH said a couple times how nice it looked and how soft it felt. I haven't told him what I had done yet!

Oh-- a request--as has been mentioned a few times, the no poo threads are SO overwhelming to weed through. Is there anyway we can have a "STICKY" at the top of this forum with some basic no poo strategies? As in the compost 101 sticky in the gardening forum???

Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD: Not that I meant to compare no poo-ing to compost!!!!

PS--has this already been mentioned?? The hairstylist on TLC's "What Not To Wear" says he only washes his hair every 3 months!!
#27 of 74 Old 05-12-2004, 04:53 PM

nak
i just heard on the news that research done on shampoo shows that DEA-TEA in poo blocks choline absorption. the tests show that these ingredients rob the brains ability to make memory cells-especially in children.
they suggest upping choline intake during pregnancy and for children.
I say 'GO NO POO'! in case anyone needs a reaally good reason to go no poo.
love, Laura-no poo since Jan. 2004
#28 of 74 Old 05-12-2004, 05:34 PM

Can I join you guys? I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but I couldn't face the greasy detox time at work. But I'm no longer working, so yay! I think I may 'poo for my wedding in a few weeks, but after that, I'm totally back to no 'poo. And if all is well, I just very well may not 'poo for my wedding.

Questions: How long was your greasy detox time? I'm anticipating a couple weeks of grossness. I have really greasy hair. I have been able to cut down on that a little bit by not shampooing as much, but if I go for more than a couple days... grease city!

I have already tried the BS and ACV wash once, and it was nice, but my hair felt heavy the next day. It was nice and soft though. It also took on this cool reddish cast.

Anyway, looking forward to joining you guys!
#29 of 74 Old 05-12-2004, 06:00 PM

I never actually stopped washing my hair for long enough to go into the greasies -- i'm using my b/s mixture every other day... sometimes i go for 3 days and get greasies, but then I just wash it...

I'm getting an estimate from a friend-of-a-friend tomorrow on getting my hair dreaded (and adding dread extensions). Yay! Oh how I hope she's able to give me a little price break!
#30 of 74 Old 05-12-2004, 07:26 PM

Alexis: So by "wash", you mean BS/ACV, not 'poo, right?

See, with me, I did the BS/ACV, and my hair was greasy the next day... felt like I had gone one day without poo, rather than 3 or 4 by that point. (It was winter, and I poo every other day in winter, but instead of poo, I did BS, and that made it 3 days)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page