Sea sponge tampons: concerns about pollutants in sea water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sidrajedi

#1 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sea sponge tampons: concerns about pollutants in sea water?

I'm looking in to switching to sea sponge tampons, but something someone posted here in another thread got me thinking. Should I be concerned about how polluted the oceans are that these sponges are coming from? I mean...my gut feeling is that if I'm not afraid to eat fish (I'm not), why should I be afraid of putting a sponge into my body that comes from the same waters. Especially when the alternative, disposable tampons, have so many other scary aspects to them.

Thoughts?
#2 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The arrival of sea sponge tampons in my life was also the arrival of yeast infections in my life.
I did not like them, I changed to a menstrual cup quickly afterwards and am now back on organic cotton tampons (with no applicators).

I really felt strongly about being natural and reducing waste, but I couldn't get rid of my yeast infections and had never had them before.
Now I haven't had a yeast infection in almost ten years, knock on wood.

I don't know anything about contaminants in our sea water affecting the sea sponges, but yeah, I wouldn't use them for reasons mentioned above.
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was also looking at trying the sea sponges. The GladRags site says that they sanitize them with hydrogen peroxide.

#4 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've used a sea sponge for years. I love it. I would reccomend it to anyone.

I am not prone to yeast infections but I grew up with frequent UTIs. Sea sponges did not effect me negatively or positively in that regard but diet has.

I buy a big "beauty" sea sponge from whole foods and cut it down. To about half the size of my fist or a little smaller.

I tried boiling to sanitize and it shrunk the sponge a little but other than that was okay. I may have boiled it a tad longer than necessary to sanitize it though.

I don't work in a lab or anything but I am more afraid of the pollutants in my bath than I am of swimming at the beach and I still take a bath once a week. I don't sweat it.

The waste and the chemicals of disposable menstrual products make a sponge the lesser of the two evils IMO.

I would use a cup but I found them uncomfortable and they didn't last very long before I had to dump them on my heavy days. I tried the cups before I had a baby though so maybe I should give it a shot again? I'm just so happy with my sea sponge I can't talk myself into buying another cup and trying it again!
CountryGirl916 likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thank you, @sidrajedi . I found a website that has different ways to clean them: http://www.fresh-moon.com/category_7/Sea-Sponges.php

#6 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The sponge is a "lesser evil" than chlorine-bleached rayon disposable tampons, or even organic cotton disposable tampons, but it has greater environmental impact and health concerns than a reusable menstrual cup. I love my cup--read all about it here!
http://articles.earthlingshandbook.o...ual-cup-mania/

Another thing to consider is that sea sponges are animals. If you feel strongly about animal rights, or if you are squicked by the idea of putting a dead animal in your vagina, maybe you'd prefer another option.

Sanitizing with hydrogen peroxide is great for killing germs, but it may not remove chemicals that were floating around in the ocean. Still, the risk of any of those chemicals being anything dangerous enough and present in large enough quantities to affect your health probably isn't any higher than the risk when eating fish, as noted above. Toxic Shock Syndrome is probably more of a worry--the sponge can grow bacteria in the same way as tampons, and might be able to do it more effectively when reused. Menstrual cups are lower risk because they aren't absorbent.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page