What? No June NO-SHAMPOO thread? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 83 Old 06-07-2004, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Shame on you slothful mamas! Must all be off fondling your baking soda boxes!

Well, I just wanted someplace to gush about how great my hair is (I'm a little over 2 months no-poo). DH is going around telling everyone I threw away my shampoo and making me show them my hair. He says it's never looked better and I must say I agree. I have quite long hair and now it's thick, strong, and glossy. The constant breakage has stopped. When I'm combing & hit a snag, the individual hairs snap back with a ping! like elastic instead of breaking.

I finally settled on bs, honey & rosemary oil to wash with and a tiny bit of cedar-scented acv in water to rinse with. Usually I follow that with strong chamomile tea which I don't rinse off. Alexis, I don't find that the honey makes me greasier -- it seems to provide the extra body & strength. When I was using plain bs, my hair was shiny & soft but real fine. (When I was using poo, my hair was very oily.)

When I threw away the poo I also started washing only once a week (I rinse a couple times with plain water in between). It's been interesting to watch my hair change -- it's gone gradually from being oily at the scalp, straw-dry at the tips to a more even oil distribution. It also looks better longer after each wash -- by the end of the week it's not fantastic but it doesn't look like you'd expect week-unwashed hair to look, either. Days 3-7 I wear it in a braid or something, it does get a little limp. I can tell things aren't done changing, either. It was kind of cool to see the changes other people have told about happening to my hair.

How's everybody else doing? Any newcomers to the flock?
#2 of 83 Old 06-07-2004, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
Shame on you slothful mamas! Must all be off fondling your baking soda boxes!

:LOL

I like that honey idea, mine is still very fine. Hmm.....I just did mine yesterday so it'll be the end of the week before I wash with BS again.....darn.

Still lovin' it! The May thread kept dropping and after a few bumps I figured everybody was happily no-pooing w/o support! :nana:
#3 of 83 Old 06-07-2004, 11:42 PM

Boy, I really wanted to suds up this morning. But I didn't. I used bs and acv rinse.

I love the way it feels after a few days but right after wash day it's very dry. I need to try the egg/olive oil treatment.

Oh, and I love not having itchies.

My dh likes the way it smells. That's an added bonus, too.
#4 of 83 Old 06-08-2004, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I have a question for class discussion

I know the reason shampoo'd hair gets so greasy so fast is because the poo strips it of too much oil & the scalp overproduces to compensate. But when I wash with bs & honey, usually my hair *squeaks* in the way I understood meant it was too stripped. It doesn't get nasty & greasy like with poo though and as I said I can tell my hair's changing for the better. Soooo what's going on? Does the squeak not mean overstripping after all, or is there something else going on that makes that degree of stripping OK with the bs & honey? I'm trying to determine the length of time to leave on the bs mixture long enough to get my hair clean without the squeak, but since I only wash once a week it might take a while.

Let the revolution continue!
#5 of 83 Old 06-08-2004, 07:14 PM

I've mostly been lazy and using my Lush shampoo bar instead of the baking soda/ honey mixture... for some reason, in this weather, it does a little bit better that way (OK, the best is to wash it with both, using the lemon bar after the bs mixture, but did I mention I'm getting lazy??? :LOL)

Anyway, I hate my hair right now... nothing to do with it's condition (I do think it looks and feels a million times better) but b/c I haven't dyed it in so long and the color is BLAH and the haircut I got makes me look very plain... sad. I can't wait for the bangs to grow out and for it to stop feeling so horribly plain!

Until then, I feel like walking around like this: : But mostly, I'm using my wool pony tail dreads more... if only those didn't pull at my scalp, and I wasn't so lazy (:LOL) I would put them in everyday!

Now back to packing... which is why I'm so lazy, I haven't time for anything else other than moving!
#6 of 83 Old 06-08-2004, 07:35 PM

how much honey do you use? Do you mix it with the BS?
#7 of 83 Old 06-08-2004, 07:40 PM

1-2 tbs baking soda to about 2 tsps or so of honey (might be more).

I mix this all together with a little bit of water and voila! Hair, face and body wash!
#8 of 83 Old 06-08-2004, 10:15 PM

alright, I've got to ask....I'm not a converter yet but...

I've got really curly (usually frizzy) hair. How will not shampooing help me?

