• 1 Post By gooseberry
  • 1 Post By CountryGirl916
  • 2 Post By EnviroBecca

#1 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post Using cloth pads--at work?

I am interested in making the switch to using cloth pads. However, one thing gives me pause: using them at work. Has anyone done this? How can it be done discreetly?
#2 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do it. I use GladRags, and the kit I bought (6 years ago!) came with a zip bag, and within that bag a little sleeve-like bag. I take fresh pads to work and put the used ones in the sleeve and rinse when I get home. Everything is zipped up in the bag. In looking at their website now, they sell a slightly different version:

http://gladrags.com/product/255/GladRags-Carry-Bag.html

I'm sure if you look at other brands' websites, they'll have travel solutions as well.
pumabearclan likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
You can also use silicon menstrual cups, which are very discreet and effective.
#4 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thank you for sharing the Glad Rags site. I tried the Instead Soft cup but I couldn't place it right and it would leak. I'm kinda interested in trying the sea sponges.
pumabearclan likes this.

#5 of 8 Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I used cloth pads at work after uterine surgeries. I used a nylon zippered bag similar to what Gooseberry described.

Instead Softcup is a very different shape and stiffness from a reusable cup. It works in a really different way and is nowhere near as effective or comfortable for me as the Diva Cup or the Keeper I previously had.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#6 of 8 Old 08-02-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Luna works well and comes in 2 sizes.

I didn't realize the Instead cup is different from other types.
#7 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use a very small (could hold MAYBE two diapers, tops) wet bag meant for diapers. I keep it and the clean pad in my purse whenever I go anywhere during my period. While I work I just switch out during the middle of the day. It has never been an issue and the wet bag I picked is so pretty I think people assume it is just a small purse.

3 boys '06,'08,&'11
#8 of 8 Old 09-03-2014, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have used cloth pads or cups for ages now and used both at work and at the university. It is really not a problem. For the cloth pads there are bags to buy or make yourself but I just used a system of two plastic bags for the old ones (no smell or leak for all the years I used cloth pads) and a small toiletry case for the fresh ones. For the cup you do not need anything but the cup and the little bag that usually comes with them when you order until you start your period, then the cup is inside you and you just empty it in the toilet when you go. I have used a water bottle or pee to clean it if I have been in a toilet that does not have sinks. My current work place has toilets with a sink and a toilet in a small room so there is really nothing different from the toilet at home so there I rinse it in the sink.

As for cups not fitting, try to research which one is "your" cup there are very different, some are hard and some are soft and they differ in size and length too. I need a soft cup and I have up until recently used the Lady Cup and I am now using the Lunette. The Lady Cup is very soft while the Lunette is soft but a little harder. I find they both work for me. If you cannot find a good cup in the US it is actually worth the effort of trying to order it from abroad as they last for a long time and a good cup is worth a lot. The Lady Cup is from Czech Republic and the Lunette is a Finish product. Within the EU they are easy to order but I don't know how common they are in the US. Here for example the Diva Cup is a bit harder to come by which seems more common in the US.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page