Is there a natural treatment or cure for dandruff?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is there a natural treatment or cure for dandruff??

I have had dandruff on and off for a long time. Over the years I've tried various shampoos and ACV and the only thing that ever really works is the shampoos with fungicides in them (by prescription). The OTC regular shampoos (like Head & Shoulders) don't help and the ACV rinse, while it helps a little, never really cured it. It always seems to come back and sometimes with a vengeance. I have no idea what triggers the dandruff and why it's worse sometimes. I would love to find a natural remedy that really works because I don't like putting fungicides in my hair regularly. However, when the dandruff is bad it's really bad and I can't let it go untreated. I would also be curious what the root cause is (fungus as far as I know) and if there's a more holistic cure like diet. Please share your tips, knowledge and experience, much appreciated

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe try T/Gel dandruff shampoo, it uses coal tar as the main ingredient, should be safer than the antifungals.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oh I used to use that when I lived in the States....but I live in Germany now and they don't have that here, unfortunately :-(
Thanks though

ETA: I just saw I could order it online from the UK. Including shipping it's expensive, but would still be cheaper (or same price as) the pharmaceutical-grade one I've been using. Guess I can try that next.....

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 07-27-2014, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I don't really know anything about dandruff but I found a few things that may be helpful to you.

This guy is talking about using natural shampoos to help although I'm sure you've tried this I'll include his article anyways: http://amazingy.com/magazine/get-rid...f-itchy-scalp/

Do you get enough omega 6 and omega 3's? This article by Mercola talks about the cause and says that omega 3/6 deficiencies can make dandruff worse. If that's possible I'd start with a quality krill or fish oil supplement like Nordic Naturals or something. : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...lp-fungus.aspx

Some other sites like MedicineNet, MayoClinic and such have lists of possible causes and treatments. They do mention OTC anti-fungal creams may help - have you looked into natural anti-fungal creams? Something that would be similar to Cortisone 10 and see if it would help?

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 08-08-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can use apple cider vinegar and mint leaves to cure dandruff. Apple cider vinegar known for its cleansing benefits while mint leaves can have some cooling effect. Put the apple cider vinegar in a spray container and add some mint leaves. Leave it for about 24 hours and spray it to your scalp and hair. Leave for about 15 minutes then wash it off.

User Tag List