2Likes
  • 1 Post By crazyms
  • 1 Post By pumabearclan

#1 of 8 Old 07-05-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no-poo styling questions

So I've read all about the no-poo method and think I'd like to try it but I don't want to go all natural with other products. So if I styled and had to set my hair with a bunch of products, would I then need to shampoo it that day even if I washed it the day before? Or does a good brushing with a boar bristle brush and just rinsing with water do the trick for next few days till I would shampoo again? It just seems like most people I've read about seem to go 3-7 days without shampooing the hair.

I also dye my hair and am curious if you have to treat your hair differently in the days/weeks after when you dye it because of all the chemicals that are going in there when you're hair is not used to that anymore. This is further complicated because if I dye my hair I absolutely have to get a clarifying treatment because my hair won't take dye without it because of meds I'm on I think. And clarifying treatments strip the hair so I'm thinking that's bad because its stripping that nice coat of oil you have on the hair. So for people who do this kind of stuff does the hair recover pretty quickly or do you face several weeks of transition time like when people first start this washing method?

Thanks
#2 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Okay not to be fussy but why would you want to no poo but not use natural methods for styling products and dying? It seems kinda counterproductive and I'm not sure how well that would work. Most people find that no-pooing is beneficial in needing less styling products to keep your hair styled and natural methods can be cheap, easy to make and work great. There are tons of options! Henna is a great natural way to color and is a great conditioner too. I'm not sure how well it's going to work for you to no poo your hair then style it with commercial products and chemically dye it. Not saying it won't work just don't know how well it'll go with getting out of the transition phase.

I really liked this blog in particular on the no poo issue:
http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/dir...-truth-no-poo/
She has a 4 part series on hair care that talks about options for no poo washing, conditioning and again on natural hair coloring here:
http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/nat...al-hair-color/

Very informative with options to customize for your own needs and the hair color post talks about ways to help your hair take the dye and keep it as well as what/how to dye and options for that too.

I like this one as well. She also has a 4 part series on building a hair care regimen:
http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/no-m...a-new-regimen/
You can also look around on her blog at other posts on no poo and hair care plus the link on the right side for 'henna' has posts talking about deep conditioning and hair dye.

Hope this helps.
pumabearclan likes this.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I would change your hairstyle so that you don't have so many styling/dying issues. Dreads, cornrows, crewcut/mohawk/quiff-undercut, pixie... These are all low-maintenance hairstyles that will minimize the visual impact of grey hair and will not require a lot of washing & conditioning.
#4 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
Okay not to be fussy but why would you want to no poo but not use natural methods for styling products and dying? It seems kinda counterproductive and I'm not sure how well that would work. Most people find that no-pooing is beneficial in needing less styling products to keep your hair styled and natural methods can be cheap, easy to make and work great. There are tons of options! Henna is a great natural way to color and is a great conditioner too. I'm not sure how well it's going to work for you to no poo your hair then style it with commercial products and chemically dye it. Not saying it won't work just don't know how well it'll go with getting out of the transition phase.

I really liked this blog in particular on the no poo issue:
http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/dir...-truth-no-poo/
She has a 4 part series on hair care that talks about options for no poo washing, conditioning and again on natural hair coloring here:
http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/nat...al-hair-color/

Very informative with options to customize for your own needs and the hair color post talks about ways to help your hair take the dye and keep it as well as what/how to dye and options for that too.

I like this one as well. She also has a 4 part series on building a hair care regimen:
http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/no-m...a-new-regimen/
You can also look around on her blog at other posts on no poo and hair care plus the link on the right side for 'henna' has posts talking about deep conditioning and hair dye.

Hope this helps.
Well to answer your question I am interested in the no-poo method as a means to an end not and because I want to avoid chemicals. I have an itchy scalp because of buildup and a lot of hair falling out. Thank you for the links on natural dying but I have fine red hair which is the hardest to work with. The one time I tried to dye it myself it turned purple-pink and I had to go to the salon to have it bleached and dyed again so I will never again have a non-professional dye my hair.

I figure if this solves the problems I do have I can at least try to keep the rest of my routine the same which is demi-permanent dye twice a year and occasional intricate hairstyles which require a lot of product, but most of the time I don't use much if anything at all.
#5 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabearclan View Post
I would change your hairstyle so that you don't have so many styling/dying issues. Dreads, cornrows, crewcut/mohawk/quiff-undercut, pixie... These are all low-maintenance hairstyles that will minimize the visual impact of grey hair and will not require a lot of washing & conditioning.
Thank you, but I have no intention of changing my hair style and what not. I am not considering this to simplify my routine. I enjoy having long hair and it is not hard for me to deal with. Usually I wear it up but there are occasions where I need something fancy and with my texture that involves a lot of product. I don't have grays to cover up I just like my dulled red hair to look the same color it did as a child.

Thanks everyone for your input but I'm really looking for someone who has been doing this method for awhile who still occasionally dyes their hair to answer my questions because I am not interested in changing any other part of my routine. I am only interested in no-poo because of the scalp buildup I have and to reduce the number of hairs falling out.
#6 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 04:18 PM

OK, JaneDoe. Just to mention that our hair doesn't always do what we want it to do, it doesn't look or behave the way we did when we were younger. Just something to consider. I think that women's bodies change a great deal throughout our lives due to hormonal fluctuations and stages and that cooperating with and accepting ourselves as we are without a great deal of intervention can be liberating and results in the best beauty, which is natural. This is just my opinion, of course. But from what I've seen on mothering.com the women here are looking for wellness over beauty, so that is likely to be the sort of advice you will receive here. So that means changing a hairstyle or dying and styling routine in order to achieve healthy scalp & thus healthy hair, as the routine and situation that you are describing is not healthy, as you are aware from your hair falling out and the residue that you are describing.

I hope that you find a solution that satisfies.

Best wishes,
Puma
crazyms likes this.
#7 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Okay your original post didn't mention the hair loss and scalp irritation being your reason for wanting to no poo.

This part stands out to me though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe35r View Post
I also dye my hair and am curious if you have to treat your hair differently in the days/weeks after when you dye it because of all the chemicals that are going in there when you're hair is not used to that anymore.
If you're using chemical dyes and commercial products in your hair still it is still going to be "used to" that kind of treatment. Simply washing with no poo method isn't going to make a change to your hair if you're keeping everything else you do to it the same and conventional, chemical.

As puma said most here are looking for wellness and changing to improve lives instead of maintaining a mainstream approach to beauty. If you'd like to keep everything just as you have it then I'd suggest talking with your stylist about options for your issues. I have many friends that are (mainstream) hairstylists and they're very informative and helpful. I'm sure your stylist can help you find a new approach to help you. As it is cleaning with baking soda and/or acv does remove the chemical residue from your hair and is often suggested for pageant girls, cheerleaders, etc to get the excess product out of their hair after a performance. Deep conditioning treatments can help soothe the scalp and assist with irritation. Honestly if you want to keep going with chemicals a consult with a stylist for remedies is your best bet as the no poo method isn't going to do anything for you. Every time you reapply chemicals to your hair will restart the process and thus transition. Good luck!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#8 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Sometimes stress can result in hair loss so perhaps this isn't about your styling and dyeing products.

For scalp care you can add a few drops of tea tree or peppermint essential oil to your shampoo or conditioner and massage gently. Just don't get it in your eyes

Tags
no-poo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page