Also, what is the acv rinse you're all talking about? How do you all go about your new hair regimen w/o shampoo??
#9 of 83 Old 06-09-2004, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

I use about 1/4 c honey, mix to a thick paste with bs, add 2 drops rosemary oil & a tbsp or so of really hot water (so it fizzes). This size batch might well be overkill though. I just always worry that I won't be able to distribute a smaller amount all over my scalp.

I rinsed with plain water today & noticed that rinsing makes more of a difference in how clean my hair feels than it used to.

Becky, my hair's straight but it was frizzy too and it isn't now. I will leave the curly part for someone with curly hair but I believe a book was mentioned called Curly Girl that recommended not shampooing. Shampoo, yes all shampoo, is a very harsh detergent that overdries hair, which is just what already-frizzy hair doesn't need. Try a search on the phrase "no-shampoo" and skim the other months' threads.

Used some lemon balm eo tonight and mmmmm it smells yummy.
#10 of 83 Old 06-09-2004, 02:16 AM

I used the baking soda/ honey mix tonight exclusively and rinsed with ACV So far it feels great!

Maybe I will try changing the ratio of honey to baking soda... I think this no 'pooing thing is most fun when it's experimental!

(PS -- on the topic of my on-going hair blah woes, my neighbor says he wants to see me go candy apple red! I may think on it... That would at least give me a color shakeup!)
#11 of 83 Old 06-09-2004, 02:34 PM

: You guys have got another convert. It's been 7 days, I think I'm gonna like this

hola.gifElena ~  loving mom to  Alexander 8 fencing.gif Christopher 5.

#12 of 83 Old 06-09-2004, 05:20 PM

Hey gals! You've got a convert here! I tried bs with water to wash my thick oily hair this morning, followed with lime juice diluted with water. My hair is so soft! I thought for sure it would either still be oily/heavy or stripped dry/puffy (that's what shampoo does to it). But, instead, it's soft! ?! WOW! I tried lime juice b/c I hate the smell of vinegar.

I'm so excited to be in on this thread! Should I try honey? It sounds like that's for fine hair, but I don't have that... I don't want this bushel getting any thicker!

Heidi
#13 of 83 Old 06-09-2004, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welovedante
I'm so excited to be in on this thread! Should I try honey? It sounds like that's for fine hair, but I don't have that... I don't want this bushel getting any thicker!

Heidi
Even after 4-5 months, I still look at this as an experiment, so I would say, Yeah, go for it, why not?

BTW, the original reason I started using the honey with the b/s is that it is supposed to be good for dandruf. I can't say mine has gone away, but it certainly hasn't gotten really bad!
#14 of 83 Old 06-09-2004, 08:22 PM

Hmmm, maybe I'll give honey a whirl next time. Tomorrow's my birthday, and I'm excited to have happy looking hair for my 30th! Yay!

What do you all use on your body, soap? Or is there some alternative to soap, the way baking soda is an alternative to shampoo? Currently, I use Dr. Bronner's...
#15 of 83 Old 06-09-2004, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welovedante
What do you all use on your body, soap? Or is there some alternative to soap, the way baking soda is an alternative to shampoo? Currently, I use Dr. Bronner's...
There was a thread on this awhile back. I use my baking soda/ honey mix actually! I just make enough paste for the hair, the pits (feet if I need it) and my face... slather it on dry, then rinse off in the bath! Easy-peasy
#16 of 83 Old 06-09-2004, 11:07 PM

I fell off the no poo wagon and after a little while back on poo my hair is trashed : it looked great for a little while but now it's back to constantly tangled, breaking, oily and flaky scalp.

Maybe I need to try honey or rosemary oil because I had problems with just bs and acv by itself wasn't enough. The bs caused my hair to lighten but only in some spots so it looked really weird, and the acv by itself didn't clean enough.

Can I make my own rosemary oil with olive oil and fresh rosemary? I'd like to go back to no poo! TIA
#17 of 83 Old 06-10-2004, 12:16 PM

try honey!

And you may be a good candidate for the egg wash, too -- I didn't like it myself, but some people love it!

And yes -- to make rosemary oil, just put the fresh rosemary in the oil and let it sit for a few days to a week or so and let it stew... but that ISN'T the same thing as rosemary EO, just to let you know
#18 of 83 Old 06-10-2004, 04:22 PM

Hi Guys!

