Please help me get rancid massage oil smell out of towels - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2002, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every night Dd gets her sweet almond oil massage, and a rubdown with an organic cotton towel. Some months ago I noticed the towels all smell like rancid oil, like the massage oil never washed out of them and went bad. Eyukky to smell and oooky on Dd's skin.

I've used hot water, heavy wash cycle, but have been hesitant to go to anything other than my biocleen-vinegar-borax mixture for washing. I don't want to get any other nasty residues on these towels.

Any suggestions?
#2 of 5 Old 06-12-2002, 02:15 AM
Banned

Have you tried washing them in dish soap first? It removes grease and oil. Just make sure all the dish soap is rinsed out if you use a washing machine before putting them in the washer.
#3 of 5 Old 06-12-2002, 10:20 AM

Citra-solv will do the trick! It dissolves grease/oil and has a great orange scent. Bi-o-kleen cleaner/degreaser would probably also work.
#4 of 5 Old 06-12-2002, 02:22 PM

ditto the citr-solv....when i had my massage practice that's what i added to every loadof sheets i washed.
#5 of 5 Old 06-15-2002, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got the citrusolve, but I also got washing soda because I wanted to make some of the cleaners described in the last issue of Mothering.

I had Dd in the sling and I was afraid of splashing her with the citrusolve when I pulled the paper off the top of the bottle, and I saw that washing soda said "cuts grease." So I used that, and things really improved.

I am now armed with grease-cutters. Dh wants to take Dd to auto mechanic classes (well not this year I don't think), but I'll be ready.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page