Mothering Forum banner

Homemade Deodorant advice?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ethelpea 
#1 ·
I'm looking into natural deodorant. I'd really like to try something that doesn't exist: probiotic & diatomaceous earth (with no baking soda). It's very hard to find probiotic deo without baking soda. There is a DE deo that I may be able to mix my own probiotics into, but it's currently got a 2 week wait just for shipments, and it is a bit on the pricey side.

I'm seriously considering making my own. I've found loads of recipes, I'll probably try tweaking and experimenting a little bit to figure out what works. Has anyone made their own deodorant? What worked/what didn't?

One question is on essential oils. I don't have any and have been meaning to buy some for awhile. Does anyone have suggestions on those?

#3 ·
I didn't try to make my own deodorant but I am interested to do it. I like to have some ideas on how to make a chemical free deodorant that is effective and smells nice. For now, I am an anti perspirant deodorant that smells nice and clean. I also like to use deodorant that has tea scents.

#4 ·
I use a body spray of vodka with about 1/6 portion essential oils.

Guidance for essential oils for this application is that it doesn't stain & is antibacterial.

Go with a clear oil like rosemary, lavender, tea tree, mint. Apply 1-4 times a day.

Keep stress low. Stress hormones are mostly responsible for that "BO" smell.

#5 ·
Posting so I can follow this thread. I used to love Tom's of Maine Calendula deodorant, but they changed their formula a few years ago to add Hops and I don't like it as much. I haven't found anything that I like better, though, that costs under $10!

Curious why you want both DE and probiotics. Wouldn't the DE shred those little probios into dead smithereens? Hmmm. I'm thinking essential oils would kill the probiotics too.

Maybe an apple cider vinegar spray with essential oils? I have done that for my hair and the vinegar smell goes away when my hair dries. I wonder if that would be the same for my underarms?

Will let you know!

#6 ·
I don't think that probiotics is terrible important for underarms. I think probiotics is more an internal issue. Sweat and excretions in the lymph areas are basically waste products, so the best option is to clean & disinfect frequently. The more you can keep your lymph areas clean the better for your organs, esp kidneys.

I also wipe down during the day with cloths, using herbal tinctures, infusions, or just warm water in addition to spraying.

The essential oils applied to underarms & groin support the health of the lymph glands in those areas, especially if they are massaged.

#7 ·
(I just eyeball stuff) coconut oil, baking soda, essential oil, squirt of magnesium oil. Maybe a couple tbsp. each of coconut oil and baking soda and a few drops of essential oil. I make enough to fill a little pudding dish. Maybe add equal amounts of cornstarch in there too. I've done that in the past. Magnesium oil is great stuff, plus you'd be getting something beneficial as it absorbs into your system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.