It's been a month no-pooing for me! For the poster who asked earlier I have curly hair that was frizzy before I stopped pooing. Sometimes I still use a little "Pumping Curls" on it but it is getting to the point I don't even need to do that. My routine is about 2 tablespoons of backing soda mixed with about 1 cup of water (paste was too drying for me). I step into the shower and pour the BS/Water mix over my head before I get me hair wet inthe shower. Rub head and hair as if I was using poo. There will be a little bit of bs on my hands and I use this for a quick face scrub to wash my face (yes, in the past I would use poo to wash my face : ) Rince the bs out really well. Next I mix one capful of Apple Cider Vinager (ACV) in about 1 cup of water. I pour it over my hair and rinse out really well. Sometimes I will use about 2 tablespoons of limon jucie in 1 cup of water but I'm out at the moment. (The lemon juice is in replacement of ACV.)

Hope this hepled anyone just starting out. I love to read how people are doing and the different recipes they have tried.
#19 of 83 Old 06-10-2004, 04:31 PM

Wow! I think that this might be just what I am looking for. My hair gets so oily after one day. I mean, I *have* to shampoo it in the morning or else it is all greasy by the afternoon. That darn 'poo!! (also I love calling it "poo")

I am going to try to BS/honey mixture tonight and the ACV in the morning.

You ladies are always thinking of nice things to try!

Your latest convert,
Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#20 of 83 Old 06-10-2004, 04:35 PM

Alexis- thanks for answering my questions . Does anyone that mentions they use rosemary oil- are you all talking rosemary EOs or homemade oil?
#21 of 83 Old 06-10-2004, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I mean rosemary EO. I couldn't go putting a bunch of carrier-type oil in my hair. If I wanted to infuse rosemary into something from scratch, I'd probably make a strong tea. Or I might infuse the herb straight into my acv, or into vodka & add a shot of that to water for my final rinse (vodka's supposed to make hair very shiny; I heard a rumor a while back that it's what they use on the Pantene models' hair : ).

Anyway, if it's a budget issue, I spent $5 on my little bottle of oil (at what I'm sure was not a bargain price per oz) 2 months ago & it's still a little over half full. It only ever takes a drop or 2 at a time.
#22 of 83 Old 06-14-2004, 02:37 AM

I find it best to dilute the lime juice I use - else it leaves red splotches on my skin where it drips... oops.
Yeah, I'm lovin' this baking soda thing. I tried the honey this morning, but it was really frustrating (not nearly as easy as just baking soda), and I didn't notice it helping my hair at all compared to plain baking soda... I think I'll stick to the plain baking soda for now - but it was fun to try! It smelled lovely. I might just use it on my face of something.

I was wondering why other people were really worried about "going no poo" - I mean, couldn't they just try the baking soda and lemon/lime-juice/acv once and see if they liked it? If not, back to their regular shampoo? I'm a little confused about the huge amount of hesitation and fear I sense coming from others. Maybe I'm reading too much into their messages.
#23 of 83 Old 06-14-2004, 03:46 AM

Helloooooooooo ladies!!!! I haven't posted for quite awhile since my routine got quite simple and is pretty much "what we do" instead of something new, YKWIM?? Plus.....alot of these ladies on the thread have become experts, so I don't feel I have much new to offer!

Becky.......your hair type is exactly the type that would benefit extraordinarily from ending the shampoo cycle!! Check out:

http://fravia.anticrack.de/shampa1.htm

Welcome all new converts!! Ya know, dante....I got some resistence when I first started this too. Most people know how I am though, so they weren't surprised Shame on you alexis & piles!!!! Falling off the wagon like that C'mon girls......I'll give ya a hand to climb back up.....

If you need some inspiration, on the previous threads, lots of the no-poo mamas included pix.

I'm a no-fuss, no-muss kinda gal. If I'm trying something new...it has to be simple for me to stick with. Here's my routine: once every other week or so.....a little bit of lavender oil scented baking soda (shake some EO into your baking soda box) in my palm, make a paste by adding water (while in shower). I scrub my scalp, really concentrating at the crown and underneath....then rinse. Next, I dump some ACV on my hair and let it in while I shave or wash....then I rinse. Tah dahhhhhh!

Okey dokey...gotta run.....wahooooo for no-poo!

Lisa
#24 of 83 Old 06-14-2004, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

OK.

Bought a fifth of dirt-cheap, paint-thinner-type vodka & mixed it with a handful of chamomile to infuse (I love my chamomile hair rinse). Now can anyone tell me how to use it when it's done? :LOL I'd like to get advice from someone who's used it on their hair before. If I can't, though, I will forge ahead and reinvent the wheel.

I should dilute it, right? How much? Do I rinse it out? Is it drying?

Also went & got a boar-bristle brush. Sally Beauty Supply was where some other folks mentioned & they did have a 100% bristle one for $7 (compare to $20 at the h.f.s.) My hair's moderately thick but this brush is stiff enough to do OK. It takes a slightly different flick of the wrist (and you have to use a comb to detangle first). But it makes my hair very shiny & soft & seems to lift body into it somehow.

Looking good. My hair keeps that "washed" look for about 1/2 day longer (after actually washing) each week. Keeps getting shinier too.
#25 of 83 Old 06-14-2004, 02:23 PM

Hi all! I haven't posted here in a while either... My No poo routine is going well. I use bs 1-2x a week, and either just a hot water rinse or nothing in between. I put about 2 TBS bs in a cup, add water, mix it up, pour it on my head and rub in. then rinse out. I didn't like the ACV cause it made my scalp too dry. I will try to add the honey in too.

In general I think my scalp is better.... I have dandruff, and sometimes it seems worse, but in general it's better.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#26 of 83 Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 AM

spyiispy - so you do your routine every other week? and just water then in between? do you rinse w/ water daily?

i went from doing my routine (bs/ avc) 1 x a week to every other day now that summer is here. it seems like my hair is getting oilier faster. of course, i have also stopped dying my hair, so that might be part of it, as the natural balance starts to take over.

anyone going swimmning much? i'm curious how the clorine/salt water is affecting people's hair. i'm going to florida in july, and will be going in the pool a bit, and definetly the ocean. i'm wondering what to expect.... technically the ocean should be fine, as it is like using bs, right?

yeah for no poo!!!
(i'm into my 6th month)

#27 of 83 Old 06-15-2004, 01:00 PM

Mona....yes, normally every other week or so (the full routine). Once in awhile, I'll just do an ACV rinse, if I need a pick-me-up. Its gotten very simple and I love it! Plus...no more breakage. On the swimming thing....if you can remember...try to saturate your hair with water first....so the cholorinated water can't soak into your hair. Yeah, the ocean actually would be good for your hair (seaweek & minerals & stuff)...just remember to rinse when you can, though.....cuz salt water is very drying.

Just wanted to caution y'all who are using vodka. It IS a great product build-up remover and will make your hair nice & shiny. Just make sure to rinse it off completely.....as it is alcohol and could be very damaging if left on to dry. You guys will have to tell me which you like better, the vodka or the ACV. Seems like a waste to be pouring good vodka over your head

Lisa
#28 of 83 Old 06-15-2004, 01:16 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread. I have been looking for an alternative to 'poo for months and this sounds like it might work for me. I have resorted to buying Aveda shampoo and conditioner which is $16 a bottle and has evil lauryl sulfates and parabens. Also, the kids inevitably dump half into their bath. Plus, it seems like my scalp is getting oilier and oilier. :

I'm on my way to buy bs and rosemary eo and lemons.

Thank you!

wave.gif
#29 of 83 Old 06-15-2004, 01:58 PM

I suppose it's been about a month of no-poo for me. I've done bs +/- honey & either acv or rwv & been reasonably pleased. I tend to be very oily. On a whim, I added a few drops of Dr. Bronner's to my bs & I am even more pleased! I find that it feels cleaner to me & I am more comfortable washing every 2 days.
#30 of 83 Old 06-15-2004, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

So it should be either vodka OR vinegar? I was going to add a slug of vodka to my chamomile tea that I use after vinegar (& don't rinse out ... wow ... glad you mentioned that). I know if I use too much vinegar my hair gets limp, like overconditioned. Don't want that to happen from vodka on top of vinegar.

Maybe I'll experiment in the middle of the week this week, what with the vodka thing. My next regular day to wash would be right before Father's Day brunch with my inlaws ... who are highly skeptical about such radical commie pinko notions as no-poo.

So I need my hair to look phenomenal that day :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page